Which mains match well with the Academy Center?

Pistol Pete

I picked up and Academy center for a good price and was just going to use it for a short while while I am between speakers then resell it but I may consider keeping it if I can find some mains to go with it.

Reading up on it at Klipsch.com I see it matches with the Chorus II, Cornwall II , Forte II and Quartet.

Does it match well with any others such as Heresys or?

I just sold my RF-3IIs and RC-3II mains and center, I switched out every component on my rack trying to get the RF-3IIs to work out for 2 channel music and it just did not pan out.

I was not planning on going with Klipsch speakers but if I can get a nice combination going with the Academy then maybe I will try Klipsch one more time.

Academy sounds really good with Chorus II and Forte II. It has the exponential horn, but I can't tell much of a difference between it and the Tractrix on the Chorus II/Forte II. That said, I'm sure it would sound very good with Chorus and Forte. I have not heard Academy with Quartet, but I would expect similar results to the Chorus II and Forte II, since the Quartet also has the Tractrix midrange.

I've heard folks run an Academy with Heresys, and they like it, so I'd say you would be safe there. I wouldn't think it would match very well with K-horn/Belle/LaScala, but who knows.

The Academy used the K-76-KV tweeter

The Heresy II and Quartet used the K-76-K which is the non shielded version.

I used the Academy with a pair of Chorus I's in the past and felt it was an excellent match.

Should be fine with Forte I and II, Chorus I and II, Heresy II and Quartet.

I used an academy with Forte 1 mains; that combo provided an excellent soundstage for home theater. Since I am not one to leave well enough alone, I have since upgraded my mains to Khorns and the academy can't keep up. Looks like I am in the market for a new center......

----------------

On 7/9/2004 10:05:17 AM Pistol Pete wrote:

Heck i'd be happy with 5 Academy's , this is a nice sounding speaker! Unfortunately I just dont have the room for the speakers it matches with except the Heresy II so I am probably going to sell it after all.

----------------

How much did you ask and get for your RF3II's? I am wanting to pick up a similar set if the price is right (really looking for some RF-5's) but if you gave me a ball park on yours at least I would have a "reference" point.

Thanks,

D