I just bought two more RF-7s and an RC-7 - Question?

Vital

Should I run the two back RF-7s as back speakers or surround speakers? I don't have room for side surrounds until we move into our house so adding surrounds is not an option. I have been toying with it a little bit and it seems to sound better with them plugged in as left and right surround instead of back speakers.

I need to upgrade my receiver next. What would sound better, going with a nice pre-pro setup like B&K or using a nice preamp like the Peach in front of a high power HT receiver?

Congrats on the additional RF-7s. If I were you, I would run your rear RF-7s off of the side surround feeds. Remember most movies and discrete music run 5.1 to start with, which feeds from the side surround feed for the rear speakers. All 7.1 adds is a matrixed center, or a mirror signal, for both rear center channels. As for placement, you can still run 5.1 by placing your rear RF-7s to the corner rear, if you wish to do so (rather than to the side). Recently, I turned the room with my primary system around and ended up scrapping 7.2 for 5.2. My side surrounds moved to a rear corner position and away we went. Sometimes it is really better to have five outstanding speakers than seven that are - - just average.

As to upgrading your receiver, I would personally run a nice pre/pro and amp(s) vs. a nice preamp infront of a powerful HT receiver. With the right pre/pro and amp(s) set up, you can also enjoy smoothness out of SACD or DVD-Audio, should you wish. Although the second option is not a bad idea.

Lets run it up the flagpole and see what people think. Personally, I am there with decent SS separates to get the right sound of my Reference sevens. It took a while to find the right combination, but it was worth it. I also highly recommend Dean's (AK-4) RF-7 crossover mods. I had my RF-7s and my RC-7 done, and it was well worth it.

Just as an aside, quality wall treatments was the best purchase I made out of everything - including upgrading to sevens and separates. Man, what a difference.

Congrats no matter what way you go on the revised pre and power.

Carl.

I run the same setup. You should definitely set the new RF7s as sides. I put them to the side and a little bit behind the sweet spot. I use them for multi channel music and movies. I run them with a B&K Ref 50 and 200.5. They sound great! You really need to move them around, try toeing them in, until you find the best way to set them. I ended up toeing them all in toward the center, then moved them out so they don't point directly at the listener.

Congratulations! You will like them.1.gif

I too have 2 pairs of RF-7's, but due to the way my apartment living room is set up, I set them as rear surrounds, and use my RF-35's as the side surrounds, simply because the side surrounds are about 4 feet from my listening area, and I felt that the RF-7's would be overwhelming at such a close distance. I've never tried them as center surrounds, but I always figured that their power would be wasted 4 feet from my ears.

As for upgrading your receiver, if you're able to shell it out, you would certainly want to consider going seperates, as several have already stated. Continually upgrading your receiver can go on and on, but the next step is truly going to a seperate preamp and amp. Of course, to each his own, and this is only my opinion, but I went from a Pioneer Elite receiver to seperates, and the difference is most astounding.