KIMBER Silver Streak new today

radiob

I was falling asleep on the sofa listening to my Ella Fitzgerald disc, when UPS shows up with my new Kimber Silver Streaks, 2 pair, for cd player and amp. I have been using monster cable m1000 that I have had for 10 years. I went to the door, opend the boxes, and installed them, went back and laid down to finish my doze off. I was very suprised at the sound difference the kimber made. A couple of things I have noticed right away. One, the cymbles appear to slide up and down on there stands, you can hear a tiny squeak in the base pedal, her voice sounded a little more wet in the lips, and you could here what I think was the valves clapping in the brass section. The down side to the Kimber, compared to the m1000 is I can hear more noise when the volume is all the way down on the blueberry. All in all the Kimber Silver Streak does make a considerable difference in my system mostly for the better, however I am not sure it was a 400$ difference though.Ill keep you posted on the new tubes which I have commin for the blueberry, at 320$ It will be a compareable cost to the Kimber. By the way I took you advise 3-d, and orderd a set of a-frames, also a set of E188CC made by Philips, had to buy a pair of these, so I have one if anyone wants to try, let me know. Rob 10.gif

Radio,

The amount of change is never really worth the exorbitant price, but the question you gotta ask yourself (ala Clint Eastwood) is now that you have heard them, could you live with anything less - that is, go back to your "old" ones? Speaking for myself, I couldn't.

I think that you will find that they tend to get smoother with time. That is, in the words of the Wizard of Oz, "technically unexplainable", but I have found that to be true with my Kimbers. I thought that the silvers sounded pretty darn good right off the bat, but they do smooth out a bit.

At a certain level of system performance, changes become incremenally smaller; the law of diminishing returns applies. It's a sorry thing that it costs more per increment as one goes along...

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/16/2004 10:51:58 PM ygmn wrote:

Can someone explain the science and physics and engineering behind expensive cables?

----------------

No, but I can tell you that the siltechs I'm using from the Blueberry to my TT added significant clarity compared to the monster stuff I had before. I'm a banker, not an engineer.2.gif