Klipsch vs Yamaha

D-Rex

If you had the opportunity to purchase a new Yahama SW315 (250 watts, Frequency Response: 20Hz-160Hz)or a used Klipsch KSW-10 (225 watts, Frequency Response 29 - 120) which would you buy if you could get both for about the same price? Or would you get neither and buy something else for less than $250?

I could get the sma;;est reference sub for about $330, would that be a comparable purchase?

Thanks,

D-Rex

Ive had a little experience with the 215(a step below the 315) from yamaha. I took it back because it had really weak bass. Ive never personlly owned yamaha speakers(except that sub for 5 days or so until I returned it), but I don't consider them anything special. I would go with the ksw10 before that 315. Ive listened to the rw 10 and 12 but never the 8. The quality will definately be better but have less output if you go with the rw 8 vs the ksw or 315. Some things that I ve heard about the ksw is that it can sound boomy and has amp fuse problems.

are you willing to spend a little more than 330. like maybe in the $350-400 range?? I just bought a titanic 10 inch mk3 sub kit and it is pretty impressive for a sealed sub(shakes my whole room with movies, sitting 13 ft away I can feel it very well,absolutly no distortion- except a little air noise- im still searching for the leak). ever thing on it is built like a tank and I know it surpasses any componets in those two subs you metioned. the driver in this titanic is around 18-19 lbs alone. that ksw10 and yammie315 don't have any thing like that. my new sub's cab/w just amp in it outweighs the ksw10 and 315. Im not saying that weight is every thing but it is something to look at- it can possibly tell you the quality of componets inside. you should tell us your room size and taste to better help you. is it for HT or music?? both?? is the physical size of the sub box a consideration?

note: don't be dicouraged from a kit of any kind, you can really save money and gain much better performance. some kits(like the one I got) come with precut out holes. all you need is a few basic tools. even the t-nuts were installed and the cab was already texture painted.

sorry i got so long winded

scp53

the 225 W of the KSW10 are dynamic power.

it only have 55W rms.check if the yamaha have 250 dynamic or rms watts.

anyway i have a KSW10 and even with few watts it works very well if your room is not too large.

i have a full synergy system and the ksw10 is perfect with it.

----------------

On 7/5/2004 1:26:12 AM Scp53 wrote:

Ive had a little experience with the 215(a step below the 315) from yamaha. I took it back because it had really weak bass. Ive never personlly owned yamaha speakers(except that sub for 5 days or so until I returned it), but I don't consider them anything special. I would go with the ksw10 before that 315. Ive listened to the rw 10 and 12 but never the 8. The quality will definately be better but have less output if you go with the rw 8 vs the ksw or 315. Some things that I ve heard about the ksw is that it can sound boomy and has amp fuse problems.

are you willing to spend a little more than 330. like maybe in the $350-400 range?? I just bought a titanic 10 inch mk3 sub kit and it is pretty impressive for a sealed sub(shakes my whole room with movies, sitting 13 ft away I can feel it very well,absolutly no distortion- except a little air noise- im still searching for the leak). ever thing on it is built like a tank and I know it surpasses any componets in those two subs you metioned. the driver in this titanic is around 18-19 lbs alone. that ksw10 and yammie315 don't have any thing like that. my new sub's cab/w just amp in it outweighs the ksw10 and 315. Im not saying that weight is every thing but it is something to look at- it can possibly tell you the quality of componets inside. you should tell us your room size and taste to better help you. is it for HT or music?? both?? is the physical size of the sub box a consideration?

note: don't be dicouraged from a kit of any kind, you can really save money and gain much better performance. some kits(like the one I got) come with precut out holes. all you need is a few basic tools. even the t-nuts were installed and the cab was already texture painted.

sorry i got so long winded

scp53

----------------

Where did you get the kit? I wouldn't be opposed to that possibility! Thanks for being so long winded! ;)

D-Rex

Where did you get the kit? I wouldn't be opposed to that possibility! Thanks for being so long winded! ;)

