Golden Tube se40

radiob

I was looking at those before I got my Consonance. They look like solid, well made amps. And from what I've read, they seem to be pretty good sounding as well. However, if I remember correctly, I think that Golden Tube Audio went out of business, but I could be wrong.

At any rate, good luck with it and I hope you like it. Let us know how it turns out. 2.gif

The SE-40s suffered maintenance issues due to some parts that were run at the edge of their envelopes. However, the sound was quite good (esp for the money) though the bass is generally a little wooly. Most folks recommend using the stock Sovteks (also Svet 6L6GCs or Chinese KT-66s) because the amp runs the output tubes pretty hard.

There is a site which sells upgrade kits (to address the previously mentioned parts issues):

http://www.soniccraft.com/upgrades/se40.htm

Enjoy!

Jeff

I run a pair or SE40s in mono on my Belles and they sound great. They are very smooth with a lot of excellent harmonics. I had one and it was very good but when I added the second it was truly amazing. More of everything and the slight softness in the bass was gone. Good luck with the amp. The main issue is that a couple of resistors are too close to the board and overheat. Once you fix that the amps will be trouble free. Regards, John

Check out http://www.soniccraft.com/upgrades/se40.htm. I have a person local to me that bought Khorns and had a SE40 that almost made him return the Khorns. He had me bring my amps and preamps over before he made the dreadful mistake. After hearing my amps he ask me if I was interested in upgrading the SE40 but I declined when finding that the above place specialized in that amp and suggested he have them do it. Once they had went through it he really enjoys the amp very much.

Craig

----------------

On 6/27/2004 11:21:33 PM edwinr wrote:

I think Golden Tube Audio went out of business? Their gear has had some good reviews. Especially the SE40.

----------------

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but thought that's what I heard somewhere. I could be, and just might be wrong. 2.gif

THanks for the upgade info. It looks like Ill have 850 in the amp with upgrades. At this money is it still worth it? Also, I notice you are using the blueberry, I am bidding on a dealer demo blueberry pre amp right now. What do you think the maximum this item is worth.Thanks again, 2 channel is a very informative place, it has brought me great information, I am here to stay. 9.gif