DVD concert video recommendations?

unimorpheus

Black Sabbath "the last supper". This has great picture and sound. But with talking in between songs. So use the menu to get down to business ofcourse after you heard what they have to say. If you can understand them. It gets boring after you hear it for the hundreth time. I recorded a tune on that dvd to cassette and it turned out great. Also I second what Dave said about the metallica s&m dvd. Amazing if you ask me.

Bad Co. , BLue Oyster Cult, Frampton..

Tell us more Mr. Fish (are ye a bass player?) shades of Chris Squire? Never Mind, I checked yer photo thingy, looks like 6 strings.

Amen to the Black Sabbath Last Supper. It's a reunion show of original four in Birmingham England. Actually I quite enjoyed the interviews. Geezer discussing going from rhythm gtr to bass, Ozzy on everything, Tony I on how he lost tips of two fingers, but the wildest is drummer Bill Ward talking about 'soap boxes of cocaine, I had to be tied to a hospital bed when I used, don't even remember recording 'The Mob Rules' album'. Terrific tales, somewhat sad, but good to see a bunch of old guys who could mop up the floor with most of today's musicians. Oh and the performance and recording are absolutely top notch. TURN IT UP- i recommend '11'.

Michael

----------------

On 12/2/2004 10:44:29 PM Fish wrote:

Negative on the popping sound,this is a very good recording,I listen in DTS.

----------------

Hmmm. I'll have to check it out on someone else's receiver then.

Tried two different disks with the same result.

I too have heard the popping sounds on "HFO" in DTS mode. I can't figure it out! It drives me up the wall. I not sure if it is flaw in the mastering, or if it is something going on, on stage. I quit watching it because of it.

Don't know if your into it or not, but one of the best concert DVD's I have seen and heard is Harry Conick Jr., Only You. Sound is outrageous! I love Big Band, and he is backed by a BIG BAND! Check it out!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Roger Waters In the Flesh is brilliant--audio is perfect, stage is immaculate, performances flawless. Possibly the best I've seen.

Red Hot Chili Peppers Live at Slane Castle is great sound, great fun, and their best songs to date.

Those are my two favorites that I've found so far...

If you like country : Randy Travis Live - It was just a matter of time and Alison Krauss & Union Station Live are both state of the art sound & picture quality ! Also one of my other fave's is Norah Jones Live in New Orleans. And Natalie Cole - Just ask a woman who knows. Others not mentioned yet here are Journey Live 2001, Lilith Fair, James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater, The Concert for New York City , Cheryl Crow - Come on America 2003.

Folks, when posting a (EDIT)'recommendation' kindly take the time to make a few comments about the song list, performance, tech notes or something noteworthy, no matter how brief or lengthy. (EDIT) It need not be a complete review of the work mentioned. This will help other forum members make informed purchase decisions.

"ACDC live rocks!" is a (EDIT) recommendation, but it doesn't give the reader much to go on.

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

On 12/21/2004 7:28:39 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Folks, when posting a 'review' kindly take the time to make a few comments about the song list, performance, tech notes or something noteworthy, no matter how brief or lengthy. This will help other forum members make informed purchase decisions.

"ACDC live rocks!" is not a video review, it is merely a personal statement.

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

Yeah, reviews are helpful but in this case unimorpheus asked for recommendations and suggestions not reviews.

I get the impression they want to know what DVDs people like so they can check them out; reviews and descriptions on Amazon etc.

1.gif

I have edited my previous post to fit the thread's title. I would still think that even a short note about the performance or recording quality as part of a 'recommendation' would be highly welcome by members of the Forum. We trust each other here, a comment from a brother Klipscher means much more to me than Amazon's reviews.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

If Grog hasn't posted about Roxy Music Live in London at Apollo 2001, allow me. He recommended this on another thread. I've always been a big Roxy fan and this was no disappointment. This is the culmination of a reunioin tour, as the band had last played together in 1983, 18 years previous. No chops were lost. The music is pure artistry, the vocal drenched in vibrato and angst. Twin guitars of Spedding and Manzaners wreak havok and McCays's Sax work is soulful as ever. Ever present on a massive drum kit, it's esy to forget Paul Thompson because he so 'right there' on the mark. A couple of new ladies in the band take up Eno's synth work/ electric violin and percussion handsomly. Some of the synth stuff you would swear is Brian Eno in his heyday. Zaj? on bass is just thunderous..