D-Rex

I got the kit from partsexpress.com . just today I rewatched different battle scenes from the lord of the rings- the return of the king. and in my room it has VERY good bass response. and guess what. im not even corner loading it. I set it about 13 ft from me(back of sub is about 2ft from nearest wall) and sit on a resonably padded coach and still felt it very well. and this produces ABSOLUTELY NO distortion-even at extreme levels. except a little air sound from a leak. but maybe it isn't because I had two people today listen to it and they were impressed and said they heard no air leakage,etc. maybe its just me. but when I push on the woofer, there is a slight hiss of air. oh well. a little air noise is ALOT better than port noise/turbulence.

is your room on a cement floor or wood. mines on the first floor so that helps me out. if you have a cement floor Id consider getting the 12 or 15 inch titanics. not that the 10 won't do it. I should try it some time. tomorrow

Im going to watch the matrix- but not in the basment. I tell you how it is after Ive watched it.

I think I stated some where that the bass it tight. I really tested it today on some tight deep bass song. It really kept up- no mudding it up. you could hear and feel the beats seperatly. not like some other subs that sound like one big bass burp.

let me know if you order it. I looked at your room dimensions. this sub should be fine unless you are a bass head. my room is filled with bass sound/thump,etc and its slightly bigger than yours(like 16 by 18-20??).

note: the PE tech support is VERY good. they are NOT some dumby on the phone like some tech support is. if you have questions/concerns there able to help. tech support is from mon-fri 8am-8pm ET and sat 9am-5pm ET. theres also a message board for your questions-http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl

question for doudou: do you like your synergy setup? I have a pair of sb3's and my parents have sb1's-I really like synergy. good quality for the money. beats 99% of stuff out there when it comes to price/performance ratio. how do you like your ksw10?? do you have an amp problem like some people have had??

again Im very sorry Im so loonnngggg wiinnndddd........ 9.gif

scp53

----------------

On 7/6/2004 12:11:18 AM Scp53 wrote:

question for doudou: do you like your synergy setup? I have a pair of sb3's and my parents have sb1's-I really like synergy. good quality for the money. beats 99% of stuff out there when it comes to price/performance ratio. how do you like your ksw10?? do you have an amp problem like some people have had??

----------------

ooohhh yeah!!!

it s a real love story between the sf1 and me:

it began in 1999 when a computer magazin said the promedia v2-400 will be avaible soon in france for a good price.

i waited 2 years before the official retailer in france said the v2-400 will never be avaible.so i bougth 2 pair of promedia 2.1 as soon as they were avaible.but before buying the promedia i went to the only store wich sell klipsch product in my town.i wanted to listen to the klipsch sound because all people who knows this brand told me it was unique.so the firts klipsch i heard was...the brand new sf1, the only klipsch speaker of the store.i said " one day i will have speaker like this".and since 2 month it s done.

nothing compare to the promedia:

very powerfull sound,good bass without a sub,...

in france the klipsch speakers are very expensive, the Reference serie is definitivly too expansive for me.

the synergy speakers have the best ratio for klipsch speakers in france, i think for the price we cannot find anything better in klipsch serie( for the price of course).

the ksw 10 is a very good sub for HT with the SF1:

the sf1 have good bass so i have place the KSW10 at the rear and i use it only for movies.it solve the weak bass of the SS1 at the rears.

no problems with my amp, it s a yamaha RX V 440 RDS.

it s a very good amp for the money it cost, but i d like to upgrade to separate elements.

i tests my SF1 with an home made tube amp of a friend and it sound so good!

so here is my project:i d like to find a pre amp with 5 channel and dolby/DTS/ 192/24 decoders.than i will make 5 identical tube amp like my friend have already made.

what do you think about this?

D-rex don t forget the quality is the most important.

a sub that goes deeper and make louder sound is not always better.

the ksw10 is a good sub but only if you have not a too large room.(55W is not enought if you own a stadium:bigsmile:])

I have extensive experience with the KSW series of subs from Klipsch, and have to agree with most of you on the forum that the KSW10 and 12 are suited for small to medium rooms respectively, while the monster KSW 15 should be pretty ok for a medium - large setup. I had the KSW 15 in a hall of 30 feet length and 15 feet wide, and it still rattled the two small windows.

