Rookie needs some help

D-Rex

Hello all! I am just now trying to put together a system but I do want to get my money's worth. I have been reading for a couple of days and it seems I have already made a "mistake." I had some Best Buy credit so I bought an SC-1 center channel and a Yamaha 5740 receiver. I have been fairly impressed with the receiver and the center channel seems to be okay as well. Where I made the mistake was thinking that all Klipsch speakers were the same. it seems to me that I should be focusing on obtaining the reference series and not the synergy series.

So, here is where I need the help. Where is the best place to look for a good deal for the reference series? Should I keep my SC-1, will it mix well with some reference series floor speakers? I was about to buy a JBL 250W subwoofer (12 INCH POWERED SUBWOOFER WITH 250 WATT DIGITAL AMPLIFIER BLACK (Jbl NORTHRIDGEE250P)) for my system, good move or bad? The price, $234, seemed very affordable. Can I build a respectable system around the Yamaha 5740 or should I have sprung for a better receiver? Got any other advice?

Take care,

D-Rex

dont get the JBL sub they made crappy 2004 editions if you can find the 2001 with the down firing 12 with the 600 watt amp. or just stick with a Full set of klipsch. but then again thats all opinion.(but ive seen the JBL 12 with 250w in action to others and its not really all that great, personally id get a Klipsch, Polk or Infinity subs.)

Also for right around 300 bucks if you have time you can create your own sub. Ive got picks of one i did that would blow away most stuff. 600watts,Polk 12inch sub, max movement total from top to bottom is like 2 1/2 inchs at 18 hz, and its about the size of your 15 inch monitor but weighs about 40 pounds.

http://www.free-image-hosting.org/pic.php?pic=6/17400574571.jpg

http://www.free-image-hosting.org/pic.php?pic=6/17400570357.jpg

A all synergy theater will not dissapoint, but it also is not on the same level of the reference series. If you want to keep it on a low budget, go all synergy. Its not bad, but also not the best. If you have higher expectations, go reference. If you do though, ditch the center... itll be a mismatch and will have trouble keeping up.

I only heard the multi-media Klipsch GMX A-2.1 satellites, with their 150-watt sub-woofer, briefly at preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas, but I was very impressed with it for the money. If I was starting out, I might go the compressed PC-MP3-free music route with a DVD player and multi-media PC loudspeakers. This is something like I would get for my grown daughter.

Please post your movie and music tastes, room dimensions, speakers and front-end equipment in your system profile, this will help forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers.

9.gif

Go the Synergy system. You know it's a tonally matched system with good dynamics. Later you could upgrade your mains for a set of reference series, keep the other Synergy speakers, and improve your 2 channel listening while enjoying the full benefits of 5.1 when you choose. There's nothing wrong with the lower cost Yamaha's when used with higher sensitivity speakers like Klipsch. I would be reluctant to mix and match like you're thinking - you might do your money.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 7:41:50 AM schwock5 wrote:

I'm selling a Klipsch KSW-12 440w down-firing sub for ~ 300 if you are interested. Are you in the Boston Area?

----------------

Unfortunately no, I am in Tulsa but it certainly sounds like something I would have been interested in..

Someone else asked for my music/movie preferences:

Music: Classic Rock and Country are probably my favorites. I listen to alot of Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Garth, George Jones & Strait, Bad Company, Nirvana, and U2 but I also have some Salt and Pepper and Kid Rock that I like to play. I guess I am probably all over the board here...

Movies: THe Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Star Wars, A Knight's Tale, The Matrix, Austin Powers, and, since I have two little girls, most anything Disney animated, such as Finding Nemo, Brother Bear, Piglets Big Movie, ets. (more information than needed?!?) 9.gif

Thanks again all! I will certainly take everything under advisement.

D-Rex

----------------

On 6/23/2004 7:02:08 AM edwinr wrote:

Go the Synergy system. You know it's a tonally matched system with good dynamics. Later you could upgrade your mains for a set of reference series, keep the other Synergy speakers, and improve your 2 channel listening while enjoying the full benefits of 5.1 when you choose. There's nothing wrong with the lower cost Yamaha's when used with higher sensitivity speakers like Klipsch. I would be reluctant to mix and match like you're thinking - you might do your money.

----------------

So, I could get the Synergy floor speakers and then, when I have the funds, I can get another pair of reference speakers and move the synergys to be the 'B' speakers? Sounds like a good plan to me, is that what you are saying?

Thanks,

D-Rex

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:48:40 AM Gamble270 wrote:

dont get the JBL sub they made crappy 2004 editions if you can find the 2001 with the down firing 12 with the 600 watt amp. or just stick with a Full set of klipsch. but then again thats all opinion.(but ive seen the JBL 12 with 250w in action to others and its not really all that great, personally id get a Klipsch, Polk or Infinity subs.)

