Replacement woofer for CF-4

STV_Keith

----------------

On 8/21/2004 9:56:02 PM STV_Keith wrote:

I managed to blow one of the K-30-KN drivers in my CF-4's, so I called Klipsch and they discontinued that driver. Not only that, there is no superceeded part available either.

Now what?

----------------

That really sucks. They were only discontinued 8 years ago - I would be very ANGRY if I'd paid full $2500 retail for the speakers and 7-8 years later couldn't get any factory support for them. I've seen accounts here at the forums of Klipsch owners get parts for far older speakers direct from the factory.

Heck, I'd be angry buying them used and having that happen. I'd be looking at my living room full of Klipsch stuff, hearing the Klipsch factory operator saying 'So solly, Charlie!' and thinking "WTF!!!! @#$%!!!"

I don't know that re-coning would necessarily help you. As I understand it, re-coning won't help if the voice coil is damaged. I guess it couldn't hurt to get an estimate

I'm going to guess(?) that a clipping amplifier damaged the woofer. There's no substitute for a protective circuit like McIntosh's Power Guard. I would NEVER ever buy a solid state amplifier unless it had a similar effective clipping protection - sorry, that means Aragon too I believe!

EDIT -

Actually, reconing DOES include voice coil replacement/repairs. Looks to be about $100 or less at Simply speakers - http://www.simplyspeakers.com/16reconing.htm -

The good news - that's about 1/2 the cost of a new driver - IF they could be obtained. The neodymium drivers were VERY expensive. However, it will take an extra month of down time for the repair to occur.

Good luck! BTW, it takes a LOT of undistorted power to damage one of those K-30-KN drivers. The speakers are rated for 300 continuous, 1000 peak! I don't know what you're running - there's no system specified in your profile.

This is speculation on my part - BUT, the higher the wattage amp, the FASTER it will destroy a driver if clipped. In other words, a 200 watt amp is sending 10 times the current into a speaker than a 20 watt amp. Therefore, once driven to overload, the 200 watt amp can wreck a voice coil ten times faster than the 20 watt. I should get a cheapo pair of used speakers and run some tests to confirm. LOL

But the point is, the more powerful the amp, the more vital anti-clipping protection is, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...