This show highlight many many hits of the career of this seminal band from the 70's. Some acid charged, some ballads, all great tunes. If I were at this show, there would be no song to take an intermission with. Lighting and sound quality are superb. THere is good solid implementation of 5.1 on one song there is Sax/Synth/Gtr solos that seque from one to the other and it moves smoothly from stage left->center->stage right just as effortlessly. The mix places you 'in front of the soundboard' in the words of my esteemed premier viewer DrWho, who to my surprise enjoyed this immensley.

Afterward we tried a new Yes Symphonic DVD that paled by comparison, we just had to shut it off and preserve the good memories of the show previously seen. It was that stunning.

This is destined to become one of my favorite concert DVD's and I have probably 30 already. Go get it! NOW

Thanks again Grog, I'm gonna follow your recommendations a bit closer after this one.

Michael

• Like 1

To build on the Roxy Music experience - the Live at the Apollo is a wonderful DVD in all respects!

And for those who want to see Roxy in the original live glory, may I recommend to videos from two different collections of DVDs that compliment each other and offer archival live footage of many additional bands which are not available elsewhere!

The Roxy Music Special Edition EP ( DVD7000X NTSC www.classicpictures.co.uk) is part of an interesting catalog of videos. The audio is very well doen considering the archival sources they are working with. They mix it hot (both DTS & Dolby) and do as excellent job as can be done. And much of it is superb (ESPECIALLY Big Country!). On the Roxy Music DVD you get 3 songs:
Virginia Plain
Do the Strand
All I Want Is You
all from Musikladen - the German Beat Club if you will.
~70 minutes total, of which 11 minutes is Roxy Music

You also get a "Jukebox of at least 10 additional videos which serve as ticklers to buy their respective DVDs! And these range from Leon Russel, Steve Marriot, Deep Purple, Alex Korner, Procol Harum, Jack Bruce, Edgar Winter, Big Country, Steve Marley & Cockney Rebel, and Rick Wakefield, and more

The other Roxy Music DVD is one that features 1/2 Roxy & 1/2 T Rex! (~50 minutes total)
The Best of Musicladen:Roxy Music & T-Rex (Pioneer PA11855
www.pioneer-ent.com )-

This has the same Musicladen Roxy videos (albeit with audio that is not as hot - but they also feature video of the leads ins to the performances which the above does not), and this also includesthe British Beat Club performances of

Do the Strand,
Editions of You
In Every Dream Home A Heartache

It is also worth it to check out the original techniques (Moog, reel to reel effects, and the Acoustic

The TRex segment features:

Jeepster
Life's a Gas
Ride a White Swan
Jewel
20th Century Boy (!!!)

Ah, TRex! How do you describe Marc Bolin!? If you are not familiar with the original Glam band (NO! It was NOT Bowie! In fact you can make a great argument for him being a talented Marc Bolin clone!) you NEED to check these folks out! It is not what you have pictured in your mind! But they started the trend and provided some excellent music in the process!
The performances are straight up with only one being truly 'psychodelisized'!! (no pun intended!)
These videos are well worth it if you want to see the real bands.

Both videos compliment each other, and hence why I have both.

I would also encourage folks to check out the other titles in the series, as they have done an excellent job of digging them up. My only complaint is that they were not longer!

• Like 1

Another indispensable DVD for rock is:

Rockpalast Live: Little Feat

(Pioneer PA-10507D NTSC www.pioneer-ent.com) Run time 74 minutes with repeat of the show with Bill Payne and Paul Barerre providing commentary over it).

It features Little Feat in 1977 during the same period that produced the Waiting for Columbus tour de force live recording on album & CD. And Lowell George is right there as well!

I will let you read all of the details from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6305841446/102-8886131-2267352?v=glance&n=130&n=511444&s=dvd&v=glance

And this title is available quite a few places, despite its not being currently available from Amazon. But that may indicate that future supplies may become scare...so, heads up!

Suffice it to say, it is the ONLY archival footage available of the band live. And it comes from the first Rockpalast show ever done - sort of Germany's SoundStage in the 70's and 80's.

And despite the Amazon review which faults perfect lighting, camera technique, etc., the audio is quite good. And you will see that the stage is small! Little room for them to spread out or for the camera men to climb over things!

All things considered, as I am a Little Feat nut, this is truly a must have for anyone interested in period rock. It amazes me how many folks have no idea who this band is, nor that they are still sounding incredible! After all, this was the band that Bonnie Raitt described, upon their breaking up after Lowell George's death, that she would miss "more than ice cream!" Well put!

So, in light of this, and having had the opportunity to catch them several times during the 70's, the last time being at Vanderbilt's field house with General Public (a great show!!!) on the Waiting for Columbus Tour, this video is well worth it.

Likewise it is truly fortunate to be able to see them about 5 times in the last 7 years in Fort Worth (most notably at the Caravan of Dreams - one of the best live clubs I ever had an opportunity to visit! - where you could see Little Feat, Stanley Clarke, Craig Chaquico as if they were literally in your living room!) as Bill Payne is from down the road in Waco, and like Lyle Lovett, coming to FW is a trip home.

-----------------------------------------------

Here I will throw in a general rant about all music videos in general and also about sports video coverage as it relates as well (with only a few notable exceptions!!)

Personally, for any video I prefer a simple all inclusive shot that lets me see all of the musicians playing - I mean their fingerings and techniques! But that is a rarity, if not an impossibility in the last 40 years of creative and psycho - delic camera work - more often then not focusing on the wrong musician for any given solo. ...Much like with football coverage - I would MUCH rather see a full field view where I can see the respective defensive backfields, their positioning and adapting for each situation, with perhaps frame in frame closeups for featured close-in coverage of the running backs' belly button, the quarterbacks ear, or the cheerleader without panties (OK, OK, we can make an exception for the last situation!) - but all the camera man and editor do is try to follow the 3 square feet surrounding the ball! And with music videos, the norm is to get some 'cool' closeup upside down view of the inside of the bass drum or a closeup of (fill in the blanks) groin - but seldom do you ever see the actual playing techniques - and forget ever seeing a bass player, period! That part is simply piped in later, if at all judging from the recordings!

And don't you love how, in covering golf, the cameras focus in on the ball as it flies through the air, with no inkling of where it is going - all you see is a white spot 2 pixels in diameter and 2 feet of sky around it??? Now what is that all about? But then, who is crazy enough to watch golf on TV!? It is bad enough to play the silly game that Twain aptly described as a wonderful way to ruin a perfectly good walk![:P]

Well Roxy Music Live at the Apollo is my favorite DVD.

Here is another great Roxy Music live performance from 1982.

While it does not have the perfection in performance of the Apollo DVD

it does offer the raw quality of a great band and is one of my top DVD

recommendations.

The High Road DVD is a masterpiece which contains many of the same songs we heard in the Apollo performace.

Roxy Music - The High Road

Released on DVD - December 14, 2004

Recorded Live in Frejus France on 27th August 1982.

Running time: 73Min.

# 1. The Main Thing

# 2. Out Of The Blue

# 3. Both Ends Burning

# 4. A Song For Europe

# 5. Can't Let Go

# 6. While My Heart Is Still Beating

# 7. Avalon

# 8. My Only Love

# 9. Dance Away

# 10. Love Is The Drug

# 11. Like A Hurricane

# 12. Editions Of You

# 13. Do The Strand

# 14. Jealous Guy

Bryan Ferry...........Vocals

Phil Manzaner.......Guitar

Andy MacKay .......Saxophone and Oboe

Neil Hubbard........Guitar

Andy Newmark.....Drums

Alan Spenner.........Bass Guitar

Jimmy Maelen.......Percussion

Guy Fletcher..........Keyboards

Fonzi Thornton......Backing Vocals

Michelle Cobbs.....Backing Vocals

Tawatha Agee........Backing Vocals

If you love Roxy Music this High Road is a must have DVD as well.

