New K-horns...Help me get over the edge

rmaustin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on a great purchase. There's nothing like unboxing brand new speakers. I have the original Cornwalls. I also sold a pair of Cornwall II's and own Klipschorns. IMHO the K-Horn totally rivals the Cornwall speaker. They are just amazing. I did however, make a pair of ALK crossover clones so I could adjust the output of each driver. The new corssovers were a nice upgrade. My dream is to get another pair for 5 channel listening. I still run a sub with the K-Horns too and it adds more realism to my listening experience. Let us know how you like them and how the wife reacts.

• 4 weeks later...

Great news guys,My dealer called me today and informed me that he was standing by my brand new pair of 2004 Khorns.He received them in this afternoon,chills ran down my spine as I talked to him.The only problem is Im going out of town on company business Wed to Friday of this week and as for next week he cannot get them to me until Wed the Oct. 13th.I guess I can wait another week,anyway the 13th of Oct. is my 43rd birthday.Is that good timing or what.Im going to take plenty of pics as they are delivered and set up,so everyone please stay tuned.

Also, after you become addicted to the Khorns there is also very good chance you will end up getting addicted to some silly speaker manufacturer's forum!

1,738 posts... Naw.. It can't be true?

Naw tell me it aint true!!!!!!!

Klipschorn owner lover since 1989 oak, and never tweeked too.

ps... If you take my pic, you can re size it to see my family room too...

I think this entire thread is just a Klipsch marketing setup. Who are all these people posting? Have you ever seen or heard from them before? This is just made up names from Klipsch, and of course they want you to purchase new. They are scrolling this thread on the factory big screen as I type.

The only way I am getting horns is if we get a new house where I can build a theatre/hobby room. I would love new ones, I could pass them along to my kids. Get them and ENJOY!! Just make sure we are all invited to the first get together!

----------------

On 10/6/2004 5:19:31 PM mandi wrote:

I think this entire thread is just a Klipsch marketing setup. Who are all these people posting? Have you ever seen or heard from them before? This is just made up names from Klipsch, and of course they want you to purchase new. They are scrolling this thread on the factory big screen as I type.

----------------

Yes, several were at the June gathering in Indy! We had a great time. 9.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys,took delivery on my new k- horns last Wed.10/4/13.Because of work and family commitments,did'nt unbox and hookup until last weekend.When dealer delivered, first thing he said was to hook them up and run them for 24 to 36 hours for breakin.Unboxed and hooked up last Saturday,first impressions,a little weak compaired to the cost of these but after a couple of days they have opened up a good bit.The more they run the better they sound.One thing I have noticed is I have a sound stage I have never had before.One question I have to anyone that can help,I've got these in a dedicated home theater media room that is 16 x 21 in deminsions.Because of home theater,I have these installed on the short wall (16 foot wall).For these to be aimed at the sweet spot, Im having to toe them out a little and doing so,they are not completely sealed in the corners like they should be.They are not off much from the corner but it does concern me a little.Im thinking of building false walls but Im thinking it might not make much of any difference.The bass response is good where they are at but I have heard that parts of the mid bass may suffer if not completely sealed to the corners.I do not want to go to the trouble of building false walls if its not really a great performance difference.Thanks for any input.

Just seal them in the corners anyway. You'll get more benefit from sealing correctly then you will from pointing them at the sweet spot. I think you'll find that they'll fill the room with no problem.

Of course, good false corners is the best of both worlds.

I agree with the suggestion about the foam insulation. Tow them in to match your listening sweet spot, then pack them out with the foam insulation at the back to get a good seal. This will give you the best of both worlds - an even bass response and a great soundstage. It is certainly ideal if you had your Klipschorns in the long corner, but we have to work with what we've got. Enjoy...

are you sure the imaging suffers when they are well seated in the corner, or are you toeing them to "aim" them better at your currnet listening position? have you given them a thorough listen when properly seated in the corner? I find that A variety of listening positions can work with k-horns though there is always a sweet spot for holography....

I have listened to my klipcshorns with and without a good corner placement/seal and greatly prefer their sound when placed solidly into corners, mid bass seems to be most affected by the corner placment. False corners are an option (I currently use a false corner on one side of my room where the corner does not support the k-horn).

regards, tony