Women and audio ...

I have never read it, but I was interested in getting a couple of issues to see what it was all about. I like their philosophy of: no price is too small. The only think I don't like is that it is only 6 issues a year.

I am just so sick of Stereophile. I got the latest issue this week and the feature is the new Krell loud speakers. There are 10 dealers for these speakers and they cost $37,000 a pair. I get the idea of wanting to read about them as a dream pair for the normal audio enthusiast, but to have them as your feature review is crazy. I think the cheapest speaker they reviewed this month was $10,000 a pair. I also have S&V, but that can be a bit too mainstream sometimes. Let us know how you like Listener.

I've subscribed to Listener for some time now. I really enjoy the magazine. Of all the magazines that lean toward the audiophile mindset, it is probably the most down to earth publication around. For example, when they reviewed headphones a while back, a couple of guys spent a long time listening lots of different phones, and wound up preferring one of the less expensive AKG models overall.

*** HOWEVER *** you have to be prepared for some weirdness and a somewhat twisted sense of humor, particularly on the part of the GIC (guy in charge - Art). You might find an entire issue in which not one single piece of audio equipment receives a formal review, but they cover 87 different ways to clean your LPs, and review 8 different brands of headache medicine and its effectiveness at consumer electronic shows. Which was, actually, pretty damn funny...

Ray

Oh, I also subscribe to Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, Sound and Vision (they took over the balance of my Audio subscription, sniff sniff), HiFi News (British), the Inner Ear Report (Canadian), Ultimate HiFi (you think Stereophile reviews too much expensive stuff!!!), Positive Feedback, and then a whole pile of non-audio related stuff. Listener is one of my favorites!

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Commenting on the article. That guy never met my wife! She owns more CDs than I do! She listens to the Music more than I. She doesn't know much about electronics but, DON'T TRY TO TAKE THE LASACLAS AWAY FROM HER! You will probably lose at least an arm!

Ed

i occasionaly read Ultra High Fidelity.

don't let the title fool you, they review pretty down-to-earth stuff. and they have good humour too.

Guess what? The mag is published right next to my town, maybe 15 minutes away actually.

it seems like listener is a Canadian mag too, from their recent coverage of the Montreal show...

Ed, where do i get one of those?

I always get: "do you have to have the stereo on to watch a movie?" I will sometimes fall a sleep while listening to music, and she asks, "how can you sleep with that stereo on?" I wish it relaxed her as much as it does me. At least she doesn't listen to Billy Ray Cirus (sp?) anymore. She also thought Garth Brooks did a great job writing "Shameless", oh the agony!

Hats off to ED!!

I got my wife a pair of KG4 when we got serious, before we were married. She still loves them. She got me a pair of CF4 for Christmas of our first year. We now have a pair of vintage 1974 La Scalas. She likes the La Scalas the best, but won't part with the KG4 (still likes 'em too much to let go, though we've nowhere to set them up right now.) She has definate preferences in amplification, sometimes agreeing with me, sometimes having a differing opinion. So far, I've found that over time, her opinions on which amp sounds best with which speakers are more accurate than mine. That is, after awhile, I find myself substituting the one SHE preferred back into the system, not because she's asking me to (she doesn't), but rather because I decided that I DO like it better. Currently, we're using an old Rotel RA850BX2 integrated amp, which sounds BETTER with the La Scalas than (uh, sorry to be repeditive for those of you that have seen me post this list before...)

NAD pre / B&K ST140 pairing

Adcom GFP555 /GFA555 pairing

Acurus DIA100 mkII

Jolida 502 (with Svetlana 6550C tubes)

Krell KAV300i (!!!)

TEAC AS100 (old integrated, my most recent mistake, thought it sounded better but it actually put a kind of "Technicolor" glint on everything, took me awhile to figure that out...)

and various others...

Also, her music tastes and mine overlap a lot, but she was into a lot of music I'd never listened to before (Judy Garland, Roy Orbison, Jackson Brown, Livingston Taylor, others) that, once I heard them, I really, really like. Likewise, she's become quite the Pink Floyd fan (LOVES Wish You Were Here), though I haven't convinced her that Emerson, Lake and Palmer is music, yet...

Also should note that my 16 year old daughter turned my wife and I on to *NSYNC, and (please don't laugh) I REALLY REALLY LIKE some of their stuff. Bye Bye Bye played over the La Scalas at Madison Square Garden levels is, uh, cool...

Pink, however, is another story...

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Originally posted by Ray Garrison:

though I haven't convinced her that Emerson, Lake and Palmer is music, yet...

Aawww!! If she doesn't get turned on by "Cest la Vie'"(sp?) sung by Keith Emerson I would be at a loss.

Pink, however, is another story...

Meddle has GOT to be my favorite from them. Dark Side-I think got a little over played on the radio.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

Hummm, I seem to have been accidentally vague here...

When I said "Pink, however, is another story..." I wasn't referring back to Pink Floyd, I meant that the daughter hasn't convinced the wife and me that Pink, the FEMALE PERFORMER, the one in the Lady Marmalade video along with Christina Aguilera, Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliot and Li'l Kim, THIS one:

http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/trl/photobooth/images/photo_pink.jpg

is actually making music.

By the way, it was Greg Lake, not Keith, who did the vocal on C'est La Vie ("...Like a song, out of tune and out of time, all I needed was a ryhme for you, C'est la vie ...")

Interesting note... If you want to see how good the resolving power of your system is, play this cut and try to figure out just what the Hell kind of instrument it is that Keith IS playing on the bridge between verses. Hint - it's a keyboard, but no, it is NOT some misprogrammed out of tune synthesiser.

Have fun...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Damn, that didn't take long.

Wazzat a guess, or did you listen to it and figure it out? I guess I'm just not familiar with the warm, soothing tones of the acoustic accordion, but I listened to this song a LOT before I figured out what it was.

Still think it sounds weird. And my mom PLAYS the accordion.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering