RW-8 Setting Help

Hayjor

I'm getting ready to hook up my new system. RCW-5's in front, RCR-5's for the rear, RC-25 center and the RW-8. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V740, the room is 14X22. Can I get some suggestions on the settings for the knobs on the back of the sub, phase etc.???

Also any suggestions on the settings for the front and rear speakers???

Not to sound snobbish, but I would first read the manual myself to understand exactly what phase, crossover frequency, etc. are. Then if I still had questions I would ask on this forum. If you sincerely are having a problem I'm sure there are tons of people on here that are more than happy to help, but we would at least like you to do your part, which is understanding your equipment, before asking for further advice.

Sorry, I don't want to come off as a ****, but I'm just saying that it's a good idea to read the manuals before asking questions.

Another thing, sorry if you already read it and are having problems. If so what specific problems are you coming into. In order to help we need to know specifics.

The crossover point for the subwoofer will be dictated by the Yamaha receiver which is usually 80Hz, some are adjustable but 80Hz in the standard. Set the phase to 0 degrees, and use the LFE input on the RW-8.

The setup menus in the Yamaha receiver will allow you to choose whether your mains, center and rears are large or small, calculate the distance of each speaker to your primary listening position.

The channel levels can be adjusted initially based on their efficiency so that they all will be playing at the same level. For example if the center is 93db efficient and the mains 95db you want to add +2db to the center so that it plays at the same level as your mains.

This should help at least get you started.

----------------

On 9/14/2004 1:03:14 PM Frzninvt wrote:

The crossover point for the subwoofer will be dictated by the Yamaha receiver which is usually 80Hz, some are adjustable but 80Hz in the standard. Set the phase to 0 degrees, and use the LFE input on the RW-8.

The setup menus in the Yamaha receiver will allow you to choose whether your mains, center and rears are large or small, calculate the distance of each speaker to your primary listening position.

The channel levels can be adjusted initially based on their efficiency so that they all will be playing at the same level. For example if the center is 93db efficient and the mains 95db you want to add +2db to the center so that it plays at the same level as your mains.

This should help at least get you started.

----------------

Yeah, that's kind of like saying, here's a car. Now what's this driving thing you talked about? 9.gif

On your Yamaha you'll need to calibrate with an SPL meter (test tones to begin with) your 5 or 6 channels, set the mains, center and satelites to small, set bass to sub, let the receiver dictate the crossover frequency, then figure out your best phase and lastly calibrate your sub to correlate with the level of your mains (although most of us like it a few dB hot!). There are lots of other settings but they (as well as all of the above) are all a matter of taste.

As for exact details we could write for hours but it just takes a little reading of your manuals. Sorry. These are the main ideas. Let us know if you have more specific questions.2.gif