Help with veneer on Klipschorns

robforst1

My Klipschorns (that I bought used about 6 months ago) sound awesome!

The problem is that someone ruined the wood. Their are black waterstains on the tops which are probably from potted plants that overflowed.

The fronts are in decent shape. Although, there are some significant scratches. Also, the veneer between the tops and bottoms is chipped and flaking off.

I tried sanding and restaining. However, this did not solve the problems at all. I think I need to reapply a new veneer. I found some interesting wood veneers on the web: http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/samples/samples3.html

Has anyone ever done this or had someone do this (adhere a new veneer to their k-horns)?

Thanks in advance for your reply...

Im in the process of doing just that...i got some 72 Ks painted white over flat black im going to put veneer on them and make them into B models to.Do a search for LaScala project a member here is doing a great job with these and has helped me,,,his nick here is Greg928s i think not sure.You will need to pull off the loose stuff fill the gaps and then veneer.Greg used a new process on glung that im going to try to.Maybe he will chime in here and give you the link to his site.let me know if you need any help ...Rick

Zebrawood Heresy page.

Rosewood Klipschorns.

Custom La Scalas

Tapeease.

Certainly Wood.

I had difficulties with the iron-on method on the oak La Scalas. Lot's of bubbling of the veneer after a month or so. NOT GOOD. This method is real woodworking plus a pain-in-the-arse dealing with the amount of glue, type of veneer, climate conditions, etc...

I guess what I'm saying is that if someone is not a woodworker and is doing veneering for the first time, I would recommend they look at NBL backed veneer and contact cement. That's how I did the Rosewood Khorns, only I used raw wood veneer on the edges.

Greg