Best affordable center match

endover

My wife says it's time to clean house and have a garage sale.....(but don't get too excited, the Klipsch aren't going out to the street).

We don't have room for all my (old) full size speakers that I have laying around the house. Bottom line is that she said if I get rid of all my full size (NON-Klipsh) speakers, then she'd let me spend some cash to get a decent center channel speaker (and this is a big deal since I just spent about $500 on my RS-35's including getting them nicely internally wired and mounted on the back wall of my living room).

I'm running a 5.1 arrangement that sounds really good right now and I don't plan on changing that. The center channel would be mostly for watchin my dvd's.

I CAN'T AFFORD AN ACADEMY so don't even suggest it..... I'm crying already!

At best, I've probably got $300 to spend..... I'm not looking for a perfect match 'cause I don't have the perfect money to afford the perfect match. What's some of the better ones out there that would go with my Chorus II's and RS-35's.

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer but after some digging around, I think I'm going to hold out for a good price on the RC3II. The stats seem a little better suited to what I have. I'm tempted to try the RC35 but I'm seeing too many disappointed folks to risk it. It's a risk no matter how I look at it since anything I purchase has to be mail ordered (no local Klipsch dealer) so I'm just trying to minimize the risk.

You really should NOT waste your money on either of those RC models. They both have trouble keeping up with RF3s so there's so way they will come anywhere close to keeping up with your speakers -- and furthermore the timbermatch would be WAY off!! You'd be a lot better off with a KV-3 or that KG-2.2V. Effeciency wise those centers wouldn't keep up either, but the tonal match would be much much closer. In all honestly I wouldn't even suggest an Academy; those thing are far to over-priced these days! If you have that much money to spend you would be A LOT better off buying squawker and tweeter horns (that match your front mains) and a couple woofer then building a custom center. And yes it really does sound a lot better than anthing you can buy! 9.gif

troostj,

I must admit that I don't know that firsthand, but I've seen enough people here stating it that I tend to believe it. Many of them use the larger RC7, but I myself would suggest acquiring a lone RF3 and redoing the front baffle to make it into an ideal center channel speaker (for RF3 mains).

I haven't done much looking at the KLF-C7 before now but I still tend to like the RC3II.....In the infamous words of somebody......"I'm so confused".......

Academy is out($$$$$$)!

RC7 is out ($$$$)!

Building my own caibent is out!

I'm not a timbre matching genius but since those three options are out, it appears I'm going to have to give up on any "quality" timbre matching.

Given all those options (or lack thereof)....What's going to go best with my Chorus II's and RS-35's?

RC-35, RC3II or KLF-C7.

??????????????????????????

None of center's you listed are ideal, the Ref series are too small and won't keep up, and won't come close in timbre'. The ones that I initially suggested will work well, be close in timbre and won't empty your pocket book.

But if you are dead set on the one's that you did list I would use the KLF-C7, efficiency is almost identical to the CHR II's and it should keep up.

i have noticed though that the KLf-c7 usuallygoes for over 400 dollars, and your budget was $300, within that price range i would go with the RC-3II. It is rather effiecient also (97db), and the timber match is not that big of a problem if you have the same brand speakers. I do notice it with my setup, but it is something i can deal with to stay within my budget. It it is not big of of a noticablre difference.