Klipsch and Audiophiles?

Czilla9000

Audition the RB75s, theyll sound wonderful with classical music. My speakers sound amazing.. so clear.. I can only imagine the RB75s.. 3.gif

youl be all set with those two speakers.. if you listen to organ.. or lower end musci I would definely look to get a sub, perhaps you can switch out one of you night tables? 2.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to take a little more care when using floorstanders in a small room. You may end up with a boomy, bass rich sound which would not suit classical music. What you are looking for is bass extension. That's why in my original post in this thread I suggested a bookshelf and sub woofer combination. To a certain extent you can tune the bass response you want with a suitable subwoofer, like the Klipsch RW-8. (edit)... the RB-75 and other reference speakers are all outstanding at their price point. (However)...if you can get a floorstander to work in your room - then go for it.

I like the way everyone else in this thread are thinking 'out of the box'. There are some great suggestions here, and I believe they will all work - especially the ceiling mount ideas, if you were prepared to give it a go.

In answering your query about Klipsch bettering all comers, I think we need to qualify that. My answer is , yes, at each price point, Klipsch offers so much better value than it's competitors. That doesn't mean to say there aren't 'better' loudspeakers out there, but not at each product price point. As has been pointed out by other forum members, Klipsch offers outstanding sound quality while being partnered with 'budget' amplifiers. That's part of the whole Klipsch ethos. Other manufacturers offer good sounding loudspeakers as well, but many are compromised - either in sound (lacking true reproduction of music dynamics) or they require powerful and expensive partnering equipment in their attempt to compete with the Klipsch sound.

The ultimate manifestation of the Klipsch philosophy is the Klipschorn. The Klipschorn is affordable, dynamic, smooth sounding, musical and true 'high-end'. The difference between the Klipschorn and other so-called high-end loudspeakers is that you can achieve this sound quality with only a few watts of home built amplification, if that is your preference. Try doing that with competing high-end loudspeakers! 16.gif

EdwinR....the RB75s are bookshelf speakers. You seem to imply that they are floorstanders.

Also, I am waiting to hear if the Klipsch Refs. come with mounting equipment. I could mount them on the wall then.

My problem with using the RB10s or RB15s is that they are back ported. If I went with the wall mount idea that would not work. Do you think I should stay with original dresser idea and do RB15 or RB10 and sub?

Thank you

Here is my recommendation. RB-25 (front ported) with an RW-8 or a RW-10 if you can afford it. The 10 is a bit louder and deeper than the 8 and you will need the 10 if your room is big, otherwise the 8 is fine. If you really want a speaker that has a lot of mounting options, than consider the RSX-5's. You can wall mount them and face em at any angle you wish . RSXs come with a mount kit. The RB-35's or 75's would be awesome too, but they are significantly more money. And I honestly dont think you need the bass extension that those speakers will give you that others are talking about. I listen to a lot of classical and dont care nor even have much pipe orange crap. I have about 200 classical CD's many of which I inherited from the mother :) but I love classical. You just need smooth fast base so a simple RW sub should do the job when you need it better then a bookself speaker thats why I am all for a 2.1 system rather than a 2.0 system. The RB-7's have a lot of bass for a bookshelf speaker, and they definitely sound better all around, but just keep the price in mind bveause the RSX-5s and RB-25s can be had for as cheap as $265 US for the pair! Also, The RW-10 can be had for the low 300's while the RW-8 is in the 200's.

But seriously consider the RB-25s or RSX-5s they are very cheap for reference speakers and I dont know about you, but I find comfort knowing I did not saw off my arm and sell it to afford speakers. Also, you dont need a very expensive stereo receiver to power those either. Some of the heritage stuff really requires expensive hardware. Not that it sounds bad on cheap stuff, its just you are wasting so much quality because the speakers could sound a lot better.

i use the heresies as speaks for my bedroom 2 channel system, mine set on stands that keep the woofer at about 6 inches above my prone position, and they sound amayzing, they fill the room with full dynamic music, even at low volumes, and at 400 dollars you just cant beat them for sound, heritage truly is the best klipsch ever produced12.gif

Czilla9000, welcome to the forum. one comment I may add about demoing/trying out Klipsch speakers:

make sure you give them a fair listen. amps/preamps/cds/etc can make a big difference. I guess Im speaking more about listening to Klipsch Synergy at bestbuy. the one near me has klipsch set up poorly(ex: rear ported bookshelfs are pushed against the wall thus bass is not accurate, and BB lets any one touch them so they could be damaged by being over drivern/etc. oh yeah, some have yammaha amps driving them so that could make Klipsch sound harsh/bright to you...)

