KLF-30, Cornwall, Heresy and Klipschorn

InventiveAudio.com

Hi,

I love all my Klipsch speakers but am not as pleased with the Cornwalls. They seem to be a bit harsh at times where the Heresys and Klipschorns seem more balanced. The Klipschorns and some Heresys are part of a 5 speaker setup that I use with a Pioneer Elite 47A DVD, SACD, DVD-A player and a 15" home brewed passive sub powered by a mono B&K amp. The Cornwalls are also part of a 5 speaker setup with the Heresys being used as a center, and rears. I also have the same 5 channel amp and preamp for both setups. The only difference between the two setups is the DVD/CD player and room accoustics. I'm currently using a Pioneer 414 player. Anyway, I'm thinking of selling my Cornwalls and buying the KLF-30's. Has anyone here done a side by side and can give me their opinion of how each one plays? I'll be running them with a 12" passive sub that crosses over at or around 80hz.

Thanks

The reason the Corns sound harsh is that Pioneer receiver! Another forum member was ready to part with all his Klipsch speakers in his theater because of it until he chnaged his amplification. It's the Pioneer receiver that is making them sound harsh.

I don't have a Pioneer receiver. I have a 5 channel monoblock Sherbourn amp that I compared A/B to a tube amp and both me and my friend, who is a tube nut, couldn't decide on a winner. I also have a highly rated preamp. I do have the Corn mounted high in the room (10 ft.) and they are on their side so maybe this has something to do with it. My even when I had my other Cornwall 2's mounted on the floor the upper part of the music would overwhelm the bass section when the music was crancked and they souned a little grainy. I think it is the way the corns are crosses. My Klipschorns have a custom 3-way crossover and I can adjust the crossover points. I think this is probably the solution. Any suggestions?

The Cornwalls are 10ft off the floor? That could be a reason right there. They are losing a lot of their bass output being that far away from the floor.

I had a similar problem with brightness in my 5 Cornwall system but months of playing around with speaker placement, bass management, and speaker levels made most of it go away....oh yeah I added more subwoofers too.

Laters,

Jeff