Hurricane Charlie

radiob

----------------

On 8/13/2004 3:36:34 AM tillmbil wrote:

I live in Tampa and they have asked us to evacuate at 6:00am this morning. I must stay and guard my equipment.

----------------

Best of luck, Bill! This could be really tough on your area. Charley's still projected to pass over and probably dump a lot of rain on D.C.

I also live in Tampa and am getting a little nervous. The news channels are saying that we should expect a 16 foot storm surge and 130 MPH winds. That will put alot of water where water doesn't belong. We have had a ton of rain in the past month and all of the retention areas and conservation areas are overflowing already. I hate to see what it is going to look like around here tomorrow. I live on a lake that is surrounded by conservation areas (read swamps) that are already at peak capacity. I do have flood insurance though so I guess I will be covered if the RF-7's float away.

Word of advice to locals. Take lots of pictures of your stuff. Insurance companies really tighten up during times like this in order to limit their exposure and losses.

Mike

I wish you guys all the luck you can get. Living in the Upper Midwest, all we have to worry about are blizzards, which mean so long as you have enough smokes and beer, you get a day or two to stay home and watch Jerry Springer, get friendly with mama, and go out and shovel 6 or 8 times, or tornadoes, which, although devastating, usually cover a pretty small area. Like someone said, your stuff is replaceable, you guys aren't. Stay safe.

After dealing with Isabel last year, I can certainly feel for you guys. It looks like we up here in Virginia may get a piece of the action from Charley also, so flooding is a real concern here. Good thing I am far enough away from the river, on high ground.

Prayers are with you here. I hope you do come out of this pretty much unscathed.

Greetings from Savannah, GA - also in the path of Charly.

To you Tampa area folks - like someone else said, things can be replaced, people (that would be YOU) cannot. I "rode out" hurricane Camille in Pass Christian, MS (eye of storm passed directly over house) so I know the potential disaster of a hurricane. Gather photos, important papers, your CPU, animals, credit cards, take a bunch of photos, and then...

GET THE HELL OUTTA DODGE!!!

I'm saying a prayer for you guys.

mark1101 - where in Georgia are you??

Tom

It's raining here in Lakeland (western Polk County between Tampa and Orlando), and the wind is starting to pick up a bit, but at this moment (5:45 PM) it's no different from our usual thunderstorms. The eye of Charley is south of us just north of Ft. Myers at over 100 MPH...by the time the eye reaches Polk County (NE at 20 MPH, east of our house) by 8 PM it'll most likely be a Catagory 3 storm with sustained winds over 80 MPH. We're under a tornado warning until 2 AM, so it's gonna be a long night tonight!

My only concern is a tall pine tree about 20' from the back of the house. We're on high ground here, so flooding is not an issue.