yamaha HTR-5730

Indyboy

I recently found the yamaha HTR-5730 at best buy for $200 and was wondering if this is a good receiver to hook up to a pair of either sf-2s or possibly sb-3's, as well as another pair of klh bookshelves. If you have used this receiver or tryed it out any comments are appreciated, thanks.

----------------

On 8/16/2004 12:09:08 PM Griffinator wrote:

The 5730 is crap, friend. the 5x25 and 5x30 series HTR's are the absolute bottom of the Yamaha line. Not even worth considering.
----------------

Better or worse than the Sony 5 series receivers ($200 bracket)?

----------------

The 5730 is crap, friend. the 5x25 and 5x30 series HTR's are the absolute bottom of the Yamaha line. Not even worth considering.

----------------

LMAO....how do you really feel about them Griff? Still chuckling over here.

My understanding is that the HTR series of Yamaha receivers are generally distributed to and sold by the large discount stores, such as Best Buy and Circuit City. The RX line of Yamaha receivers are generally distributed to and sold by audio "salons," i.e., small specialized audio/video dealers. I can't say for sure that the two lines are substantially different in quality of parts, construction, etc. You may want to examine the user reviews of that model or similar ones on www.audioreview.com. While the reviews on that site are not a truly objective indicator of quality, it will often reveal whether or not a particular model is a "dog;" i.e., it will receive a disproportionate number of negative reviews and/or comments. As a rule, nearly all Yamaha receivers have historically received good ratings and comments from purchasers. As far as my personal experience goes, I have had a HTR-5650 for about a year, and am quite happy with it. A friend bought an RX-540 a few months later. When I helped him set up his system, it was obvious that the two receivers were identical in all external and functional respects. Same face plate (expect for model number), same buttons, same remote, and same user functions (DPS modes, menus, etc.).

Keep in mind that, with the exception of a presentation of objective scientific data, nearly everything you will read on these forums is an expression the individual poster's subjective viewpoint, which may or may not be similar to anyone else's personal experience or based on any objective evidence.

I was debating betweeen an HTR series receiver and a RXV series receiver about 6 years ago, I found 2 units that had identical specs but the HTR unit was cheaper and at the time I could get a better no intrest financing deal on it(I was a poor college student). I sent an e-mail to Yamaha asking them what the difference was and they replied that there was no difference in the receivers and they were marked differently for where they were meant to be sold.

As a longtime Yamaha lover, I'd stay away from the HTR series from Yamaha. I've been visiting their web site trying to sort out my next purchase and it will DEFINITELY be the RXV series like my old Dolby Pro Logic RXV850 that has served me well for 10 years or so.

Reviewing Yamaha's own literature, the HTR series, especially the lower end (5730) lacks discrete Dolby processing, zone 2, pre-outs, phono inputs, Svid inputs...etc. etc. You've got to go the the 'top of the line' 5790 to get phono inputs, zone 2/rec out, and a learning remote control.

IMHO, this line is probably not built with the quality components that the RXV line is. Not the most accurate spec, but the HTR5730 weighs in at only 14.1 pounds, whereas a mid-line RXV740 weighs in at 28.7 pounds, so there's got to be something missing in the HTR, I'd stay with the flagship line.

Happy Listening!

My take on the 2 lines is that the products are identical once you get far enough up the HTR line. I believe the HTR starts at a lower entry point, and thus is lacking some of the features found only in the RXV line, but that is because the RXV line starts higher up. If you go up the HTR scale, you reach a point where the product line matches the RXV virtually line item for item, if I recall correctly.

For example, compare the RX-V650 to the HTR-5760, or the RX-V450 to the HTR-5740. Except for some small differences (such as HT automation, multi-zone, etc..., which may be important in some cases), they are the same. I imagine the identical components are used within.

I've got an RXV 550, and I like it very much. There is no difference other than appearance and marketing between the two lines. Folks around here with their noses in the air will tell you if it came from Best Buy, it's crap. Well, here you go, direct from the Yamaha website:

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods, the same manufacturer's suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units.

There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality metal front panel construction.

The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.

The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail.

All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.

