Bought used Heresy from Salvation Army

mbryant56

Wheelman, like the Eddie Murphy skit on Saturday Night Live, Goodwill and Sal Army both open only on Saturdays at 10 am for the middle class. They discount all their merchandise by 80% and have cocktails at the end of every aisle if you get parched while shopping. Come on dude, people who shop there do it for two reasons - it helps others and it is a good way to save money. You may end up embarrassing yourself by displaying your prejudices.

Fini, the Macs are departed but I have a Pilot 232 and a Creek passive I would be glad to send out on loan for a month. Let me know...

What difference does it make whether you're poor or not if you shop at SA? The price they put on it is what they want and it keeps people who otherwise wouldn't be able to get a job through regular channels working. I've bought and donated lots of stuff to the SA. I've definitely donated more than I've bought because many times their stuff is a tad overpriced. I did pick up a Pioneer PL-530 turntable, for $15.00, at one about a year ago that I'm going to restore. I've taken lots stuff there and only recently got a receipt for my donation, just never bothered. In the better neighborhoods I've seen Lexus's, Merecedes, and Bimmers sitting in the parking lot. What's next, go to a yard sale and tell them their stuff is too cheap and they need to raise it, actually I done that one time and the seller was insulted and got pissed. I think he got a great deal and if he wants to donate something if he sells them so be it, if not so be it, I wouldn't. Try making it on $40-50K a year these days, I don't consider myself poor, I've got 2 great sons, a wife and a roof over my head. I can see this thread disappearing.

Grateful

>No envy here. I guess their is know need to donate to the Salvation Army. Especially if everything goes to the middle class.

That will help SA a lot. You just don't get it do you. Bet you didn't know that Goodwill runs rehab/training centers to help train people to get jobs when their down and out. The money people spend there is help others not make a profit, they don't care whether you're rich or poor. Without trying to judge people by their looks, I've only seen a few people in there shopping that looked like they really needed to be shopping there but when they climb out of a MB, BMW or Hummer yuou have to doubt they're there because they need to be. They're there looking for a bargain and trying to help someone in the same swipe. If it weren't for the middle and upper middle I doubt they would survive and if they fail it will hurt many others that need help the most.

Grateful

Nice score! Someone needs to get a grip regarding SA. They made $10. Big deal. I grabbed an 8mm film projector once for $20, thinking I stole it (it was mint!). I checked ebay for a street price; they were going for about $15.

Some days you're the statue, some days you're the pigeon.

You may end up embarrassing yourself by displaying your prejudices. LOL I think he already did!!

In the grunge days of Nirvana....second hand thrift stores, goodwill, and the salvation army cleaned up.... Lots of flannel and "already broken in" clothing. Funny thing to me is, a new Abercrombie outfits are made to look 20-30 years old.... for 80 bucks a pop..LOL.. And they call that progress!!!

For the uninformed, it does hold two purposes... the sales go for anyone who cares to buy rich or poor. But organizations also employ people to work, too, sorting out the stuff people donate. Either way, the organizations win and good $$ goes to people who need it too. Wheather you, I, or anyone else buys it doesn't mean squat.

There was just an article in our local paper where someone wrote into the editor and complained that some of the goods at GoodWill were actually quite expensive. They merely price the goods fairly and use the money towards their supported charities, its not per se a place for those who are not upwardly mobile to shop. If you do shop there even though you could go get something new, good for you: you've helped a good cause and you may just find they don't make 'em like they used to...

I am by no means embarrassed by what I said. Do you think I give a flying rats bottom. I give my sister sh!t for buying clothes there all the time. Getting the good clothes before the poor do. Some of you have good points though it is still cool to donate. No doubt! Hay do what you will at the goodwill! I'll still donate when the santa clauses come around.

Wow. Are you just refusing to get this, or are you having some fun at the bleeding hearts' expense?

As was stated before, the Salvation Army and Goodwill thriftstores, and others like them, exist for one purpose -- to raise funds for their BROADER charitable work. The thrift stores are not how they help the poor. The thrift stores are a mechanism for raising funds to help the poor.

