Rectalinear IIIB Speakers ??

edster00

I was wondering if anyone has heard of these speakers or knows much about them?

I have been offered a trade...a pair of Rectalinear IIIBs for 2 pair of Quintetscwm19.gif!

What do y'all think...should I go for it??

I would end up selling the Rectalinear's as they aren't Klipschcwm20.gif

TIA

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 07-18-2001 at 10:32 AM

In about 1966 or so I had a pair of Rectilinear Mini III's. They were a small version of the R-III. Can't really tell you much as they were an upgrade from a pair of 5 X 7 Co-ax in home made walnut cabinets.

I believe the III's were of similar vintage. Do they have double (sandwich) wall construction with sand in between the layers?

All I can tell you at this point is:

"They stand about 3ft. high and 15 inches wide and a foot deep, weigh about 50 lbs. fine solid wood construction. They look like fine furniture and sound fantastic".

I had already told the owner that I wasn't interested in them, but then I got to thinkin'...I am trying to raise some cash for a pair of Kornerhorns Smile.gif!!

------------------

Ed W

As a kid back in the '70's I remember a local audio store ( Schaak electronics ) selling them. Boy I loved those speakers! I think they had the 3's and also something called the "3 Lowboy". The later was shorter but with the same drive components and cabinet volume. I personally whould like them if for no other reason than to compare them with my memory of them. As with some other vintage gear though, you normally wish that stuff sounded as good as you remembered!

quote:

Originally posted by decibel man:

After further thought, I think it is important that I clarify my earlier post.

Doug, I am not calling you a "Big Titilating Woman."

This is just to avoid any confusion and three letter acronyms for a group of four letter words.

JT <- initials, not an acronym!

ROTFLMAO cwm2.gif

I bet they don't have this much fun on the Bose bulletin board. Whoops, I guess that's 'cause they don't have one!

DD2 (also not an acronym).

Laughter, lots of laughter! I wish Bose had a BB (not a Bigger Box either), it would be funny to see what kind of tweaks and such they would come up with.

Finishes:

"I wanted a new finish for my surround system so I found a nice bottle of black nail polish. I painted all five speakers and still have some left for future touch ups if needed."

Speaker placement:

"So I have been playing around with my speaker placement to see how it would look. The problem is I forgot where I placed the surrounds and I don't have them wired yet. I usually follow the string like wire to the cubes, but I disconnected the speaker wire for ease of moving."

Just imagine the entertainment value!

Happy listening and enjoy!

JT

edster,

I had Rectalinear (??? thought it was Rectilinear) III "Lowboys" back in 1974.

The Rectalinear III were designed by John Dalquist before he started the speaker company of the same name. Prior to the DQ-10 they were his ultimate "statement" speaker. They were excellent for their time, but keep in mind they were "traditional" direct radiating speakers built about 20 / 25 years ago, and the industry has advanced significantly. They need quite a bit of power...

I'd do it. You should be able to EBay'em off without any trouble, and you might enjoy having them around for a while.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray,

Thanks for your insite. Your spelling is probably correct, I used what the guy sent me in his email. I talked him out of the Quintets because I didn't think they would fit his needs.

I could probably buy the speakers from him for <$100 though...still a good deal I presume.

I would certainly sell them, the only high powered amp I have anymore is an 85wpc vintage Sansui (if you can call 85wpc high powered Smile.gif).

------------------

Ed W

the Rectilinear III is a six speaker system, 12" woofer, 6" cone "whizzer" mid, a pr. of 4" tweeters and pr. of 3" super tweeters. They were not cheap speakers, cost $600 back in '74 (pr. a pr. of Cornwalls

went for around $750 that year).

As Ray points out, the sensitivity is low.

The IIIB has a slightly different network.

Rectilinear Research Corp was located on Bruckner Blvd in the Bronx (South Bronx!!!). One very, very, very tough neighborhood.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 07-21-2001 at 05:25 PM

The Rectilinear III used the Philips AD5061M8 full range driver as the midrange.This 5 1/4" cloth edged, paper coned driver had not only a whizzer but a copper cap on the magnet to improve the high frequency response.It was also used by Infinity,Genesis, and Dahlquist(among others).The size of the box(Highboy version), bass response, and efficency were comparable to a Forte.They were 3dB less sensitive because they had an 8 ohm woofer as opposed to the 4 ohm woofer used in the Forte.They were very natural sounding in the midrange.The only speaker near their price range that sounded better on acoustic guitar was the original Quad electrostat(in the early 70's).I wish I could find a case of these midrange drivers somewhere.