Klipsch and Audiophiles?

Czilla9000

If the Heresy 2 is not an option, look at the new Reference series of speakers, particularly the RB 10 and RB 15. Both would make great music in your room. You could mount them on stands or bookshelves. If you are interested in classical music, you may wish to consider a subwoofer. The Klipsch Reference RW-8 has had some good reviews, it would match nicely with the RB 10's or 15's, and you could could hide the subbie out of the way. Later on, when finances and room permits, you could then upgrade to a Heritage series loudspeaker...12.gif ...and then tubes! ...and a turntable! and..., and..., whoops sorry about that. I've just taken my medication. I'm okay now, really! 3.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is modern Klipsch not that good? As I stated earlier, most of the suggestions I have been getting are for older used Klipsch speakers. Is modern Klipsch competitive with Axiom, B&W, and Paradigm? Are the Reference and Syngergy series lacking? How do you address Stereophile not liking the RB-15s midrange?

THANK YOU!

PS- Do you still get horn magic even when its just on the tweeter?

My take....whatever goes around, comes around.

Back in the mid-1970s, Klipsch was still very highly esteemed by the "audiophile" community. So was McIntosh.

Then what happened?

A bunch of new audio vendors came around in the late '70s with some very expensive toys, and they, along with the willing press at the time, re-defined what "high-end" was all about. The Mark Levinsons, the Krells.

Klipsch and McIntosh were brended as part of the "old establishment" and that label has kind of stuck till up until the recent few years.

With the advent of the Internet and a freer flow of information, I see today a backlash against wome of the baloney this whole "high-end" crapola espoused.

People are now re-discovering again you don't need to 2nd Mortgage your home to have good sound. That tone controls are actually good for you. That tubes sound nice and vinyl can be awesome. People are waking up.

The Klipsch (and McIntosh) may not be respected by the "high-end" establishment, but slowly they are waking up. Witness all the recent rave reviews of McIntosh gear in Stereophile and Absolute Sound.

all klipsch speakers worth the price they cost.

from the promedia to the klipschorn.

if you want good speakers for a very low cost you could go for synergy serie speaker or some old klipsch speaker.

if you have more money you could go for something more serious ( a pair of reference speakers from 3 to 7 with a sub if they are RB).

i have SF1 as main they really worth the money even if in france they are expensive and hard to find.they sound better than other speakers twice more expansive.

as i already said, you should go to a shop that sells klipsch speakers and listen to a pair them.i bet you will leave the store with a paire of klipsch speakers.

So your guys opinion is that both new and old Klipsch speakers will beat out any competitor at any price point? EXAMPLE: The Klipsch RB-15 will outperform anyother $300 non-Klipsch speaker.

Is that your opinion...do you hold Klipsch in that high an esteem?

BTW...that dresser is not mine. I just grabbed that pic off internet as example.

----------------

On 8/6/2004 3:06:33 AM Czilla9000 wrote:

So your guys opinion is that both new and old Klipsch speakers will beat out any competitor at any price point? EXAMPLE: The Klipsch RB-15 will outperform anyother $300 non-Klipsch speaker.

BTW...that dresser is not mine. I just grabbed that pic off internet as example.

----------------

for me, a klipsch speaker beat almost(it should be some ecxeption) any other non klipsch speakers of the same price.but it s because i fall in love of the klipsch sound. some people don t enjoy the way klipsch speakers sounds.

you really should listen to a pair of klipsch speakers.

i think you should not buy without listenning before.

audio is like food, it s a matter of taste.9.gif

----------------

On 8/6/2004 3:20:47 AM doudou wrote:

----------------

On 8/6/2004 3:06:33 AM Czilla9000 wrote:

----------------

for me, a klipsch speaker beat almost(it should be some ecxeption) any other non klipsch speakers of the same price.but it s because i fall in love of the klipsch sound. some people don t enjoy the way klipsch speakers sounds.

you really should listen to a pair of klipsch speakers.

i think you should not buy without listenning before.

audio is like food, it s a matter of taste.
9.gif

----------------

Ditto doudou! Czilla, you must let your ears decide and not the whims and fancies of "audio journalism"! I wandered away from the Klipsch fold for 11 years and am more than happy to be back!

