HDTV vs. EDTV

zoocow

I would say it is worth the extra for the true HDTV. With EDTV (480p), you get perfect resolution for DVD's. For HDTV, however, the picture (1080i or 720p) will have to be downscaled to the 480p resolution. It will still look nice but not like true HDTV.

The extra resolution is really nice when the picture is not zoomed in on something (like during sporting events). I have a 540p front projector and it looks nice with HDTV on close shots. On far shots it still looks nice but I am wanting some more resolution. My next projector will definitely be 720p.

Stand 8 feet from two 42" HDTV and EDTV sets, and tell me which one is which.

I think it all comes down to how close you will be watching the screen.

btw, on the web you can get an awesome 42" Panasonic EDTV for 2.2K, which is rated as the best buy for plasma tvs now.

thanks for the advice...

I guess I am that kind of person that will always wonder what I am missing if I don't get the latest technology. So I guess I will look for a HDTV model.

My wife, however, still likes the HDTV widescreen tubes. Even if they are smaller.

• Like 1