What was your first vinyl record??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/14/2004 8:53:21 PM sdfan wrote:

45-Kiss,I was made for lovin you. First lp, Van Halen I. Luckily, my parents had a pretty decent stereo from what I remember. Gerrard turntable, Criterion speakers, and a Sansui receiver.
----------------

To hijack the thread a bit - The kids introduced recorded music in my house. The best we got before was the TV (One channel only - middle of nowhere in very southeastern Arkansas) and my dad's old Motorola (sitting the cabinet behind me here in my homeoffice). We used to listen to Cardinal baseball games laying on the bed (this old radio was AM only and sat on the headboard - it is about the size of three 200 watt digital amps) - KMOX reached all over the midwest after sundown. Dad taught me Gin Rummy, Bridge, 50 ways to play Solitaire and poker - all the while we had Harry Carey in the background.

Darn good thread that can bring up these kind of memories

My first 45 was "Funkytown" by Lipps Inc. I think. Still secretly like the song. :)

First LP was the Chic alblum with "Freak Out" etc. Great rolling skating songs all! I was probably 10 at the time.

Luckily my parents listened to great, and pretty diverse music from Hendrix and Zeppelin, to Rufus and Ike and Tina Turner. My dad used to play trumpet so he had a lot of Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears and Average White Band. I still have most of my parents old LPs since they both gave up turntables about 25 years ago.\

I've actually started rediscovering funk music out our university library. I'll get a CD a have flashback to when I was 8 "I remember this song!". Can anyone reccomend any current funk bands?

Dad had a decent Realistic stereo. Integrated amp, maybe 25w, pretty light, 8-track, turntable.

Sheesh - this is a toughie - and potentially embarassing, but if I recall correctly:

First 45 (that I remember as being something I wanted) - "Temptation Eyes"

First LP - (geez, my mom actually bought it for me for Christmas) - a compilation of rock stuff including a Vanilla Fudge cover of the Beatles "Eleanor Rigby". I also had the Doors "Hard Rock Cafe". Eclectic for a kid, for sure!

Wow...there was some weird stuff along the way - I remember having a Partridge Family album (ouch), and I collected nearly everything by Seals and Crofts (did a LOT of headphone listening there), and still have those. As a matter of fact, still have MOST of my albums (hey, even Johnathan Livingston Seagull - oh my). Abba, anyone?

Strangest albums? George Carlin, Bill Cosby.

Popbumper6.gif

I bought my first LP's and 45's just a couple weeks ago... maybe it was only one week... guess it was.

I got 4 LP's in one day... bought them as a group, so I'll count them all: Van Halen- OU812, Van Halen- Balance, Van Halen- 5150, Van Halen- 1984.

The 45's I haven't listened to... they were all Van Halen too, and had Pretty Woman and some other songs on them... I don't have a 45 adapter, and my TT is giving me fits anyway, so I haven't heard them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I bought a couple 45s the same day. It was many many moons ago but one was Ricky Nelson's - "My Bucket's Got A Hole In It" and the other was "Wake Up Little Susie" by the Everly Brothers. I think my dad had a 58 Chevy at the time.

My first LP was Brubeck's "Time Out".

It was about 1958 and I got a new Silvertone 'stereo' "portable" record player for my birthday, probably because my dad wanted more than I did. This is apparent when looking back at the first two LP recordings that he bought with it, Mitch Miller and the Gang, and Frank Sinatra's "Nice & Easy", now a classic. And as difficult as it is to believe, yes, I still have them both, and they are in reasonably decent shape. 16.gif

As far as 45's go, I recall playing John Phillip Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever, over and over & over, pretending I was conducting the orchestra, and also playing "Pony Boy" while riding my hobby horse, bottoming it out, hitting the floor to the beat of the music. My poor mother. Other than being an usually quiet kid, this must have drove her nuts! No wonder she didn't want me to be a musician! LOL