preferred receiver for klipsch?

JP3

Noob here, just brought home the low end reference system. while hooking up the wiring to the receiver, i bounced it (not a small one), and it's toast... is there a preferred home theater receiver recommended by Klipsch?

keep in mind i just spent a few shekels on the speakers... not much left....

thanks in advance

John

(dumba**)

Hi John,

I think you need to define what you mean by "low end Reference System"...ie. which speakers do you have.

Klipsch doesn't make any receiver recommendations, but I am sure once you elaborate on your speakers a bit...and how you intend to use them, you will get plenty of recommendations here.

It would also be helpful if you specified what your budget is.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 6/27/2004 6:46:55 PM JP3 wrote:

Noob here, just brought home the low end reference system. while hooking up the wiring to the receiver, i bounced it (not a small one), and it's toast... is there a preferred home theater receiver recommended by Klipsch?

keep in mind i just spent a few shekels on the speakers... not much left....

thanks in advance

John

(dumba**)

----------------

When you said "I bounced it, and it's toast", you mean you dropped the reciever and it is now busted? Is it brand new? If so, I'd take it back and tell them the thing is busted and see if you can get another one. If it was an older model, then at least it is an excuse for an upgrade.

Just how much money are you willing to spend on a reciever.

If $500 or less, then I'd go with something such as the Denon AVR-1803 (or whatever the newest one is now)

The Harmon-Kardon AVR-230 is another favorite

Although there are folks that say the Yamaha's are to "harsh" or "bright" with the Klipsch, there are as many that says they sound fine. Worth a look. To be honost, I hooked up my old Yamaha R-V702 pro-logic reciever to my RF-5s and to be honost, I was quite surprised at just how good it sounded.

"just brought home the low end reference system"

Rc 25, RF15's RS25's and the rsw10

If it was an older model, then at least it is an excuse for an upgrade.

Giddyup... that is what i tried to delay... funny though, i tried testing the bounced model (to see if it would actually work after falling from the top of a six foot ladder), and was using the some of the 12 gauge i pre-wired the HT with.. didn't fit in the back of the old receiver... go figure.. meant to be i guess.

Just how much money are you willing to spend on a reciever.

"If $500 or less" Bingo

thank for the suggestions

John (the idiot)

I get it this is a trick question "Which receiver...?" There is no right answer huh? Sorry just had to, yeah any Yamaha/Denon/HK/Pioneer Elite, etc...should do nicely. But be careful you may not get full power to all channels when selecting the less expensive models. What might work to your benefit is to look for a last years clear out/close out sale if any exist, that way you'll get a good receiver for hopefully a more palatable price. Good luck.

----------------

On 6/28/2004 9:30:47 AM yromj wrote:

For a $500 or less receiver, I would look into a Yamaha, Marantz, or Denon. You may be able to find a Denon 2803 for about that price since they're being discontinued.

John

----------------

What makes the Denon 2803 a better receiver than the Yamaha HTR-5760? Just going by price the Denon is between $100-150 more expensive...

Thanks,

D-Rex

I kind of agree with J.4knee. I would ever go a step further and suggest the used market. A/V receivers are kind of like computers these days. Some of them are obsolete in a few years. They end up for sale because someone just wants the latest and greatest. There is nothing wrong with them.

I just sold my Yamaha RX-V3000 for $500.00 to a friend and it's two or three years old. It cost $1,600.00 new. There is a guy on the Forum selling a RX-V3300 for $600.00. I may even offer him the money for it and use it for a few months, because I sold mine too soon. I havn't made up my mind which processor I'm going to get yet, and I don't want to go back on my word and not sell it to him now. Receivers that cost over $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 will sound a lot better then any $500.00 one.

I am selling a Denon 3802. It's used (by me), kept in an audio cabinet, with dust removed monthly. It is in perfect working condition. (A few months ago lightning struck my house, and there was a problem, but it was taken to an authorized Denon repair center and had a full check up and replacement of damaged parts, which Monster paid for, so essentially it's even newer.) I'm looking for ~500, if you're interested, let me know. This reciever kicks much ***, i'm just looking to upgrade to the newer ones for the component up-conversion since i use so many video game systems.

ok... this is a little crazy... but like many other posters on this board say, one mans gold is another mans garbage...

I've narrowed the search, by price/features and sound.

I'm down to the Denon, HK (models aforementioned) and finally the onkyo tx-sr701, and i think i'm leaning towards the onkyo... just for the THX more than anything else... i'm planning to grow into the klipsch THX...

any additional info i should know about?

btw.. the unit is $465 @ onkyo (recond - b product of course) but they threw in a DVD player, and with the 2 yr extended warranty, the thing will run me just over $525

would it be the correct decision?

John

Look for something that has high current. Another thing to look for is all channels driven when looking at the spec sheet of the amp. Most likely in your price range their is not an amp that is all channels driven. More like both channels driven, but this is better than one channel driven. Also look for the highest current amps it will do. Some receivers color their sound so listening yourself would be a wise choice if possible. But I know how that can be, and sometimes that is not possible. I personallly like harman, denon. I heard a Yammy once not with klipsch and it sounded good very detailed, and anymore that's what I am going for. The more inner detail the better. Man you can get some inner detail that will about scare you when an amp is good(wires too but we wont go there). That's what I want. I want a recording I heard for years freak me out because I never knew their was a sound in there.

----------------

On 6/28/2004 6:30:24 PM Q-Man wrote:

Receivers that cost over $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 will sound a lot better then any $500.00 one.
----------------

I feel that $1k is as high as I would go w/ a receiver. In my opinion anything beyond is past the point of diminishing returns. If you're going that high, go seperates.

As for the Yamaha vs. Denon, I was just pointing out the Denon because I knew it was being discontinued. If the Yamaha has the features you need, and is cheaper, then that may be the way to go. Some people claim the Yamaha/Klipsch combo is bright, so you may want to audition first to ensure that you like the sound.

John

First off forget the THX requirement,lots of great gear don't have the badge.If it does fine,if it don't fine,it has little to do with quality of sound.What you want is something you think sounds good and they all sound different.

At $500 you get lots of good choices,do not BUY based on recomendations,only be aware they are out there.You should audition every unit you can,at home when possible,then decide.

Check out Nad and outlaw audio. I believe they both are all channels driven. Smoken good for hometheater. You just might score one with 500. If you go used you definitely can get a nice one. You could score a rotel or arcam. I see rotel go for around 500 used all the time, but usually closer to 600. I am more into sound than function. Except the lousy a and b speaker selecter for the deck speakers. It seems like all the good amps leave that out in my price range, but give you some crappy surround sound I'll never use. Give me dolby digital, dts, dolby pro logic, stereo. That is all I need. Better throw in a and b speaker selector. I gotta have the tunes firing up the grill.

If you want to try cheap and excellent, I've been very pleased with my $300 panasonic xr45 for both 2 channel and 5.1. THe xr45 has a digital amplifier that is getting rave reviews by many people, these people are have replacing their seperates for this digital receiver. I am running forte IIs with this receiver and I am thrilled with 2 channel and multichannel performance. A speaker maker named Newform is recommending the panny xr45

at his site. The panny xr45 has been discontinued and the new panasonic xr70($339)should be out now and uses the same digital amps. Good luck.