scp53

----------------

On 8/6/2004 8:52:07 PM 007 wrote:

Here is my recommendation. RB-25 (front ported) with an RW-8 or a RW-10 if you can afford it. The 10 is a bit louder and deeper than the 8 and you will need the 10 if your room is big, otherwise the 8 is fine. If you really want a speaker that has a lot of mounting options, than consider the RSX-5's. You can wall mount them and face em at any angle you wish . RSXs come with a mount kit. The RB-35's or 75's would be awesome too, but they are significantly more money. And I honestly dont think you need the bass extension that those speakers will give you that others are talking about. I listen to a lot of classical and dont care nor even have much pipe orange crap. I have about 200 classical CD's many of which I inherited from the mother
:)
but I love classical. You just need smooth fast base so a simple RW sub should do the job when you need it better then a bookself speaker thats why I am all for a 2.1 system rather than a 2.0 system. The RB-7's have a lot of bass for a bookshelf speaker, and they definitely sound better all around, but just keep the price in mind bveause the RSX-5s and RB-25s can be had for as cheap as $265 US for the pair! Also, The RW-10 can be had for the low 300's while the RW-8 is in the 200's.

But seriously consider the RB-25s or RSX-5s they are very cheap for reference speakers and I dont know about you, but I find comfort knowing I did not saw off my arm and sell it to afford speakers. Also, you dont need a very expensive stereo receiver to power those either. Some of the heritage stuff really requires expensive hardware. Not that it sounds bad on cheap stuff, its just you are wasting so much quality because the speakers could sound a lot better.

----------------

Czilla, glad to see you've finally got good some recommendations on the smaller klipsch speakers! My suggestion on driving setup 007 describes setup above would be a Marantz 2275 something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3279&item=5713834047&rd=1

Rationale: the sensitivity of the 007 setup is close to my KG4s, the mid 90db range. My Marantz 2220b worked a little hard to drive the KG4s. When I replaced it with a 2385, I hardly ever got above 1/4 on the volume knob.

Lots of us love SET and PP tube setups, if you've got the money, go for it! If I came across a MacIntosh I could afford, I'd ****** it! How much money and maintenance do you want to invest in a bedroom stereo?

For the money, a 70's vintage SS Marantz is hard to beat. As edwinr so succinctly stated about klipsch: best speakers at every price point, I've come to believe the same about vintage Marantz equipment. My experience with them says somewhere between a 2245 and a 2275 would drive the setup 007 describes nicely, warmly with prodigious bass. Early SS Fisher, H.H. Scott and Sherwood receivers are worth a listen, too.

Sometimes you can get lucky and pick up the right equipment at a yard sale or a pawn shop (like my 2385).

Hmmmm....

The satelite plus sub idea sounds alright, though I might wait on the sub.

Somethings don't make sense. The RSX-5 is wall mountable (Klipsch recommends it) yet it uses a rear firing port.

It has a 5.25 inch woofer yet goes down to only 92Hz. The 4" RB-10 goes down to 90Hz.

Does this mean I can wall mount any Klipsch speaker (except RB-75).. regardless of where its port is....and still get the sound that the speakers should deliver?

Also, Klipsch says that all the bookshelfs come with "keyholes" for mounting. Does this mean I do not need exterior mounting equipment? Basically, everything I need is included?

Thanks.

PS- I cannot do more bazaar ideas due to asymmetry of my room.

The speaker hands out from the speaker hangs out from the wall a good few inichs allowing the air to flow aout of the port.

photo from klipsch.com

Here is a photo i took of mine of the rear ports

my rsx's

If you can find used heritage, nothing will beat that, but find a good amp too. If you can find a place for larger bookshelf speakers like rb-25's or 35's get them or if you can afford the 75's by all means... If money and space/placement is an issue, you can get the rsx-5's. They are a lot smaller and dont sacrifice very much either. They will really blow you away for their size. They make bose sound like an intercom. But no matter what you get I highly recommend a sub. Either the RW-10 or RW-8. Both have suburb build quality and sound.

----------------

On 8/6/2004 8:33:15 PM Czilla9000 wrote:

EdwinR....the RB75s are bookshelf speakers. You seem to imply that they are floorstanders.