----------------

On 8/16/2004 2:08:47 PM RichardP wrote:

My understanding is that the HTR series of Yamaha receivers are generally distributed to and sold by the large discount stores, such as Best Buy and Circuit City. The RX line of Yamaha receivers are generally distributed to and sold by audio "salons," i.e., small specialized audio/video dealers. I can't say for sure that the two lines are substantially different in quality of parts, construction, etc. You may want to examine the user reviews of that model or similar ones on www.audioreview.com. While the reviews on that site are not a truly objective indicator of quality, it will often reveal whether or not a particular model is a "dog;" i.e., it will receive a disproportionate number of negative reviews and/or comments. As a rule, nearly all Yamaha receivers have historically received good ratings and comments from purchasers. As far as my personal experience goes, I have had a HTR-5650 for about a year, and am quite happy with it. A friend bought an RX-540 a few months later. When I helped him set up his system, it was obvious that the two receivers were identical in all external and functional respects. Same face plate (expect for model number), same buttons, same remote, and same user functions (DPS modes, menus, etc.).

Keep in mind that, with the exception of a presentation of objective scientific data, nearly everything you will read on these forums is an expression the individual poster's subjective viewpoint, which may or may not be similar to anyone else's personal experience or based on any objective evidence.

----------------

You are exactly right except that the RX series does not get as cheapo-rama as Best Buy has forced Yamaha into building the HTR series.

There is no RX counterpart for the HTR-5x40, 30, or 25. These are the absolute lowest end of the Yamaha spectrum, and they are crapola, made to compete with the crapola Sony, Pioneer, and Kenwood sell at that price point.

You want a real assessment of that range (<$300)? It's all garbage. For $400, get a Panny digital receiver, and plan on saving your money until you can afford some serious gear. If you can't swing $400, then plan on being disappointed no matter which brand you buy.

Careful gang! From Yamaha's own literature on website they have a FAQ section. One question was 'what is difference between RXV and HTR lineups"?

Other than the obvious cosmetic and some functionality differences, please note the following:

"The HTR series FTC rated power is at 1kHz, the RXV is rated power from 20-20,000Hz."

o when looking at spec sheets, you are comparing apples to lemons!

my .02

"There is no RX counterpart for the HTR-5x40, 30, or 25"

Not picking nits, just want to be accurate. It appears that the HTR-5740 is a RX-V450, at least looking at the comparison sheets side by side, but I could be mistaken (again)1.gif :

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/compare/htr_comp.htm

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/compare/receiver_18.htm

----------------

On 8/18/2004 1:13:53 PM dougdrake wrote:

"There is no RX counterpart for the HTR-5x40, 30, or 25"

Not picking nits, just want to be accurate. It appears that the HTR-5740 is a RX-V450, at least looking at the comparison sheets side by side, but I could be mistaken (again)
1.gif
:

----------------

I stand corrected. There is no RX counterpart for the 5x30 or 25. The 25 is an absolute piece of trash, designed specifically to put Yammy into the competitive sub-$500 HTiB package market. The 30 isn't any better - only adds a 6th channel.

• 16 years later...
On 8/16/2004 at 8:21 AM, kenratboy said:

Pretty harsh opinion. I’ve owned a 5730 for nearly 20 years and has performed perfectly. Audiofile quality? Probably not. However, it has well severed its purpose for a small investment. May want to rethink using the term “CRAP”  to sustain credibility in your reviews.

----------------

----------------

Better or worse than the Sony 5 series receivers ($200 bracket)?

• 1 year later...

I just picked up an HTR at an estate sale and cannot for the life of me get sound out of it.  Will this unit work with only one pair of speakers or do I have to set up all to make it work?  The owners manual tells how to set up with remote but I do not have one.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Keno, the HTR series Yamaha AVRs should work with any speakers.  Have you checked all the basic settings, like Speakers A are switched on, the correct input setting is selected so that your source's (tuner, turntable, CD/DVD player, etc.) signal can get into the receiver?  Is your source or  your sources plugged into the right socket(s)?

Those are really obvious things, but I just want to make sure you haven't overlooked something that's so simple to assume that you have right.  If you check all those things and everything is right, but you've still got no sound, I'd call Yamaha Customer Service and ask for Tech Support.  They should be happy to walk you through it.  I had to call them for help when I first got my 2016 RX-A2060, because I couldn't get the signal to get from the receiver to the subwoofer.  The required setting was not at all intuitive, which is why I didn't spot it.  AVRs are getting complicated, so it's not hard to run into what seems like a dead end at times.  That's why audio companies have Tech Support departments.  You can probably order a new remote control, too, but if it's expensive, you might want to look at a new receiver that comes with a remote.

If there's no satisfaction and it looks like your HTR turns out to be a dud, don't worry.  Yamaha AVRs come in a really wide range of prices.  I think they start at around $300, although you'll probably have to spend a bit more if you want one with a Phono In, in case you have a turntable.

Hope this is helpful.

Also, welcome to the Forum!