----------------

Hey Gamble, can you be a bit more specific about what makes them crappy? Building a sub is an interesting idea but probably not one very do-able for me right now. But, it is an option I certainly haven't considered.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 9:19:30 AM D-Rex wrote:

Hey Gamble, can you be a bit more specific about what makes them crappy? Building a sub is an interesting idea but probably not one very do-able for me right now. But, it is an option I certainly haven't considered.

----------------

JBL cuts a lot of corners with the Northridge series. That 250W sub you're talking about really starts to growl (not a good thing!) when you push it even slightly - and with Klipsch up top, you'll end up finding that out.

If you're pretty well locked into the price point ($300) for a sub, I'd got with the DIY option. Otherwise, plan on springing a little bit more ($5-600) to get something solid that will hang with your Reference up top.

yeah that JBL series woofer doesnt compete at all, the MDF wood they use is very crappy as well and when pushed to hard will start flexing the box(Mutch like the old series but with worse sound) the old version was remarkable and sounded great with almost pure sound quality(my opinion) and suggest a somewhat different alternative(If you have the time to make the woofer sound the way you like.)

like i was saying if you get a woofer say a long throw 10 with a rms of 400 and a 300 watt amp(around 300 or 350 bucks) plus 50$ for wood and some time to test Ported and Sealed (maybe even bandpass)styles you can really get a good idea on what will sound good. Personally that sub i showed you is mutch like the Infinity HT subs and will put out mutch better sound from a ported enclosure. but everyone likes doing their own thing and has opinions about stuff. Id say if you goto a store get the Yamaha 1000w 10inch if they still have it or just test some subs with a 30 day return policy and see what you like.

Funny thing is that Sub is a Car Subwoofer for 120$ (Polk DX 12 inch wich is currently discontinued) and the Kiegta Amp was 229$ with 600watts rms. you can do annything when you have the stuff infront of you. Plus you own the room it goes in, start testing things and have the option to try others as well. your ear is better than ours and can only give you input.

Well I started off looking at Best Buy like yourself and almost bought from there until I came here. Then I went to Ultimate Electronic and listened to the Reference series and fell in love with them. Unfortunetly I couldn't afford them so I went on line to find a better price.

Brandnamez.com has a brand new RW-10 for $330 which sounds like it fits your budget. If your room isn't to big it should do the job.

http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1205&lastcatid=161&step=4

I picked up the RW-12 from them for $429 and love it. I also picked up my Center channel and other speakers from them. They are not an authroized dealer so you are taking a chance with them, but the prices are hard to beat.

I have a Yamaha 5760 and it sounds great with the Klipsh speakers I bought. Can't complain about the price either, I got it for $350.

Funny you should mention Car subs. I made a couple of End Tables with Oak door skin, oak molding, and false oak doors. The box was made out of High Density particle board, and ported out the back to Rockfords Specifications. I made two enclosures with each housing a 12" 8ohm Rockford Fosgate Punch Car Sub-woofer. Upon testing the boxes, there respond exactly as they should. Port dimensions were exact as well as enclosure size. I was lucky in that I had the optimum enclosure dimensions for those particular speakers, so designing the boxes were more exact than trial and error.

For the sound effects of 80hz and down, these boxes do an outstanding job and sound better and smoother then most integrated subs I've heard on the market. I built them in 1991 and they're still kicking strong. I paid $200 for the speaker pair and have about $100 in material. Found a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Nikko receiver for $75 that I use exclusively to power the two cabinets. So...$375 into it, I have more bass than I know what to do with. I find that I have to setup my sub level on the receiver to -15db, as well as having to turn the gain on the amp down to keep it balanced. This means I'm not overdriving them....(good sign, lots of head room left).

So, if you have a little 'Do it yourself' in you....and some extra time, I would highly recommend this route. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I'll post a better picture tonight...., the end-table has the woofer fireing down, and is ported out the back.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34291.jpg

What is your budget or what are you willing to spend?

I have, and I think most here, have made the mistake of buying something and then upgrading shortly thereafter. You really spend alot of money that way.

If it were me in your shoes with the limited knowledge of only your comments in your post, I would save for the Reference line and not waste my money on the Synergy line.

If you do this then your current center will not work so well however it will work better as a rear center.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 1:05:02 PM PhilMays wrote:

What is your budget or what are you willing to spend?

I have, and I think most here, have made the mistake of buying something and then upgrading shortly thereafter. You really spend alot of money that way.

If it were me in your shoes with the limited knowledge of only your comments in your post, I would save for the Reference line and not waste my money on the Synergy line.

If you do this then your current center will not work so well however it will work better as a rear center.

----------------

Excellent idea Phil! I was trying to figure out what I would do with the extra center channel speaker if I did go with the reference speakers in the near future. I spent $170 for it so I wasn't wanting to just chalk it up as a learning experience!

My budget fluctuates but I was looking to spend about $1000 for the subwoofer and floor speakers. However, I could easily wait a few months, maybe even close to christmas and have closer to $2000 to spend (some of that coming in the form of a gift, of course.)2.gif

I will need to try and budget in a good DVD recorder as well though... So, where is the best place to find a good price on these reference speakers? Surely Ultimate Electronics isn't the only place...