Speaker Hum After Power Outage

krava81

Alright, straight off, my knowledge of audio systems is very slim, but heres what happened. Due to a rather nasty accident just down the street from me, we lost power rather suddenly, computer and the speaker system were both on when this happened. Nothing unusual happened, I just turned off my computer and the system (i have a backup powersupply) and read a book while things were down. However, when power did return, when I turn on the speaker system, I have a constant, low level hum. Music/game sounds still play, but the hum is there constantly, any ideas on how to fix this or anything? Thanks in advance.

As SCP53 indicated firt try other outlets and reverese the amplifier/receiver plug if it's an old two prong power cord. Make sure your power cord is not laying right next to or on top of your spekaer and /or rca cables. Then try switching the rca plugs from the receiver to the cd player to another input on the back of your receiver/ampifier. Don't try to run the cd player off the phono input, because it's different, but tape, aux etc. will do. Also if the reciever has a fuse check that. Then if the receiver has a and b or main and secondary inputs for the speakers try switching the speaker wires to the secondary system. If the hum still persists then the problem could be in the receiver, or it could simply be that the power company did a bad repair and and the hums comingfromoutside the house.

Also give us some specific info on the particulars of your system. There's far more knowledgable folks here than me that can give you assitance if you give them info on your system.

If this is your computer speaker system and you have cable modem....

I would suggest disconnecting the cable feed to the modem, see if this resolves the hum. If it does, it may be an issue that may have been caused when they reconnected service.

Again, if this is your PC speaker system, give the Promedia tech a call at 888-554-5665, should be able to suggest a few things.

Hard to say.

Certainly the theory is that something changed with the accident. I'll guess at.

1) Some surge caused damage to the amp, perhaps the power supply section.

2) Something in the power feed to house changed and now the neutral is not so good.

3) Close to 2) the cable system ground was messed up. I don't quite see how but this is what our moderator is talking about.

To test 1) try disconnecting all inputs to the amp (CD, cable box, DVD). And see if the hum is still there with just the speakers connected to the amp. If this is so, particularly with the volume turned down, then I think you have an amp problem caused by the sudden outage.

This should eliminate ground and neutral issues. However, you can move the unit to a friend's house and listen, perhaps with just headphones for convenience. Or try feeding through the UPS.

If things are okay (if the unit is a receiver, maybe the radio works okay). Then you'll have to start connecting things to see what connection causes the problem.

It is a start.

Gil

More than likely Gil is correct with his first possibility.

When the power comes back on, there are numerous big surges that come through the power line from inductive loads around the house including your neighbor's freezer and AC's likely to damage your amp's power supply. If your power supply has blown rectifier(s), it would cerntainly hum.

It would behoove you to go to a Radio Shack or Home Depot for an AC line checker that looks for proper ground and nuetral before damaging other electronic gear.

As Gil had suggested, if you take the amp to your friend's house and the problem still exist, I would contact your homeowner's insurance for repair.

Ki

• 16 years later...

Hi, I have a Technical Pro HB2502U. There was a lighting storm. A huge Crackle, a large flash of light, then the lights went out for a moment. When I turned the unit back on, I get a Buzz...ONLY...in the speaker outputs. The functions work, but no Audio output.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Robert Shaw said:

Hi, I have a Technical Pro HB2502U. There was a lighting storm. A huge Crackle, a large flash of light, then the lights went out for a moment. When I turned the unit back on, I get a Buzz...ONLY...in the speaker outputs. The functions work, but no Audio output.

Welcome to the Forum. 

2 hours ago, Robert Shaw said:

The company I was a rep for 10 years ago distributed this line out of the DFW and Houston warehouse.  These are cheaply made at best and are basically a throw away.  A tech would probably charge you more to put it on the bench than what it's worth.

Might try using a surge protector if you didn't have one attached.