Bi-amping LaScala's??

Shock-Late

there's another technics SE-A5 power amp in my favourite shop. As i really love the one I already have, i was thinking about buying the second one and then use them both in active biamp mode, with an electronic cross-over at 400hz.

Would it be interesting for the sound, or wouldn't it add anything worthy?

if so, what kind of x-over should i use? there's a pro JBL electronic x-over in the shop...

thanks5.gif

I bi-amped my LaScalas for awhile many moons ago, as I recall I actually got an increase in the already explosive dynamics.

I also experimented with bi-amping using the LaScalas below 400hz and my Maggie MG-IIs above 400hz. That made for one dynamic set of Maggies.

yeah, Maggies need the five times more power than bi-amping gives, but big ole horns? They need quality first-watts. I tired it with my Khorns and the crossover was hard to set, might try it again someday...

If I'm not mistaken, the x-over frequency points on the Klipschorns are individually "tuned" at time of assembly due to minor differences in each hand assembled enclosure (e.g. not "exactly" at 400hz). I would assume this would also apply to the LaScalas as well. This would make it a rather delicate process to set the dividing networks points and slopes. It would probably be best attemped with units that have "dial in" variable points and, even then you would have to have a "tuned ear" for optimal results. It might make more sense if you were substituting an "industrial" woofer for higher output (with less bass extension) OR using let's say a SS amp for the bass "slam" and a tube amp for mid-high "sweetness". Under normal circumstances as the speakers are so highly sensitive in their stock state I don't know how much would actually be gained in a home setting.

Khorn---Active crossovers are fun toys for the DIY horn crowd. And they make experimenting with and integrating drivers and horns from various makers so easy.

But I'm with you, for most turn-key speakers bi-amping is probably not going to gain much and in many cases will be outright detrimental.

I think lots of jaspers just get turned-on by the term bi-amping, sounds so hep and technical. Look at how the term is misused and abused by the "audiophile" crowd. Bi-amping/bi-sexual......wait a minute.

If I'm not mistaken, the x-over frequency points on the Klipschorns are individually "tuned" at time of assembly due to minor differences in each hand assembled enclosure (e.g. not "exactly" at 400hz).

Yes, and as a matter of fact, I happen to sell these tuning kits myself. You have to bang on the caps to find their resonance point. I provide a mic that you hook into your PC with a cool program that tells you when you've hit the mark. Caps not included.

scientific tuning forks

vibrating tuning fork

latQ.gif

contour.gif

Actually, theorically speaking, bi-amplification using two identical power amps for the bass and the mid-high section, having the same input sensitivity, shouldn't be too much of a problem to set up.

What i would expect, but without having experienced it yet, is a gain in micro and macro dynamics, along with a more controlled bass due to the absence of coil between the amp and the woofer.

What is also appealing is, yes, the ability to fine tune the level of the bass horn relative to the mid-high section.

Now, all that is only theory. But I'm tempted to give it a try...1.gif The guy could sell the Technics SE-A5 amp and the JBL active x-over for 600 euros.... quite a lot of money, but...6.gif

"Actually, theorically speaking, bi-amplification using two identical power amps for the bass and the mid-high section, having the same input sensitivity, shouldn't be too much of a problem to set up."

In practice, your low pass amp and your mid/high amp need not be equal wattage, in fact you'd probably do well with, I dunno 100-400 watts for the lows with about 50-100 for the mid-highs. If I were to get an active crossover for such a system, I'd want not only controls for the crossover point and volume for each channel of bi-amp, but a slope control to control the rate of crossover ( ie 6 db/octave- 12 db/octave, etc. Have a BALL!

Interesting topic. Having enough amps in the house I am contemplating getting a Behringer crossover at some point and trying tri-amping my Khorns. The unit in question sells for Eur 160,- (new). I don't know how it compares to JBL crossovers, but the price is tempting.

Wolfram