K-77 la scala tweeter

My old K-77 tweeter in my la scala wont work. I have found the problem and it is the little wire going to the voice coil. I called Klipsch but the guy said that all they had were the new K-77-M drivers. These look different and I dont want mismatched tweeters. What do I do? Order two new K-77-Ms? Get the EV T35As? Or just try to sauder it back myself? Who made the K-77 tweeter. They were made in the early 70s or late 60s I think. This is an emergency!

Chris,

Your tweeter can be repaired. Call Sam Stafford at Techstar in Nashville, Tennessee. The

phone # is 615-242-2925. Their address is/was 750 Cowan St. #9; Nashville, TN 37207.

Most any Pro Audio shop should be able to fix is as well. You need a diapraghm at @ $22.

John

Well, I tried to solder those little wires and was successful. But what I didnt know was that when I took the magnet of the voice coil inset shifted! That middle post that goes inside of the voice coil had come unglued from the magnet and caused me to crush the coil. Im not happy about this. Guess Ill be ordering new ones.

• 6 months later...

I have a K-77-M driver in my Cornwall that emits an "crackle" but only on an internittant basis. I blamed it on my old amp for years, which has analog controls, because that sound coincided with changing the volume and or adjusting the left right balance. I have since had the amp services (cleaned and contacts de-oxidized) but the crackle still remain in one speaker even at fairly low volumes.

I took the back off and removed the driver thinking the diaphram needed replacement. The four screws removed from the driver wothout problem (pretty simple stuff). That's where I was stumped. I expected the tweeter to somply come apart. Uh Uh. I had to apply some force (prying with a screw driver)and the horn part detached from the middle. I was alarmed by a cracking sound as this happened and thought I broke the damn thing. There appeared to be a small amount of what looked like dried glue attaching the "horn part to the rest of the driver which had now let go. So now I have the driver in half and I can't see anything that might need replacement. I removed a paper gasket and followed by a metal screen but still really nothing to speak of that resembled what a diaphram might be. I then pryed the magnet from the middle part of the driver. Again there was a dome shaped "thing" that appeared to be in perfect condition.

I pu th ewhole thing back together, reasembeled the speaker and played a test album. The crackle had completely dissappeared. The next day, however, it was back and seemed worse than ever.

How do I rid this? What is the diaphram. Should I replace te diaphrams in both speakers? If so, how? Or should I consider the more expensive option of replacing the entire driver (or both)?

Any advise please.

I'm pretty sure the middle section IS (includes) the diaphragm. I have a spare. They are the same for T-35s T-35As, Bs and all K-77s. If you have the Alnico T-35/K-77 be really careful taking is apart. If the pole piece in isde the magnet moves you'll have to have it remagnitized, tough to do, nowdays.

John

The K-77 is an Electro-Voice T35A with AlNiCo magnet. The K-77-M is an Electro-Voice T35A with a ceramic magnet. As stated in another thread, it is a bit more efficient on the high end. So, it won't sound quite the same as what you have now.

The brown, plastic fabric looking, dome shaped thing is the diaphragm/voice coil. A wire from either side of it is soldered to the terminals on the horn. If you managed to get to the wire screen, and you did not unsoldered the wires first, you will probably have to replace the diaphragm. If you can solder, this is simple. It pretty much aligns itself. Just be careful to not damage the voice coil. New diaphragms are about $22.00 from speaker repair places or Electro-Voice, a lot more from Klipsch.

You might consider replacing the diaphragms on both your left and right tweeters. They might sound a little different if you do not.

• 2 weeks later...