I am thinking about improving my '63 K-horns

blimycapn

----------------

On 8/17/2004 3:22:40 PM BEC wrote:

Scotty,

Do your '63 Khorns have the K-500-5000 crossovers or the Type A? Not sure when that change happened.

Bob Crites

----------------

How would I tell? Is there a label somewhere? I can tell you it's a rather large coil and appears to be very well constructed.

I'll use a mirror and find the serial numbers as well. Perhaps this will yield some clarity. The horns are made of wood.

Hi Dean, I'm using an old Dynaco ST70 tube amp with Van Alstine mods. Dynaco PAS2 pre-amp and a very old Sansui CD player as kind of a test bench setup where I can sample different speaker combos. I guess it is all relative and like I've stressed, just the way my ears hear things. Certainly not meant to be anything but opinion.

The speakers I use normally with the ST70 setup are a pair of modified '83 Cornwalls. This for 2-channel listening.

I have one small HT setup in the living room with stock Forte II's as mains, stock Heresy (1's) as surrounds, and a stock Heresy 2 as the center coupled with a KSW200 sub and I have to admit, in this configuration the K55V's, K77's and whatever the Forte 2's and Heresy 2 has in them sound very good, not too sibilent. Very clear and detailed. This setup uses a Denon 1701 receiver which in my opinion has some problems decoding pro logic. But feed it a digital audio signal and it performs fine in DD5.1 mode.

Could someone please list the prices for the networks from each of the forum members that Dean listed? I have been wanting to do this for awhile but have been putting it off. I just need an idea as to what I would be spending. For instince...give me a ballpark figure for a new set of crossovers that will simply return the speakers to OEM specs and also a figure for the "top of the line" networks.

BTW I have the AA's with the caps unlike most of the AA's I see with the cans.

So no one wants to touch this one eh? Just feed out the rope so Dean can hang himself? Since I'm the least technical of the bunch, that would only take about 3 feet of rope I do believe.:) How does one respond to a question like this without sounding like a bad advertisement?

I actually don't know what John or Bob charge for their networks. You will probably have to PM or email them to find out. I know Bob's are the most affordable, and he would simply tell you that the cost of the parts aren't as important as the performance revealed by his testing methods. I would tell you that measurements don't always tell the whole story, since often times things that measure near the same can sound quite different. I just don't believe the measurements capture the whole gammut of what the ear/brain can detect. I'm the odd man out here, and I'm sure John, Al, and Bob think I'm wrong. I very well could be, and there is no sense in being arrogant about it all.

As far as what "top of the line" is, that is completely subjective. There are different ways to cook a roast, and they all taste good. I think this is how I prefer to look at it.