Side Note: I also have the Roxy Music EP/DVD.

There are only three songs on the EP/DVD by Roxy Music and the rest of

the DVD includes other video's from the past such as Rick Wakeman and

Leon Russell. Good DVD but not Roxy's best offering.

Greg

If Grog hasn't posted about Roxy Music Live

in London at Apollo 2001, allow me. He recommended this on another

thread. I've always been a big Roxy fan and this was no disappointment.

This is the culmination of a reunioin tour, as the band had last played

together in 1983, 18 years previous. No chops were lost. The music is

pure artistry, the vocal drenched in vibrato and angst. Twin guitars of

Spedding and Manzaners wreak havok and McCays's Sax work is soulful as

ever. Ever present on a massive drum kit, it's esy to forget Paul

Thompson because he so 'right there' on the mark. A couple of new

ladies in the band take up Eno's synth work/ electric violin and

percussion handsomly. Some of the synth stuff you would swear is Brian

Eno in his heyday. Zaj? on bass is just thunderous..

This show

highlight many many hits of the career of this seminal band from the

70's. Some acid charged, some ballads, all great tunes. If I were at

this show, there would be no song to take an intermission with.

Lighting and sound quality are superb. THere is good solid

implementation of 5.1 on one song there is Sax/Synth/Gtr solos that

seque from one to the other and it moves smoothly from stage

left->center->stage right just as effortlessly. The mix places

you 'in front of the soundboard' in the words of my esteemed premier

viewer DrWho, who to my surprise enjoyed this immensley.

Afterward

we tried a new Yes Symphonic DVD that paled by comparison, we just had

to shut it off and preserve the good memories of the show previously

seen. It was that stunning.

This is destined to become one of my favorite concert DVD's and I have probably 30 already. Go get it! NOW

Thanks again Grog, I'm gonna follow your recommendations a bit closer after this one.

Michael

post-17133-13819274347312_thumb.jpg

This same night (as Roxy experience) I took DrWho to local BestBuys, abused one of their audio salesmen at the Klipsch display then at their 'ahem' boutique Magnolia section. I'll let Who give ya the details, but I was so smooth the guy didin't even know how badly he was being dissed.

Aim was to bring home $100 worth of DVD's for the weekend. Shopping included

Roxy Music live at Apollo

Blue Man Group, DVD audio

Dream Theatre at Budokahn

Yes SYmphonic

Zappa in NYC

Roxy review is above, Blue Man Group, after realizing that it was audio only was a pleasant surprise. Nice mix, very cool instruments, very relaxing given the busyness of the tunes. I enjoyed it so much I took a little nap, but was tired of climbing around the house all day. A

Yes Symphonic- huge disappointment. THe high school band in background, horrible camera work (make sure to get that hottie each time she clangs the cymbals) and lackluster performance (especially new tunes) make this almost unwatchable. And I'm a huge Yes fan, having almost their entire collection on both vinyl and CD and having seen every tour since Relayer. Without RIck, it's just not yes. And Steve Howe and Alan White are getting really old. Really. C-

I sent the Dream Theatre home with DrWho. It was unwatchable. The musicians are top notch, great chops, but that vocalist is horrific and the music just seems devoid of any reason or soul to me. I like high vocals (see Yes above), but for all the lyrics this guy spews out, it's just meaninless rock gymnastics. D

Zappa in NYC, watched a little, too much talking and idiotic stage presence. C-

So really glad I got the A+++ Roxy Music, at least there was a couple of good ones in the bunch. I'll check in here next time.

Michael