I also have considerable usage experience of Yamaha subs, and can say that their 315 and 320 models are damn good, producing low bass like nothing I have heard.

I have got one of my friends to run two Yamaha subs in one room, one is the 105 and the other a 320, and your hair will fly off if you put on a deep bass track!

To be very objective, can only recommend that you try out the subs in your

own home, and see/hear what sounds better in your own environment.

Thanks for all of the great input guys! Let me ask another question. If you saw a Velodyne CHT-12 and a JBL Northridge 250 subwoofer for sale, new, for about the same price, which would you choose. What intrigues me is that the Velodyne weights 50% more than the JBL, 60lbs vs. 40lbs.

Thanks alot to the guy saying the Yamaha makes a good sounding sub (sarcasm)... now I will be tossing them back into the mix! 4.gif I really wish I could test all of these in my home but I will have to order these on-line so I won't have that luxury. Which of all of these would have the higher resale value, I want to look closer into the DIY route but I want something to tide me over in the mean-while.

D-Rex,

for DIY, there are plenty or sites out there for this. just go to the message board at partsexpress.com and you can see some pretty cool things that NO other manufacturer have or can make for the PRICE. but then again the biggest problem with DIY is you can't hear it before you build it(usually you can't, unless a friend has built what you want to build). the safe thing to do is buy a prebuilt klipsch/yamaha/JBL sub and then you know what your buying because you've heard it at a store and/or at home. however the price/performance ratio is poor of those yamaha/klipsch/JBL,etc subs when you compare to a well designed DIY sub. I guess you'll have to balance what you want: "much more value" vs "you hear what your buying".

good luck 1.gif

scp53

I found the leak of my sub- it was right under the seal. I ll quickly explain for those that want to know more specifics. the rubber seal covers both sides of the woofer rim- but the top part really doesn't serve a purpose except to hide the frame rim. so you'd think it seal well- wrong. there is a slight gap between the top rubber seal and the top side of the woofer frame. the air would leak from a few screw holes and exit and enter through this gap. any way... I m VERY HAPPY to have it solved. wow, holy sh@t, this thing has huge bass with NOT ONE bit of distortion. it really is unbelivable. oh yea, and today I watched the matrix- it was quite impressive. usually I keep the volume down(on the sub, not the mains and surr speakers) because of the air problem,

but know I can turn it up more 9.gif9.gif.

just thought I d share my great success story2.gif1.gif

ps: don't let my few problems/headaches make this not a consideration. I think it was just my bad luck. once its set up correctly the sound is COMPLETLY DISTORTION free- no cone sound or any other distortion- only distortion is the pictures that fall off the wall during a movie6.gif9.gif

just kidding. I havent had it cranked yet but I don't think its that powerful. only something like an SVS can do that. mine only vibrates/resonates things.

scp53

D-Rex, I would also go for the Velodyne..yes, because of the weight!! It's kind of strange, but I have always found higher weghing subs catching my attention the fastest, and they prove great in sound too!

But like I said earlier, you need to test them out..if you are doing your buying online, go with the 'weighty' option, and keep them fingers crossed!

$250 for the Velodyne here (including shipping):

http://www.electronics-expo.com/product.jsp?x=CHT12

I went to Best Buy and heard the JBL (which I liked for the price of $285 I found online but not for the $500 that they were wanting!) I went to Circuit City and heard the Velodyne 12". It sounded equally as good but, once again it is much cheaper online than it was at Circuit City!

Of course, both of these were ruined by me stopping by Ultimate Electronics and hearing the RSW-15! Quite literally will blow you away with a pair of RF-7s on it's flanks! They had a list of movies to play and I immeditely go to one of my favorites, Minority Report, awesome movie that sounded amazing with that system!

But, back to reality, I am still up in the air between the JBL and Velodyne. Since I don't plan on ordering anything until this weekend I may try and pay them both another visit on Thursday or Friday.

Thanks alot guys, you have all been real helpful!

D-Rex