Klipsch and Audiophiles?

Czilla9000

Hello,

I am currently in the market for some speakers to be put in my bazaar bedroom. It is a large bedroom, though from my listening position (my bed) it is small due to its weird quasi-rectangular asymetrical shape. It is on the corner of my house which probably explains it.

The speakers will be placed on a small bedroom dresser (which stores some of my clothes) which is across from my bed. I realize this is not ideal, but I don't think floorstanders would work because from the prone position on the bed, on which I lay, one of the woofers would not be visible (below the top of the bed) and it would probably be firing in too close proximity to the bed.

Some audiophiles have been recommending to me speakers from the likes of Axiom, Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio, and Energy. They say that for the buck they cannot be beat. In particular, the Axiom speakers are supposed to sound near perfect at a good price.

However, Klipsch is hardly ever mentioned (unless computer speakers). I am writing here so I can hear your speaker suggestions and why (for I am guessing you will suggest them) you think I should purchase Klipsch speakers instead of the other brands I have mentioned for my situation. Basically, defend your brand.

For the record, I listen almost exclusively to classical music (Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Haydn) and I VERY frequently hear classical music live - many times from in the orchestra! I know what unamplified music sounds like. A flat frequency responce means alot to me - for my current setup is a Stax Electrostatic headphone system (which are extremely accurate).

- Thank you!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even if they are expansive in france they sound better than other speaker of the same price.

one of the advantage of the klipsch speaker is that they don t need a powerfull amp to sound good and loud.

i think the best for you is to hear several speakers with the same gear behind, so you will test only speakers.

all people don t like the same think.

the first time i heard klipsch speakers it was the SF1 in 1999.it sound so good, i cannot wait so i bought several set of promedia until i have enought money to buy some month ago a full synergy system.

all klipsch speakers have something special that make sounds them warm.

if you listen to klipsch speakers, you will buy them

9.gif

Czilla,

Welcome to the forum. Klipsch has got some fabulous sounding speakers that could make you forget that you are not THERE live. What kind of budget are you looking at? And room dimensions?

To sit on a dresser... Heresy's would work nicely.

Hello Czilla9000

I am also a newbie and will be for a while. I too was looking for speakers that I really like at one time-tried most of the speakers that you have mentioned--nothing came close to Klipsch Heritage products. If I were you--for your bedroom and you don't have much room? Try a Klipsch Heresy I or II you will be amaze on the sound you'll hear. You can also build your own stand and adjust it to a height you want. Check out Ebay they always have them. In addition; you always get your money back with the Heritage Line.

Raptorman

Hi and welcome.

Pardigm and B & W (I know you didn't mention B & W) are what I call "polite". If you regularly hear live music, you know as well as anybody that live music can be very much "in your face".

Finding a speaker that reproduces music like this is daunting. The Klipsch Heritage series come about as close as you can to it. No other speaker that I have heard can get that "in your face" live music feeling. They will provide the all the goose bumps and they will not hesitate to show you the foul-ups in the performance. They pretty much speak the truth and if you don't like the truth that is currently playing on them, you better change the music...

Before I die I WILL own some kind of Klipsch Heritage model - just can't afford 'em now.

Welcome.

My experience for small listening areas (that is most all of our homes) that replicates most appeallingly what you can hear at a live concert is a horn based speaker. Explicitely horns on the mids and highs are obviously different than most cone only speakers. Well made horns have the added benefit of needing less power to give you the sound you want. Fundamentally this means - similar dollars for electronics can be used to get less distortion instead of the traditionally needed more power.

Klipsch is probably the best deal in the United States for very good quality horn based loudspeakers - thus our attraction to Klipsch.

As to what moves me with horns - When listening to a live concert, the music is at crescendo and all are hitting strident and loud passages. At its loudest and most complex you can distinctly hear the single rap on the triangle. Good horns can replicate this in a seemingly effortless way.

Heh. It would seem to me, the mainstream 'audiophile' press still has a grudge against Klipsch. I can assure you, Klipsch is indeed audiophile-grade if not better.

They hate Klipsch simply because Paul Klipsch had a habit of destroying their claims with one simple little word. 11.gif Not to mention, Klipsch will expose the most minute flaws in a system or recording -- they're brutally honest speakers. This upsets makers of less-than-stellar gear. 9.gif

I too enjoy classical, and enjoy it loud and proud. I have Fortes, which are no longer made, they use a midrange horn as well as a tweeter horn. On well-recorded classical the effect is stunning. No hoidy-toidy 'audiophile' speaker does to me what Klipsch does -- and klipsch does it at prices I can actually afford.

I say, forget what 'audiophiles' say and try K out. 3.gif

Most "audiophiles" want "prettyboy" sound, not accuracy of reproduction. Accuracy of reproduction is called "High Fidelity" (fidelity meaning "the quality or state of being faithful" "accuracy in details" "exactness"). Most audiophiles are more comfortable in their own safe subjective realm where they can't be challenged because their only reference is their own personal preference of what "sounds best", to them, not to any comparison with the real thing. So, if you're after 'High Fidelity', then Klipsch is for you. If you simply want everything to sound "nice" you should probably look elsewhere.

