REL Subwoofers

MacKlipsch

There are several of us on the board who use REL subs of various types, so hopefully you'll get additional responses.

I have La Scalas and use Storm, which I guess is sort of like a 3/4 scale model of your proposed KHorn / Studio setup. I am very, Very, VERY happy with REL.

Prior to Storm I had tied various other subs. I had the VMPS Larger subwoofer (had to let it go when I moved, way to big to fit new room), a Velodyne ULD15, an M&K THX certified model, don't remember model number, a Velodyne F1500, and finally Storm.

The REL controls (course and fine tuning of level and rolloff frequency) combined with their preferred parallel drive setup (La Scalas driven full range, speaker level inputs to REL also full range, REL fills in low bass under La Scala but doesn't change sound of La Scalas) gave me a better blend than any other subs I tried. The VMPS Larger might be a better match for KHorns, with more ultimate output capability and deeper bass extension, but as you're talking about a Studio ( biggrin.gif ) and I only have a Storm I can't really speak from experience. Plus, with the VMPS, you're looking at a separate amp and crossover, and the damn thing is HUGE.

Do check out the new Klipsch line - they've just announced a real brute of a sub designed to suplement the Heritage line. See the post about the new Klipsch products announced at CES on this board. Don't know that ANYTHING could keep up with a Studio III, though...

I've never had a powered subwoofer I like as much as my REL Storm.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray....Thanks for responding...I too thought the parallel drive configuration they use is sweet. I don't think any others use the speaker outs for connecting to the subs. The dealer thought I would need the additional power (300w) of the studio 2 to "keep up with my K-horns and Belle center. What do you think?....By the way, I've been out of the audiophile loop for years...whats the Klipschorn Jubilee going to be? (except expensive)

I'm using a REL STORM III that I like so much I'm considering buying another one. I use it primarily with the reference series in a home theater setup. It ocassionally gets to sit-in with a pair of 73' Khorns, thats why I'm considering another one. With the theater I also use a KSW10 to help support the surrounds. It works great in theater because it can get rumbly when it needs to, and also is a very musical sub, so it works well with the movies musical tracks. Its good with the Khorns until I turn it up to the "you can only listen for 1 minute" levels, then it gets lost. So, I guess I wouldn't consider that a liability for this sub......I think they make great subs...do check one out! smile.gif