You asked previously why some of were recommending old Klipsch vs. new. For me (being in S. Korea) it's a matter of budget and availibility. There are no RF series over here available at a reasonable price. Korea is basically an overpriced country (I have to remind my girlfriend constantly) and when I came across a set of Chorus II's at an audio boutique in Seoul last March, I was willing to pay a premium for them since they were the only pair I had seen for sale in my 9 years here!

The Chorus II (and other 80's vintage Klipsches) work very well with my SS Marantz (another budget driven purchase)

Fact is a lot of us own Heritage and older Klipsch because we've been in possession of it for a while. Why upgrade when you own the best!

As a Heresy 2 owner for 10 years, I tried to buy the Paradigm studio 100's because they were so well thought of. I listened to them in the store vs the RF7's. The paradigm had the nicer receiver hooked up. The RF's a midline Yamaha. There was no match. The RF7's sounded so much better at all volumes. They were more open. The one word I keep coming back to is klipsh speakers have a "sparkle" in their clarity. I couldn't believe it. Paradigms sounded very good, but it was a material difference. This type of side by side, giving the paradigm the better receiver (and placement for that matter) was all I needed. I took the RFs (though it was a week or so later...). I use adcom amps (thru a very nice HK processor (not receiver)). Even though some feel adcom is bright w/ klipsch, I'm addicted to the sound (though I like live music as well, so bright has never been an issue). I do like the heresy's for your bedroom. They'll fill up the room and later you can use them in a bigger room.

I've been a Heritage Cornwall owner for years, but recently I auditioned the entire Synergy Series lineup at our local Best Buy...I can honestly say if I was in the market right now for a pair of brand new loudspeakers, any one of the Synergy models would do my system proud...They're that good!

If you have a Best Buy close to you, do yourself a favor and give the Synegy Series a close listen...You'll be totally amazed like I was!2.gif

FWIW...

----------------

On 8/6/2004 6:57:31 AM doudou wrote:

krustyoldsarge,unfortunatly for use, it seems that klipsch are cheap only in the usa
14.gif

----------------

Tant pis, c'est la merde, n'est-ce pas?

Czilla: ya hear what everyone is sayin'! Give klipsch a fair listen. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall you mentioning anything about your budget limitiations....

----------------

On 8/6/2004 7:10:22 AM krustyoldsarge wrote:

Tant pis, c'est la merde, n'est-ce pas?

Czilla: ya hear what everyone is sayin'! Give klipsch a fair listen. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall you mentioning anything about your budget limitiations....

----------------

en fait ce serai plutot l inverse: ce n est pas du tout de la merde!les enceintes klipsch sont formidables!!

the synergy serie is of course not as good as the reference one, but if you don t want to spend all your money they are some really good speakers.

How large of speakers you can place in there? If you can't get very big speakres i recomend a subwoofer too, In fact, there are only a few speakers I would run without a sub, even for classical.

Also, what is your budget if I may ask?

if you cannot buy enormous speakers, the SF1 could do the job:

they go deep enough(40Hz), so you won t need a sub if you only listen to music, and they are quite slim for some floorstanding loudspeakers.

if you have not the place for floorstanding speakers, go for some RB or SB with the sub that match.

Get a nice pair of RF-7s! thats all you'll need. Well, the weekend is coming up, so I hope your already planning your tour de speakers! well good luck! and let us know if you like them!

imho, dont go to best buy to audition these speakers.. (they only carry the sinergy line) go to an audio store. Audition the Reference line, at the kilpsch home page theres a dealer search engine.

Good Luck! let us know how it goes!9.gif

----------------

On 8/5/2004 11:36:21 AM cablacksmith wrote:

How about thinking out side the box? Your listening space is the bed right? That means laying down, right? How about mounting the speakers on the cealing? You could mount a pair of Heresys up there (about 50#each though) near the corners and project your sound down onto the bed, thus opening up the soundstage and the sweet spot! Hey, just an "off the wall" thought
3.gif
----------------

Say Ceiling mount? Take a gander at mine - last picture on this page:

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id63.htm

Ok, it looks like the Klipsch Reference Series is what I will go with. Now which model?

As I said earlier (the intitial post) I do not believe I have room for floor standers. I think one of the woofers would fire under my bed position.

I am interested in wall-mounting bookselfs, because I heard the reference series comes with mounting equipment. Is this true? Does the mounting equipment allow me to angle the loudspeakers downward?

I am wondering if the RB75s would be too big for my room. Do they really sound like RF-7s?

Thanks.