They also don't give a flying rat's bottom who shops there. My money is the same color as everyone else's. Last time I went to Goodwill to buy something, there was no questionnaire to make sure I was poor enough, and last time I went to donate something, there was no questionnaire to make sure I was rich enough.

There is nothing wrong, in principle or in practice, with anybody at all shopping at Goodwill, and this is true regardless of their economic status. No matter who buys stuff there, the proceeds fund the activities. THAT is the purpose. Not to provide cheap stuff to people who can't afford it elsewhere -- but to raise funds to do things that they might not otherwise be able to do. Give your sister all the sh!t you want. She gives more to SA/GW by shopping there -- donating profits -- than you do by dropping some change in the bucket at Christmas time.

Hopefully this will be taken in the light-hearted manner in which it's intended.

Reading this thread I was reminded of something said in a used car commercial on the radio. In their effort to persuade one to buy "used" versus "new", they said:

"Just remember...everybody on the road is driving a used car."

I cracked up laughing at how obviously true that statement was. I think that applies to clothes, TV's, shoes....hell, even Mac amps! 9.gif

Tom

ps: congrats on the $10 Heresy score. Hang on to them if you can. They'll last a lifetime. I still have the ones I bought while in college and that was over....uh, well, nevermind. 1.gif

WOW, I didn't know me getting these speakers from the SA would cause such a reaction about the Salvation Army and thrift stores. You can frequent any of the ones in Auburn and since it is a college town they are always mucho crowded....

BUT.........I have hooked them up to my cheap *** set-up that I am running right now and they are EXQUISITE..... Simply amazing sums it up, they actually blew me away on some acoustic Sevendust... I have been flipping through the digital music channels on my cable and there hasn't been anything that doesn't sound awesome... I am now ready to put them in a larger room where sound will acutally carry and not be confined to the small space they are in now...

Also I e-mailed the customer service of Klipsch and they were extremely helpful since I gave them the serial numbers the guy told me that they were made in 1983 and all the original information from them right down to the color and all the specs. Thanks to the customer service dept. for this.

Thanks for all the inputs from everyone else...

Matt 9.gif9.gif9.gif

As far as clothes for the poor are concerned, they would do much better at Yard Sales than at SA. I've seen and bought practically new jeans and jeans shorts at Yard Sales for $0.50 to $1.00 and Lee and Levi's to boot. Every Yard Sale you go to has clothes for sell.

Grateful

I don't think middle class America (nor anyone on these boards) need feel guilty about shopping at Salvation Army stores. The stores are intended to raise money for the needy, not as a store FOR the needy.

According to the SA webpage, the Thrift Stores are the main source of revenue for their adult rehabilitation programs.

http://www.usc.salvationarmy.org/usc/www_usc_arc.nsf/vw-sublinks/80256D2C0037B69686256BD6006A9330?openDocument

Oh, and PS, Mike, we're all still green with ENVY over your purchase!

4.gif

HWO - What is that guys? Hard Wood Oiled?

I bought my Heresy's in the summer of 1981. They are the cheap raw birch unfinished model. $660 plus tax for the pair. I still have them despite the abuse that followed that summer.

Great find. Congratulations.

----------------

On 7/1/2004 11:11:20 PM cc1091 wrote:

HWO - What is that guys? Hard Wood Oiled?

I bought my Heresy's in the summer of 1981. They are the cheap raw birch unfinished model. $660 plus tax for the pair. I still have them despite the abuse that followed that summer.

Great find. Congratulations.

----------------

H = Heresy W = Walnut O = Oiled.2.gif

----------------

On 6/26/2004 5:34:59 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Damn, that was an awesome score! They sold new for $1100. The going rate now is anywhere from $350 to $500. Do you have pics? If you want to get rid of them, I'll take them, I need three more. Id be willing to pay 35 times the price you paid
9.gif

----------------

Hi,

I have a pair of near mint Heresys from 1980 for sale. I am asking $375 for the pair, but I don't want to risk them getting damaged by shipping. If you are interested in picking them up, I live in New Orleans and possibly could arrange to meet somewhere along the way. Please let me know if you are interested---these are truly great speakers. I just upgraded to the RF7 surround system and haven't used the Heresys since Christmas.

Thanks,

Jerry