KSW-15 vs. Velodyne CT150 - opinions wanted

Tenhet

I plan on purchasing a sub soon - hopefully within the next 2 or so weeks. I have read many different comments/opinions of subs on this board. So many that I am getting kinda confused. I have budgeted to spend $500 to $600.

so.. here's my request --- Opinions on KSW-15 or Velodyne CT150. The size/height of the SVS subs are not gona work for me for some time (until I buy a bigger house).

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - Academy (Black)

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

Scott, check with DillonW... Bill has just wrestled with the same issue in depth and opted for the Velo. I have had a lot of good results with the KSW-15 as a cost effective, bottom firing sub. Happy hunting... HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Walnut Cornwall / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

I was just quoted $599 for a Paradigm PW 2200. It would take two almost three of either subs you have mentioned to best the PW 2200 at 20-25 HZ.

I like both subs you mentioned but for bang for buck I think the Paradigm is the best in that price range.

Hey RWMIN did you get rid of your HGS 12? If so, why did you?

If you pick up that PW-2200 you will be glad you did, it can run with the big boys Wink.gif

I am pleased with the sub, we all know Seb the bass fanatic is happy with it - you can't go wrong!

I have the CT150, it was the best of what I had to physically demo. It can be had for just over $500 with shipping. It is a tank, weighing in at 83lbs. They either built alot of quality in it, or just lined it with lead. I have been happy with mine, but thats simply because it was the best available for demo. I have a feeling if I listened to HornEd's SVSs, that would change very quickly. I was also very interested in the PW2200, but unfortunatly was unable to demo it so I cannot provide a head to head comparison. It costs about $100 more, and may be the better choice given your budget. Those here who have one seem to be pretty pleased.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

Yep, the HGS 12 is on it's way to Prior Lake MN. My wife is not pleased with my decision to sell that one. I want one of TV's CS-Ultas SOOOO bad but I've been thinking that if I buy the Paradigm at $599 I can ALSO buy my friends daughters ATV off of him for my kids with the rest of the money from the sell of my Velodyne. I think that my wife might like that more then me being totally selfish and getting what I want. Also, I should double the HGS 12's output for less then half of what I paid for it.

BTW with the Velodynes 6:1 compression ratio I needed something else for HT as when something went BOOM there was nearly no increase. I could turn up the volume high enough to make me smile but the rest of a movie soundtrack was terribly overpowered with bass and totally unnatural. I simply "love" the "QUALITY" of bass from that Velodyne but I find that I am more into HT then music where my wife is more into music then HT so she isn't to happy with my choice. I think that she will be happy with either the Paradigm or SVS whichever I end up with and that will be a good thing for both of us.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 07-17-2001 at 09:39 PM

Yall (ya gotta love the southern accent) have stirred my curosity in Paradigm. I had listened to several Paradigms last week but I do not believe that the 2200 was one of them. My local "high-end" dealer carries Paradigm and I was told that they were getting a shipment in soon. The salesman is a good guy but the owner really lacks personality and salesmanship. I avoid the store when he is there and hate to spend my $$$ there. Oh well, when there are limited sources you do the best with what you got.

Scott

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - Academy (Black)

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

I went to my local dealer today to audition the PW2200 again and they had it marked for $798.00 I pulled out my notes from when and who I got a quote from and they honored it so I bought the Paradigm PW2200 today. I'm lucky to have been quoted that from a manager and to my surprise they actually offered to let me take the one off the floor home untill my new one gets in(2-3 weeks).

The PW2200 sounds very similar to my Velodyne but with more output. I really like that!

Hey Scott

I picked up the Demo PW2200 yesterday until my new one comes in. I think you'll love it. I like it more then my HGS 12! The 12 seemed to go deeper but it also seemed slower then the Paradigm. I have only had the PW2200 in the room for a night so I haven't got to see or listen to much but so far I think sounds better then my HGS 12 did. It is very detailed and authoritive!

Rwmin,

I have been too busy with work to get by my local Paradigm dealer to give it a listen. Hopefully within the next week can get by. Also, hopefully he will have one. He didn't have but 5 subs the other day and I do not believe that one of those was the PW2200. He's very pricy and doesn't budge from his price.

Thanks again for all the comments/suggestions,

Scott