For those if you with some woodworking skills.. other upgrade paths exist besides Klispch.

Pistol Pete

First and foremost , I respect and enjoy Klipsch speakers , after all even after I got rid of my Klipschs I still enjoy reading here.

Anyways I built some Studio Series 4 Pis from http://www.pispeakers.com , details are here, http://home.comcast.net/~bentvalve/pi.htm

Its been around a month now and I cannot believe what a major leap these were from my RF-3IIs, I have heard LaScalas , RF-7s and the KLF20s

and I feel as though my Pis outperform all of them. $750 and some time and I have a true lifetime set of speakers..there simply is not much else to be

desired in a speaker from here. These are unbelievably dynamic , powerful and detailed sounding...extremely delicate when needed and powerful

and explosive when needed.

These are really quite easy to build , I highly recommend these to any Klispch owners who might be looking for other alternatives in horn speakers.

Pi is owned my Wayne Parham who has been building and designing speakers since the 70s....there are models for as low as $100 a pair for the parts

on up to $1000 and more.

Wayne shares the plans for free over the internet, just go the his forum and ask.

Well I hope I am not intruding here at Klipsch because that is not my goal, I just wanted to let Klispch owners know about these great speakers.

I have run into Pi Speakers before... and was considering them when I was in a really big speaker building mood. Since, though... I have kind of gotten into amps a lot more... though I would like to build a set of speakers.

If they sound that much better than Klipsch's, though, I better not build any of them. 3.gif I like my Klipsch's a LOT.

Actually... maybe I would build a pair of those for two-channel only... I need more speakers crammed into my room. 9.gif I barely have enough room to walk now... so I don't quite have enough speakers. When I have to climb over top of everything, then I have plenty. 2.gif

After reading what-his-face's self-promoting "white-paper" on the pi corner horn modeled on the original Klipsch 1946 paper "A New Horn Loudspeaker of Small Proportions", I thought that it was too much...

No number of 6" drivers are going to beat a Khorn. So I wrote them off as viable contenders...

Not even in the same league, IMO.

DM2.gif

The horn is an Eminence H-290, Radial 90x40 , I did not build the corner horns simply because I dont have the space for such a large speaker.

Mine are one of the smaller speakers from Pi.

Thanks for the compliment but my work is nothing compared to some other home built Pi speakers, check out the gallery..

http://home.comcast.net/~bentvalve/pigallery.htm

----------------

On 9/1/2004 3:31:15 PM D-MAN wrote:

After reading what-his-face's self-promoting "white-paper" on the pi corner horn modeled on the original Klipsch 1946 paper "A New Horn Loudspeaker of Small Proportions", I thought that it was too much...

No number of 6" drivers are going to beat a Khorn. So I wrote them off as viable contenders...

Not even in the same league, IMO.

DM
2.gif
----------------

What white paper are you reffering to? The Pi Speaker Alignment Theory? .. http://www.pispeakers.com/PiAlign.doc

I am not sure what you are talking about but no Pi speakers use anything smaller than an 8" driver.

No, it was titled "A NEW HORN LOUDSPEAKER OF SMALL PROPORTIONS" just like the original Klipsch paper which set the tone of the thing.

I ran across this a couple of years ago, maybe it's no longer available on the net, who knows. It was on the pi website at that time.

DM2.gif