Welcome to the Forum!

czilla,

Short version, I love Klipsch speakers because they make my hair stand on end. Drama! Their dynamic response is hard to beat, and classical music begs for dynamic response from a speaker! Another writer alluded that Klipsch gets panned by the "audiophiles" because PKW wouldn't "play the game". All the more reason to buy Klipsch! Isn't there enough BS in the world....

Now the tough part; the right Klipsch for your bedroom! I'm only going to speak from what I've personally owned and lived with, klipsch-wise:

Thought I saw a recommendation for Heresy 1's; my take is they might sit a little low and not fire high enough over the bed.

KG4's might be small enough to place on your dresser, and they usually aren't to expensive to come by. Make sure your dresser is sturdy, the KG4 is not light and with enough power fed through it might "walk". The possible downside of the KG4 for you might be that they are not the ideal classical music speaker. Rock listeners love 'em. As always, audition before you buy.

Chorus II's should be tall enough to fire the midrange and high to you. Half of the bass comes out the rear, so that might work, too. The Chorus II excels at classical! My favorite thing is to crank up the Haenssler-Laudatte CD of Helmuth Rilling and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's rendition of Bach's Cantata BWV 82 "Ich habe genug". You might just acquire a taste for Bach and Haendel! Toscanini conducting Beethoven's 9th ain't at all bad either. Of all the speakers I have owned, the Chorus IIs are by far my favorite.

Downside of the Chorus II is that putting them in a small room is like caging a 800lb gorilla. The Forte's and Choruses really seem to like a large room to show you what they can really do!

Hopefully, some of the other forum members can give you other opinions/recommendations for specific Klipsch speakers for your situation. Would be nice to hear from owners of the smaller speakers as well.

How about thinking out side the box? Your listening space is the bed right? That means laying down, right? How about mounting the speakers on the cealing? You could mount a pair of Heresys up there (about 50#each though) near the corners and project your sound down onto the bed, thus opening up the soundstage and the sweet spot! Hey, just an "off the wall" thought3.gif

Czilla,

Welcome to the forum!

I run a pair of 72 Heresys in my bedroom and they sound fantastic. I placed them on shelves as high as I could get them, angled down and towed in so when I am in bed I am looking right down the throats of the squawkers. I find that arrangement to be an acceptable compromise given the room size and the listening position.

I hope you find something like!

----------------

On 8/5/2004 11:36:21 AM cablacksmith wrote:

How about thinking out side the box? Your listening space is the bed right? That means laying down, right? How about mounting the speakers on the cealing? You could mount a pair of Heresys up there (about 50#each though) near the corners and project your sound down onto the bed, thus opening up the soundstage and the sweet spot! Hey, just an "off the wall" thought
3.gif

----------------

Seen it done, Walter / Wendy Carlos had a setup with four ceiling-suspended Cornwalls (!) at the studio.

bsst3.jpg

what can i say? klipsch heritage simply have no match in todays market. the first time i heard a heresy when i was 11(16 years ago) i fell in love. a few years later i heard some klipschorns and to this day, ive never heard anything better. there is a certain magic that comes from klipsch heritage speakers that cant be explained here. you simply must experience it for yourself. i too find most "audiophile" grade speakers to be extremely polite, and very lean over the complete frequency range. noting jumps up and grabs you by the balls like a nice pair of klipsch heritage.

before i die, i WILL own a pair of klipschorns.

as for a reccomendation? id say heresys should suit you just fine.

Hello again,

WOW! I am shocked by how quickly you all replied.

It seems that most of you are recommending big Klipsch Vintage Speakers.

The thing is that I don't know if I have room for them. When I say a dresser I mean something like this (without mirror):

Mah%20Dresser%20w%20Mirror2.jpg

Don't think Vintage Klipsch would fit on that. Also....the dresser is HIGHER than my bed.

But what about newer Klipsch - the Synergy and Reference Series - are they competetive with the other brands I mentioned? Or is the Hertiage Series the only series worth talking about?

THANK YOU!

----------------

On 8/5/2004 1:59:09 PM Czilla9000 wrote:

Hello again,

WOW! I am shocked by how quickly you all replied.

It seems that most of you are recommending big Klipsch Vintage Speakers.

The thing is that I don't know if I have room for them. When I say a dresser I mean something like this (without mirror):

"<a
http://www.timeinhistory.com/Mah%20Dresser%20w%20Mirror2.jpg" border="0">

Don't think Vintage Klipsch would fit on that. Also....the dresser is HIGHER than my bed.

But what about newer Klipsch - the Synergy and Reference Series - are they competetive with the other brands I mentioned? Or is the Hertiage Series the only series worth talking about?

THANK YOU!

----------------

From what I've read about the RF series from this forum, you'd better be driving them with DAMN good equipment!