Minimalist Receiver / Pre-Processor

Hofy

I am searching for a receiver or pre/pro unit that does not have everything including the kitchen sink in it. 1 stereo, and 1 six channel analog input. 1 each coax and optical for digital. Is there a high quality audio/videophile type unit out there?

Thanks

----------------

On 7/4/2004 2:36:17 PM Hofy wrote:

....I see some Klipschhorns in my future.
3.gif

----------------

Let me look in my crystal ball...what's that I see...yes I see some Klipschorns!

Good luck in trying to find a surround receiver without the kitchen sink. I'm looking at the Yamaha bottom of the range model RX440 for upstairs - 65 watts per channel. Probably the most basic receiver on the market - it still has every input I would never need.

----------------

On 6/30/2004 8:01:22 PM Hofy wrote:

I am searching for a receiver or pre/pro unit that does not have everything including the kitchen sink in it. 1 stereo, and 1 six channel analog input. 1 each coax and optical for digital. Is there a high quality audio/videophile type unit out there?

Thanks

----------------

Most really nice units are going to have tons of inputs. Bel Canto's Pre6 is about as close as I can think of to a real audiophile-grade pre without all the mountains of ins - but it is literally an analog pre - no digital inputs.

Yikes $4000 for the Bel Canto! 6.gif That kind of blows the budget.

On the low end of things I have found the Pioneer VSX-C301. Perfect set up on inputs. It however lacks S video, Component video, and good binding posts (just has the cheap spring clips).

The search goes on.

Maybe I'm missing the point completely, but what is your motivation for wanting a small number of in/outs? It seems to me that expandability is a Good Thing, and that having too many places to plug things in is more desirable than having too few. Once you've decided on which in/outs to use and hooked it up, the configuration is basically static. I don't understand how having an extra set of inputs or three is a liability.

I asked her. She replied, what else would you hook up? She will have a DVD player and a Satellite tuner. That's it. Tape deck? No. Turntable? no again. VCR? Nope. Most people have already gotten rid of their turntables and tape decks. More and more people are getting rid of their VCRs also. I can see her point.

I looked at my HT set up. All I have hooked to my Onkyo receiver is my DVD, Satellite, and VCR. I haven't used my VCR in at-least 3 years. I do have a separate set up for 2 channel audio only, but that just a CD player and a Turntable hooked into it.

So now I am really thinking, too. What else would one hook up to their HT? Maybe streaming in .mp3s is about the only thing I can think of. Do manufactures have an inferiority complex? Do they need to put in all the extra jacks to show, "Look how big mine is"? While I continue to search for the receiver she wants, think about it.

----------------

On 7/5/2004 8:23:27 PM Hofy wrote:

So now I am really thinking, too. What else would one hook up to their HT? Maybe streaming in .mp3s is about the only thing I can think of. Do manufactures have an inferiority complex? Do they need to put in all the extra jacks to show, "Look how big mine is"? While I continue to search for the receiver she wants, think about it.

----------------

Lets see, this is what I got on my HT:

Satellite/Hard-drive recorder

DVD

CD

VCR

Playstation 2

I've seen some systems that has the same as I have in addition to:

XBox

Nintendo Game Cube

Audiotron or simliar for streaming MP3's

DVD recorder

In fact, I wish I had at least another digital input so I can also add in an XBox to take advantage of it's digital audio capabilities. All three of my digital inputs are taken up by the Satellite reciever, the DVD, and the Playstation 2. I also like to add in one of those Audiotron units for streaming MP3's. I nearly have all my inputs on my Denon AVR-3802 filled up.

----------------

On 7/5/2004 8:23:27 PM Hofy wrote:

----------------

Yikes I ran out of inputs a while ago!

Here is a list of what is connected to my HT setup:

OTA Digital Audio from my HD Tuner in the TV

MP3 Streamer/Picture Device

SACD/DVD-A Player

1080i Upscaling DVD player

HD Cable/DVR box

XBox

PS2

Gaming/Internet Browsing/HT PC

VCR (mainly for widescreen Star Wars)

Tape Deck (mainly for Grateful Dead bootlegs)

Turntable

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about having un-used inputs. All the higer end pre/pro and AVR's are going to have more inputs not less. The reason is because most people who can afford that will most likely have lots of equipment to hook up. Things like security system monitor, older video disc player, perhaps multiple DVD and CD players for whole house systems, internet radio device, D-theater HD-VCR's, etc...

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 6/30/2004 8:01:22 PM Hofy wrote:

Thanks

----------------

How about this? The ProMedia DD5.1. It seems to be a good unit with out the excess of features and inputs that should work well as a pre/pro in an HT setup. Unfortunatly, it does not seem to have the 6-channel analog input, though.

Hofy, I came across your post tonight. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX50 receiver. It looks exactly like that VSXC301 model you mentioned earlier. I have no clue whether they have the same or different guts though. It looks like VSX-C301 is a Euro model. VSX50 is for North America. I bought it bundled with a Pioneer Elite DV50A universal DVD player. Initially I bought this combo for my secondary setup, but now that I am preparing for a big move I scrapped the plans for building the secondary HT setup. This combo is only one month old. It is inperfect functional and visual condition. I am interested in selling either the combo or the receiver alone:

- Pioneer Elite VSX50 receiver alone - $375

- Pioneer Elite DV50A Universal DVD/SACD/DVD-A player - $150

- both these units together - $475 (combo MSRP $850)

If yo are interested, please let me know and I will provide a more detailed info on the inits, photos etc.

Regards,

TauRus

ahundov@yahoo.com