Rookie needs some help

D-Rex

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:45:58 PM mike89t wrote:

Well I started off looking at Best Buy like yourself and almost bought from there until I came here. Then I went to Ultimate Electronic and listened to the Reference series and fell in love with them. Unfortunetly I couldn't afford them so I went on line to find a better price.

Brandnamez.com has a brand new RW-10 for $330 which sounds like it fits your budget. If your room isn't to big it should do the job.

I picked up the RW-12 from them for $429 and love it. I also picked up my Center channel and other speakers from them. They are not an authroized dealer so you are taking a chance with them, but the prices are hard to beat.

I have a Yamaha 5760 and it sounds great with the Klipsh speakers I bought. Can't complain about the price either, I got it for $350.

----------------

Where did you get a Yamaha 5760 for $350? I spent $300 for the 5740 so I might be willing to take that back just for the upgrade in the receiver!

I will look into those subwoofers because I do think I would like to add that sometime over the next two months but I certainly wasn't wanting to have an inferior sub to my floor speakers. So, if I am planning for the reference series it sounds like I need a strong sounding sub.

Thanks again all!

D-Rex

----------------

On 6/23/2004 1:40:11 PM D-Rex wrote:

Where did you get a Yamaha 5760 for $350? I spent $300 for the 5740 so I might be willing to take that back just for the upgrade in the receiver!

I will look into those subwoofers because I do think I would like to add that sometime over the next two months but I certainly wasn't wanting to have an inferior sub to my floor speakers. So, if I am planning for the reference series it sounds like I need a strong sounding sub.

Thanks again all!

D-Rex

----------------

If you are patient I've seen it go on sale at Best Buy for $399 every once in a while.

I picked it up online at shopsunshine.com Again I was on a budget and was willing to take the risk with buying from an online store. I didn't need the receiver right away so I was willing to wait a week or so for it to be shiped. With shipping it cost $358.99 and I didn't have to pay taxes on it. Best Buy sells it for $499.

http://www.shopsunshine.com/Items.asp?PId=1072

It's way better than the 5740. A lot more power and features than the 5740.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 2:14:32 PM mike89t wrote:

If you are patient I've seen it go on sale at Best Buy for $399 every once in a while.

I picked it up online at shopsunshine.com Again I was on a budget and was willing to take the risk with buying from an online store. I didn't need the receiver right away so I was willing to wait a week or so for it to be shiped. With shipping it cost $358.99 and I didn't have to pay taxes on it. Best Buy sells it for $499.

http://www.shopsunshine.com/Items.asp?PId=1072

It's way better than the 5740. A lot more power and features than the 5740.

----------------

Yes, another sign of BB trying to rip me off!! The JBL subwoofer I mentioned earlier is $499 at BB but I found it on-line for $235! Now, come to find out from others here that it probably isn't even that great a quality sub makes it even worse that BB wants $499 for it!

I will order the 5760 and take my 5740 right back to BB!

Thanks a ton!

PS. To everyone, if I seem overly appreciative for all of your help then please understand that I am a real rookie at all of this and need extensive training to get up to speed. That probably means I will be hanging around here trying to learn before I go spend another dollar... and I will be avoiding Best Buy.

D-Rex

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:17:08 PM Gamble270 wrote:

Funny thing is that Sub is a Car Subwoofer for 120$ (Polk DX 12 inch wich is currently discontinued) and the Kiegta Amp was 229$ with 600watts rms. you can do annything when you have the stuff infront of you. Plus you own the room it goes in, start testing things and have the option to try others as well. your ear is better than ours and can only give you input.

----------------

Thanks Gamble, you have had some good ideas and info to share!

D-Rex

This is what I would do.

Can you still take your center channel speaker back? If so, do when you take your reciever back also. If not, then it should work in the mean time as a center channel.

What I would do is just start out with the front mains and get something from the reference line, such as the RF-35s. As you get more funds, add on to the system. If you cannot return that SC-1 speaker, you could use it in a pinch and when you get a better center, use it as a rear center. If you got an old pair of speakers laying around not doing anything, use those as the rear surrounds until you get the funds to upgrade to something that matches your mains (or get better mains and move your current mains to surrounds). It is not as important to get the rears to match exactly as the fronts, although it is desirable.

Basically, you're building up a system piece-by-piece as you save up the funds.

----------------

Brandnamez.com has a brand new RW-10 for $330 which sounds like it fits your budget. If your room isn't to big it should do the job.

I picked up the RW-12 from them for $429 and love it. I also picked up my Center channel and other speakers from them. They are not an authroized dealer so you are taking a chance with them, but the prices are hard to beat.

I----------------

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5705641734&rd=1

THis guy believes brandnamez is selling "seconds." I suppose I wouldn't mind if the price was right.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 6:15:45 PM skonopa wrote:

This is what I would do.

Can you still take your center channel speaker back? If so, do when you take your reciever back also. If not, then it should work in the mean time as a center channel.

What I would do is just start out with the front mains and get something from the reference line, such as the RF-35s. As you get more funds, add on to the system. If you cannot return that SC-1 speaker, you could use it in a pinch and when you get a better center, use it as a rear center. If you got an old pair of speakers laying around not doing anything, use those as the rear surrounds until you get the funds to upgrade to something that matches your mains (or get better mains and move your current mains to surrounds). It is not as important to get the rears to match exactly as the fronts, although it is desirable.

Basically, you're building up a system piece-by-piece as you save up the funds.

----------------

I am still so confused but I am going to go to Ultimate Electronics sometime over the next two weeks and hear the RF-35's and, if I like them I will probably do as you suggest.

When I was at best buy I like the sound ot the Athena brand speakers and I found a pair pretty cheap on-line. Do you know anything about them?

I can't find a piece of the packing that I would need to take the center channel back so I think I will have to keep it but moving it to the back center channel is a good option. Got any ideas on the best place on the internet to buy a pair of RF-35s?

Thanks for the help,

D-Rex

----------------

Check this out:

THis guy believes brandnamez is selling "seconds." I suppose I wouldn't mind if the price was right.

----------------

Well they aren't an authorized dealer so most likely they are selling gray market products. That means Klipsch won't cover the manafactures warrenty. The speakers I got from them were brand new and sealed in the original box. I didn't see any defects with any of them. If you do buy from them make sure you check out the speakers before the 7 days are up. After that they don't accept exchanges. Again for me I had a strict budget and was willing to take the risk. Fortunetly it all worked out for me and they sound great.

I agree with skonopa.

The only thing I might add is if you could find a set of RF-3's at a substantial discount. The RF-35's are the replacement model and for the life of me I can't tell the difference between the two. The 35's are great speakers (I would not go below the 35's) and I feel for the money are Klipsch's best dollar to value product.

I have a pair of RF-3's that I love and would not hesitate using that set-up at all.

The center channel speaker RC-3 I did not like at all. It sounded very weak and thin. I think they have improved the RC-35 but others would have to give there thought on that. If you could swing it I would highly reccomend saving for the RC-7 as it is one of the best center channel speakers I have ever listened to. The only other center I think sounded better was the B & W Nautilus speaker @ $2,000....it better sound better at that price.

Hope that helps some.