My problem with using the RB10s or RB15s is that they are back ported. If I went with the wall mount idea that would not work. Do you think I should stay with original dresser idea and do RB15 or RB10 and sub?

Thank you

----------------

Sorry. I got them confused with the RF-25's. (I've edited my original post).

The backported RB10's and RB15's don't require more than a few inches from the wall. They roll off in the bass pretty quickly and smoothly anyway - so the original dresser idea sounds good. Later on you could deploy the RB10's or RB15's as surrounds if you decide on a 5.1 system.

All Klipsch speakers use horn tweeters, right? That is what gives them their realism, correct?

Basically, do all Klipsch speakers contain the "Klipsch sound"?

I would love to get the RB75s but it does not seem like they would work in my room. I did some searching and the RB25s seem to be considered MUCH MUCH better than the RSX-5. I can find the RB25s on the internet for $299.

What do I need to mount the RB25s?

I am sort of caught between a rock and a hard place. If I get the RSX-5 I get excellent acoustic placement but worse speakers. If I get the RB25s I get better speakers but worse acoustic placement.

What is a man to do!

PS - I am looking at subs for Hsu and SVS (I think they are considered the best). Would you advise I stick to klipsch subs?

I am thinking of powering the speakers with a ultra-modern Sharp 1-bit Stereo CD Receiver. It is a VERY compact pure digital amplifier which samples the audio stream 5.6 million times per second (5.6 MHz; twice that of SACD) that can also be wall mounted. Best of all it costs about $250, everything included.

It gives 20 watts per channel @ 1 khz @ 0.02 THD. That is plenty for the speakers, right?

THANK YOU!!!

----------------

On 8/8/2004 5:59:26 AM Czilla9000 wrote:

All Klipsch speakers use horn tweeters, right? That is what gives them their realism, correct?

I am sort of caught between a rock and a hard place. If I get the RSX-5 I get excellent acoustic placement but worse speakers. If I get the RB25s I get better speakers but worse acoustic placement.

What is a man to do!

PS - I am looking at subs for Hsu and SVS (I think they are considered the best). Would you advise I stick to klipsch subs?

I am thinking of powering the speakers with a ultra-modern Sharp 1-bit Stereo CD Receiver.

THANK YOU!!!

----------------

All Klipsch speakers offer the Klipsch sound - dynamic, easy to drive and musical. It's just that as you move down the model range, you obviously get a smaller version of the Klipschorn sound. If you stick with the Reference range, compromises are less than you'd expect for the price. You will get a true representation, of the dynamism and realism that Klipsch speakers are reknown for.

I think that if you do not buy the sub straight away, then go for the RB-25. It will offer a bigger sound than it's smaller cousins, but will probably not be so over powering as the RB-75 in a smaller room. There are plenty of mounting options available - speak to your Klipsch dealer.

I still think you should seriously consider the Klipsch subwoofers. They are superbly built, have outstanding engineering credentials, and frankly are easily the match of any competitors. For some reason, Klipsch have not received the recognition they deserve for their subwoofer products.

In relation to the Sharp receiver, I have to admit, the 1 bit idea appeals to me. I read a review of the original and horribly expensive Sharp intergrated digital amplifier. It received rave reviews. It's only a matter of time before this technology takes off. I think that the Sharp would be a good option. 20 watts is plenty of power for the RB-25 and it would be fun to give this new technology a go. You're on the right track. Keep it simple, and stick to Klipsch - you can't go wrong!

----------------

On 8/8/2004 7:27:21 AM Czilla9000 wrote:

Thanx for the encouragement. The 1-bit unit actually does 20 W (though Sharp says it can probably do 25) into 4 ohms. So it would be 10 W into 8 ohms.

Is 10 (or slightly more) Watts enough power?

----------------

It should be enough power. Some other forum members may disagree, but in a smaller room it would be a good match.

• 3 weeks later...

all that is needed to mount the RB-25s is a pair of screws and a pair of drywall anchors. I have a pair wall mounted in my office and have been extremely pleased with them. They are the perfect application for great quality sound in a small room.

you also asked about wattage - in my house i use a-bus distibution for non-critical listening in multiple rooms. The volume control contains the amplifier which I believe is probably around 6-10 watts. I drive klipsch reference series in-walls and get a suprising amount of sound (and quality) from such little power. I think klipsch wrote the book on efficiency.