which brand of cable

Masterjwu

Speaker wire has been scientifically proven to be a non-factor in 99.9% of cases. Speaker wire serves only to complete a cicuit, much different from interconnects which transmit a signal...

Whoever mentioned the all Hertiage setup with Khorns and Bell center: I am in the process of getting all of this and it is dearly bought, and yes, I want good cables on top of all of it even though there is no money-tree in my back yard. Bettercables.com bluetruth to go with my heritage and Aragon, s'il vous plait...

----------------

On 9/15/2004 8:52:54 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Expensive cables and interconnects are usually a waste of money. The advice to go with plain 12 ga. copper speaker wire is good advice. It is better than 16 ga. due to the impedance dips exhibited by many speakers. As the impedance goes lower, the larger ga. copper speaker wire makes it easier for an amp to supply the needed current.

The one interconnect that benefits the most from better quality is a component video cable. The bandwidth that must be transmitted is measured in megahertz. Hence, up to a point, better cables will give a better picture.

Bill

----------------

LOL!

Hi. In my humble opinion excessive expenditure on cables for more humble systems is a waste of money. Personally, I have Acoustic research interconnects and QED speaker cable. The reason I bought the Acoustic Research cable was because; a. it was cheap ($25), and; b. it had good quality, non corrosive plugs on it. I don't know whether this cable 'sounded' better than others. I have never been able to hear any difference when friends have tried their 'high end' cables in my system.

In relation to speaker cables, I ran standard 12 gauge cable for years until I was persuaded by a friend to upgrade. I bought the QED silver anniversary for around $5 per metre fitted with banana plugs. Frankly, I never heard any difference in sound quality from my former cable. I swapped back several times and had intensive listening sessions. Again, as with the interconnects, I still couldn't hear anything different. My friend though kept saying; 'See! Hear that! See what you've been missing? What a difference!'

Well.... Anyway, I like the banana plugs though. I like moving my stuff around and it's easy to plug and unplug as I wish. I'm not saying good quality interconnects and speaker cables can't make a difference in certain systems. It's just that I think these types of upgrades are very system dependant and is only for someone with better ears than I have.

----------------

On 9/17/2004 5:59:32 PM D-MAN wrote:

Interconnect-wise, I find that copper wire has a "sound" which I find to be "edgy" or somewhat "scratchy". You can actually hear it in A/B tests against pure silver.

I'm sure this won't convince anyone, but that's my observation based on experience.

DM
2.gif

----------------

Yep, once you hear silver you won't go back.

$11,000 for COPPER? Give me a break...

----------------

On 10/1/2004 7:11:31 AM richinlr wrote:

----------------

On 9/17/2004 5:59:32 PM D-MAN wrote:

Interconnect-wise, I find that copper wire has a "sound" which I find to be "edgy" or somewhat "scratchy". You can actually hear it in A/B tests against pure silver.

I'm sure this won't convince anyone, but that's my observation based on experience.

DM
2.gif

----------------

Yep, once you hear silver you won't go back.

$11,000 for COPPER? Give me a break...

----------------

More than $11 per speaker? GIVE ME A BREAK!!6.gif

----------------

On 10/1/2004 12:06:52 AM damonrpayne wrote:

I want good cables on top of all of it even though there is no money-tree in my back yard. Bettercables.com bluetruth to go with my heritage and Aragon, s'il vous plait...

----------------

Good choice. Like I posted, I'm very pleased with mine. One word of advice, when you get to that stage, substantial heating of the bullet plug connections may be necessary to get them on, to avoid forcing them too much. The fit of the bullet plugs adjusts after being connected for a few days, but the initial connection is mildly challenging. Bettercables suggests a "gentle" heating with a hair dryer to ensure that you do not have to use much force or twist them during connection. Just be advised you may need substantial heating in some instances, depending on you connections. Of course, do not heat the ends so drastically that the ends start melting.

Worth it though because tests have shown these plugs to the latest, greatest way of making the connections.

If you have any questions, pm me when you get to that stage.

Carl.

----------------

On 10/1/2004 6:24:06 AM edwinr wrote:

Hi. In my humble opinion excessive expenditure on cables for more humble systems is a waste of money.

----------------

True, becasue the cables could easily add up to more than the system itself! However, ironically, it's the finer cables that will make the most difference in humble systems, as opposed to ultra audiophile systems.