Amp Questions

JohnA

Since we are discussing Kit Amps, I'd like to ask another question, eventually related.

If I have a power amp (or pre-amp, too, I guess) and I replace the power supply caps with larger ones, say 2X the capacitance and change nothing else, what happens? How would it affect the AC ripple from the rectifier?

Has any one designed an L-C power supply filter to cut ripple and reduce the effect of AC line noise on the amp?

John,

What do you mean by heplave? Do you mean replace?

Most of the Dynaco ST 70 cap upgrades do in fact up the capacitance. I believe that part of it has to do with the current supplied during transients in the music. On the Dynaco, most claim a bit tighter bass.

Sheesh -- you type like me!

Marvel

I can't answer your question, but I can give you my experiences regarding a EL-84 single ended tube amp's PS.

It's a old 40 year old console amp with no choke(L) in the PS, just more or less 80 uf of capacitor for the B+, with another section for the screens.

A "C" or "CRC"?

On Klipsch speakers(Cornwalls), there was a lot of line noise.

I finally stuck a low value henrie choke in the PS, and configured the lower section of the multicapacitor first, then the choke, the the 80 uf section, CLC.

That really helped.

I still have some noise issues with the amp, but they are not power supply related.

You want a Power supply with a fast rise time, no overshoot and keep a steady load line.

A smaller value input capacitor in the supply, with a higher value output cap seems to be general approach.

You can add too much capacitance and get a dark sluggish, slower sound I suppose. I can't confirm that.

A guy needs a critically damped power supply for the load it's connected to, I guess....

Duncan Amplifiers website has a freebie download for a PS program. Try it, it's fun to noodle with.