Audio Rack

T2K

Sound Advice has a really beautiful one--steel frame with suppended glass shelves. Their floor model has the 90 lb Krell amp on one shelf! Talk about well built, can't remember the price--I thinking $400-600, pricey, but a definite fasion statement!

Thanks for the replies guys.I'm trying to replace a rack that I've had for years and can't seem to find anything better.Or bigger.The reviews on audio review are completely foreign as to the service I've gotten out of mine.Its solid as a rock.And inexpensive.I bought from a local dealer,though.

www.plateaucorp.com

Keith

keith, i got the vantage point alaw-409 for $129 but can't remember which site. believe it was in nv.

this one has it though for $150 some: http://www.audio-direct.com/cgi-bin/pgen_asp/catdisp.asp?manu_name=VANTAGE%20POINT

i really like mine (they also have a 5-shelfer). assembly real easy & it's strong & rock solid. can hold a big tv on the top shelf.

or maybe something else from vantage point.

Not really being sure what your budget for one but I'm pretty sold (litterally) on one I bought from Studio Tech's Ultra Furniture line ( http://www.studiotech.com ). It's a U-48 in Rosewood for about $800. They also make a U-60 for about $1G. They're heavy alright, the U-48 weighs in at 160 lbs. and as the model number implies it has an interior height of 48". Each shelf with the "Smart Spikes" (vibration isolators) can hold up to 100 lbs. This thing is also very heat friendly. The front door and sides have metal mesh to for cooling. It also comes with standard plastic gliding feet as well as carpet spikes. I opted for the casters for $46 a set. The wood/metal sides and rear are NOT weight bearing!! That is handled by a steel black powdercoat interior frame (looks like hollow metal 2X4's). The mesh front can still allow remote control transmissions to reach the units, but you have to be in a straight line in front of it.

Good luck!

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD (but seeking a McIntosh MVP831!)

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

Hey,really appreciate the help.Gotta do some surfin' now!

I bought a rack similiar to the Plateau DS series years

ago and it is welded and really solid.Been really happy with it,considering the price.Just didn't figure on having multiple amps down the road and this piece is welded so you can't adjust the shelves.Anywho,thanks again.

Keith

Have you looked at Boltz racks (www.boltz.com)? They make all steel types of racks. I recently purchased a multimedia rack from them online and love it. Heavy duty and all 50 million bolts, washers, etc. fit perfectly.

Sorry, but I just read where you have already made a purchase. Anywho, these are dang good racks.

This message has been edited by BigStew on 07-24-2001 at 12:21 PM

Hey BigStew,haven't made the purchase yet.I was in fact just reading about the Boltz racks and popped in here to get re-read some of these suggestions.Thanks for the response!

Keith

Keith,

I have some CWD (Custom Woodwork and Designs) racks for sale if anyone is interested. They are solid oak with the dark glass doors and have been taken very good care of. I have had them for about 10 years but they look better than new. I have two racks that are 48" high by 30" wide (I think) with 4 shelves in each. I also have a low boy which is 24" high by 60" wide. I sat the TV on this and placed it in the middle of the stereo racks. I could get 600 albums along the bottom of the racks in addition to all the stereo gear I have. I can provide pictures if anyone is interested. BTW, they were $1500 new. You would have to see them to appreciate them...

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Mitsubishi 31" TV (soon to be replaced)

Denon 4800 AVR

Panasonic DVD-A7

Dual CS-721 Turntable

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch RS-3's (surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Bedroom

-------

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

I'm in the process of building a new house and had the opportunity to have all of my speaker wires run into a clsoet where I will house all of my audio/video equipment. I would like to find a fairly inexpensive rack to house the equiiptment in this closet but still allow me easy access to the cabling behind the rack. Any recommendations?