Crossover to bi-amp...

STV_Keith

have I got the deal for you. I'm an ex-pa engineer who's trying to clear out some amp racks. I have a Bi-Amp brand model SX35 stereo TRI-amp crossover that I can sell ya (I have a Rane brand still for my main PA)

Depending on your crossover points, you might be able to use the mid/hi outputs for your Klipschs and the lo outs for a separate sub system. THis unit is probably from the 80's, but I have had it reworked so all the knobs are clean and it is electronically fit. Fits one single rack space and looks practically new. Hasn't been in a bar in a decade!

Michael

colterphoto1@aol.com

Well, I'm happy with how they sound, just want to put both my amps to use. If I go with an active crossover, I can still cross it at the same point they are crossed at stock, right? Should sound the same, just easier for the amp to give them what they want.

Oh, and a sub isn't an issue. My Yamaha processor has a sub-out which goes to a Crown CE2000 powering a Resonant Engineering XXX 15. :)

STV----No! It shouldn't sound the same even if you use the same crossover points. You've disregarded the possibility there's an EQ circuit in the passive. This circuit extends the high-frequency response of the treble driver by compensating for the compression driver's power response roll-off on axis given the CD-like horn of the Epic series speakers.

Now I may be wrong about this EQ circuit but from what I've read I think it uses one. This must be dealt with if you bi-amp, it cannot be ignored.

TB, there may be a mini -eq 'bump' to compensate for the slight effect of the constant-directivity horn, but these are usually minimal. Couldn't he still bi-amp, then route the HF output through the HF portion of the speaker crossover to gain the effectiveness of this eq circuit, if it is a major difference. Of course, he will be able to adjust for the different efficiency of the LF vs HF components with the Biamp electronic crossover itself. Every one I've ever seen has totally adjustable crossover points, input gain, and output volume for each xover frequency. I don't think the CD compensation would really be that big a deal, considering the clarity that would be achived here.

unless he buys and active electonric crossover with some RTA and EQ functions he will not be able to match a passive that includes equalization. he should first establish exactly what is in his existing crossover, if it indeed has equalization then he needs to buy an appropriate active crossover with features to mimic the existing passive. first things first, tony

If his main goal is to have the amps work less, couldn't he just buy a crossover, and cross the points with a little cushion?

If his crossover point in the speaker is 2000 hz, couldn't he have an active crossover send everything above 1500 to one amp, and have this amp go to the HF section of the speaker. Then send all HZ below 2500 hz to the other amp. Wouldn't this be invisible to the passive crossovers in the speaker. They're both getting everything they're expecting, just a little more. Seems the only issue here woudl be that the amps are eaching working a little harder than perfect (each getting 500hz more than they ideally would, but still taking a huge amount of HZ out of the picture). The only other issue is that one might need to crossovers to do this. Wouldn't this work?