heresy's down a few db in the upper woofer range?

jfmacken

Anybody here know about this? For some reason, eq-ing my speakers up about 4 db centered at the 500hz region seems to make the sound much fuller. Guitars, bass, and voice sound much 'fuller'. Maybe this is just personal preference. I have no way of testing since I do not own a spl meter, tsk tsk. Would setting the midrange and tweeter 1 notch down on the transformer cause any serious problems? I think I'm gonna see how that sounds, just for kicks.

I think that it depends on the listening environment and how it effects the sound, along with personal taste.

The same speaker in a different environment may sound completely different...so you may be adjusting the speaker for the room AND your ear.

DM2.gif

jf--I doubt it, though I may be wrong, having never measured a Heresey. But generally cone woofers, especially high efficiency ones, exhibit a rising response to top-end rolloff on axis. And I doubt that woof is rolling off as low as 700hz.

Just thinking out loud ya understand.

Strange. I picked up a spl meter and did some graphs. Oddly enough, my woofer is down about 6 db in the 400-700 hz range, when playing at 100db (at 1k). Simply using an eq seems to really help things out though. If I were to attenuate both the mid and tweeter (to hear the woofer more), I would probably end up with an excess of db in the sub-300hz region. I have no idea how the room acoustics factor in this particular area, but the eq seems to be doing the job!

Are you saying that you are playing a 1khz tone at 100db? And that between 400-700Hz it is down 6db?

400Hz is more than an octave lower than the 1Khz tone. It better be down some. You need to test a range through the freq. you are talking about so you can compare. Without changing the level, how loud is a 600Hz tone. Is is 6db lower that the 1Khz?

Marvel

Thats exactly what I was referring to. The control frequency of 1khz was set to 100 db. The range of 400-700 hz seems to all be down at an average of 6 db (94 db), and goes back up closer to 100db underneath that freq. range. (ex. there is a dip in that specific range, compared to the whole audio spectrum). Just because a frequency is 'an octave lower than 1khz', it does not mean that is should measure any quieter in spl. Our ears are just less sensitive to those frequencies. At least, that is what my logic is telling me. Afterall, if lower frequencies were to produce lower spl than higher frequencies, the term 'flat frequency response' wouldn't make any sense. It would be a y=x slope:) Correct me if I am wrong, anyone.

jfmacken,

Love your avatar!1.gif It may be your room. I don't find that roll-off in my set of Heresys in my room. Try taking your readings at several locations in your room to see if there are standing waves. What are the deminsions of your listening area?

Rick

----------------

On 7/31/2004 4:10:50 PM jfmacken wrote:

Strange. I picked up a spl meter and did some graphs. Oddly enough, my woofer is down about 6 db in the 400-700 hz range, when playing at 100db (at 1k). Simply using an eq seems to really help things out though. If I were to attenuate both the mid and tweeter (to hear the woofer more), I would probably end up with an excess of db in the sub-300hz region. I have no idea how the room acoustics factor in this particular area, but the eq seems to be doing the job!

----------------

jfmacken

Just an idea but are your speakers located on stands or the floor? How far from the center of the woofer to the floor/sidewall/frontwall are they?

Wavelengths for the 400-700hz are between 2.825'to 1.614' so its possible that you could be getting boundry cancellation effects from the floor/sidewalls/frontwall if your located close to any of them.If you haven't you can try moving the heresy slightly in relation to these boundrys and see how this affects the measurements/sound your getting.

Where is the meter located when your measuring this also? Any reflections close to the meter or your listening postion could cause these readings also.

mike

jf,

Hope I'm not impolite, but I think there is some confusion.

Can you play back some broad spectrum audio such as pink noise? You need to be playing audio that actually covers the full freq. range.

Look at it this way. A low E on an electric bass has very little freq. content a half octave up, and even less a full octave higher than the fundamental. How could you expect the speaker to have equal volume at all frequencies when only playing a 1Khz tone?

I could post a graph or something to help illustrate this if you would like.

Mike's idea of some freq. cancellation is also a plausible explanation, but only if playing back the full range of frequencies.

Marvel

I do have the speakers placed on the floor, and do not have risers for them. Could this be the problem here? The eq seems to be doing a fine job anyways, though. My way of calibration: I played a 1k tone and changed my receiver's volume until I achieved a 100spl reading. Then, without touching the volume on my receiver, I tested out specific tones (400hz, 450 hz, 500 hz, ex.) and compared them with the spl at the 1khz tone. I only seem to have a dip in that specific range, where there is fluctuation elsewhere in the whole spectrum, it is not as severe. And no, I have not done tests while playing 'all frequencies', just singular frequency tests. Maybe I should just get my hands on a pair of risers:)

Hi jfmacken:

I don't think risers will change what your describing but I do like heresys on the angle risers pointed toward me.Do try moving them in relation to the side and front walls. It's free and might achieve what you want.

First if you like the sound with the eq your using thats what matters. I personally if possible would rather work with speaker/listener placement than use an eq but sometimes we do what we have to.

If you want to try something; play your 1khz tone (and some of the lower freq. while walking around) and then while listening move your head about 1 foot in any direction. in alot of rooms you will hear the sound level rise and fall and the same thing will happen with meter readings.Your hearing/measuring the modal responce of your room. Actually I believe warbletone type test(avaible on some test CDs like sterophile) would be a better way for you to test/listen than single test tones like this.

mike1.gif

jf,

Thanks for the clarification on using the different frequencies when doing your tests. It isn't what you seemed to infer in the earlier posts.

I do agree with the above, in that it could be the room/placement. But the end result should be that you adjust them to sound the way you think is best.

I haven't actually checked the repsonse on my HIIs, and probably should, but I love them the way they are. I would hate to find they had some funny response. 15.gif

Let us know what you discover through various testing and changes to your room.

Marvel