Sharps New SACD/DVDA DigiAmps ($379-$740)

Czilla9000

I find this new fangled 'digital amplifier' stuff to be cool. Sharp now has some new 1-bit DigiReceivers out that upsample SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V, MP3, DTS, DD 5.1, CD, and Alarm Clock to a 1/5.6 MHz DSD bitstream (Pulse Density Modulation/Delta Sigma Modulation) for amplification.

NOTE: Sharps method of digital amplification is different than that of other brands. Other DigiAmps use PWM. Sharp uses PDM (DSD). Both have flaws and advantages.

The first new model is the SD-PX2 ($379 street).

photo_sdpx2.jpg

It is only 4.5 inches think and is wall mountable. It includes a built in SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V, CD player and a AM/FM radio tuner. It has 5 digital 1-bit amps running at 5.6 MHz and capable of producing 35 watts into 4 ohms (FTC rates it as 25 watts min. into 4 ohms with 2% THD max) in all of them. If it is like other 1-bit amps, it should have 0.02 THD at 1 watt.

A lot packed into a small area.

The second unit is the HX-500 ($740 street). It is basically the same as the SD-PX2 but does 100 watts per channel and has two seperate wall mountable boxes (an amp and a player) connected by a cable (EDIT: It also uses binding posts as opposed to the PX2s spring clips). There is a HX600 which adds an av selector box.

I think it would be interesting to hear SACD/DVDA upsampled to 5.6 MHz. What do you think?

I am thinking of having one of these units power a bedroom stereo as I discussed in my last thread. Do you think both would work fine?

If you type in "Sharp 1-bit" on google you will get webpages returned from Sharp World and Sharp USA. The Sharp World site has more info.

Keep in mind that the Panasonic Digital Receivers uses Texas Intruments Equibit tech, which has its roots in the high-end Tact Millenium. I have heard good things about them.

----------------

On 8/9/2004 3:33:37 AM Czilla9000 wrote:

I find this new fangled 'digital amplifier' stuff to be cool. Sharp now has some new 1-bit DigiReceivers out that upsample SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V, MP3, DTS, DD 5.1, CD, and Alarm Clock to a 1/5.6 MHz DSD bitstream (Pulse Density Modulation/Delta Sigma Modulation) for amplification.

I am thinking of having one of these units power a bedroom stereo as I discussed in my last thread. Do you think both would work fine?

----------------

Looks great Czilla9000. As you suggested in your earlier thread, the Sharp is a great option. Certainly a step up from the standard budget receiver fare we are usually forced to put up with by other manufacturers. 35 watts per channel is ample power but obviously the upmarket 100 watts per channel model could be better, I guess. It's amazing how much is packed into a small package like that. If you buy one, let us know what it sounds like - it could be an option for a bedroom system for me. When my new Klipschorns arrive, I could maybe wall mount my old Klipschorns and drive them with one of the new Sharp receivers. Just kiddin' 9.gif

Since I sleep almost exclusively on my side, I have mounted my bedroom Khorns one at the corner created by the floor and the wall, and one up top, where the wall and ceiling meet. Currently, I am trying to figure out a way to lie down and not get that muffled pillow sound through the lower ear.