Industrial Lascala vs. Lascala

anarchist

Hi people,

Those in the know, please explain the differences between these. Visually, it appears the industrial model is meant to be in a corner. It also has that funky exterior material. What other differences in terms of components, power handling, and most importantly sound and imaging?

The industrial one uses a different woofer which sacrifices a little low end but gains with the ability to handle more watts. Klipsch felt all speakers benefitted from corner placement. But the industrial doesn't need a corner any less or any more than the home version. The bottom part of the industrial isn't wedge shaped.

Thanks Paul. That was a very nice and informative reply. I guess I will skip them. I thought maybe the bottoms were also shaped the same way as the top hence the corner question. I thought perhaps if I could grab some Lascala cheap, I would do it. I shall wait, unless my impulsiveness gets the better of me, and just purchase some Khorns when the time comes.

I had posted a spec sheet on the industrial unit in Technical Questions. You can find it with a search. There is also a paper by PWK on the LS.

It is my understanding that there have been several versions of Industrial. Some were plywood with edge protection, others had a fiberglass coating. The latter I saw in a pawn shop in Texas, those were only the bass bin and no upper was there . . . otherwise I'd be tempted.

At least some had a separable top unit which was wedge shaped. My guess is that the theory was that you can put that on a stand.

As mentioned the Industrial has a more bullet proof woofer which is generally said to not have as much bass.

Gil

I don't think I will ever really understand how the LaScala and Klipschorn can sound so different from one another: Same tweeter, same midrange/horn, and same basic networks. You would think with the exception of the bass, that they would sound near identical -- but they don't. Still, the LaScala has it's own intoxicating flavor. I like the industrial version because I think it might be more rigid -- which is a good thing. Then you have a top which is completely isolated from the bottom -- another good thing. Lastly, with a good refinish job -- it would look really cool too. I actually think they would match up well with your EL-34s.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:18:21 AM AK-4 wrote:

I don't think I will ever really understand how the LaScala and Klipschorn can sound so different from one another: Same tweeter, same midrange/horn, and same basic networks. You would think with the exception of the bass, that they would sound near identical -- but they don't. Still, the LaScala has it's own intoxicating flavor. I like the industrial version because I think it might be more rigid -- which is a good thing. Then you have a top which is completely isolated from the bottom -- another good thing. Lastly, with a good refinish job -- it would look really cool too. I actually think they would match up well with your EL-34s.

----------------

What's GREAT in the split industrial version is that if you plan to tweak it later by using different midrange horns and tweeters, you can do so without having to actually modify the stock cabinet. You just remove the top cab and build your own.

The La Scala Industrial has a high power woofer, K-43. It can absorb 250 watts vs. 100 for the K-33-E. The K-43 woofer gives up some low bass in a K-horn cabinet, but I'm not sure it does in the La Scala. There isn't any anyway. The obvious finish difference is to protect it from road damage and most LSIs, if not all have internal beaces in the bass horn to more strength. Not all LSIs are 2-piece.

The industrials, since the drivers were in two cabinets, are great for stacking. In 80's we had portable DJ/PA systems with 2 industrialets per side, stacked from bot to top: Bass bin, bass bin, mid/high, mid/high. That way the horns reinforced each other, low end shocked the dance floor, and the top mid/highs were just above head level if on a moderate riser.

Used to cut their heads CLEAN OFF!!

Think we bi-amped using Crown DC300's, They may have been special ordered without any low/mid crossovers, just the one in the mid/high bin. We put wheels on the backs of the bass bins, you'd just tip them up, throw all the cables inside the 'W' portion, and shove em on the freight elevators. Had some great times at some of Indy's best ballrooms. I especially remember a very kooky 'Hairdressers Ball', Little Michael's first glimpse at how the other side lived LOL!

Wish I had a few of those babies now. Ours (at Calliope Sound, Indy, now Indy Pro Audio) were FIBERGLASSED with ALUMINUM EDGING. They were indestructible!!!

Michael

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I see them on ebay from time to time.

The the top cabinet seems to be easier to find then the bottoms. I picked up a pair of tops on ebay than a forum member sold a set of bottoms a both a month later.

Its kinda fun putting klipsch speakers set together this way and it save a lot buying this way.

Industrial lascalas came raw,paint , textured paint and fiberglass covered. Trim was added to the fiberglass and textured ones. They also came in two part or one piece.

The two part tops which have the triangle shaped were designed this way to save space when used on the road. They also could be stacked on the top of bass bins easy this way and aimed in different directions.

I used some of the lasala tops with khorn bottoms when I had them in a smaller room and needed to aim the mids/highs in a little.

I really like the look of the industrial lascalas my favorite are the first ones from early 60's with horizontal bass cabs and top drivers exposed in flat black.

The industrials, since the drivers were in two cabinets, are great for stacking. In 80's we had portable DJ/PA systems with 2 industrialets per side, stacked from bot to top: Bass bin, bass bin, mid/high, mid/high. That way the horns reinforced each other, low end shocked the dance floor, and the top mid/highs were just above head level if on a moderate riser.

Used to cut their heads CLEAN OFF!!

Think we bi-amped using Crown DC300's, They may have been special ordered without any low/mid crossovers, just the one in the mid/high bin. We put wheels on the backs of the bass bins, you'd just tip them up, throw all the cables inside the 'W' portion, and shove em on the freight elevators. Had some great times at some of Indy's best ballrooms. I especially remember a very kooky 'Hairdressers Ball', Little Michael's first glimpse at how the other side lived LOL!

Wish I had a few of those babies now. Ours (at Calliope Sound, Indy, now Indy Pro Audio) were FIBERGLASSED with ALUMINUM EDGING. They were indestructible!!!

Michael

Saw this old thread come up. Well my Klipsch Dreams came true. Just a few months after this post, I did a BIN for a pair of split industrial LS with the fibreglass/aluminum in Detroit. Drove the truck the 5 hours up there, met member Picky and picked up my babies.

This summer picked up a second set of bass bins with IndyKlipschFan in a marathon drive to Miami where we got 6 bass bins and 4 mid/hi packs out of a church in mint shape.

Recently Forum member dtel pointed out a pair to me in New Orleans and was kind enough to go pick them and abuse them until I can get down to Miss to pick them up. So now my stack is 8 FEET TALL!

So they are out there. Just keep shopping and post here. Check ebay frequently, and if you see a BIN, DO IT and figure out the transportation later. On the last pair, I just contacted the seller, asked for a BIN, then jumped on it in the middle of the night when he set it up. It's luck, determination and perseverence that will land your dream speakers...

Michael

• 6 years later...