turning my 4.1s into 5.1s?

sane1

I recently ordered a system with the sb live Platinum 5.1 card and Klipsch Promedia 4.1 speakers. I didn't even hear the sound of the 4.1s, yet, but from what I read they supposedly sound fantastic and hopefully better then Cambridge's DTT2500s 5.1 speakers (wich i chose over). My question is if I will be able to buy a center piece for it and basically turn it into a Promedia 5.1 speaker system (just without the countrol tower thingy).

Nope, to get something like the 5.1's, probably your best and easiest bet would be to sell your 4.1's for as high as possible and then get the real 5.1's. The main differences between the two are a sub with larger drivers, more overall power, the centre channel, and of course the control tower. The 4.1's amp wasn't designed to power another speaker, so no way to do that. The OTHER possibility would be to order the 2.1's to go with the 4.1's, and those would act as your centre channel, but then you go through the whole thing of having to control the volume on two pairs of speakers, so in the end, the best thing to do is go for the actual 5.1's

Actually, yes you can Sane1, let me try to explain..

I currently own the Sound Blaster Platinum Live and the Promedias 4.1, I used to have the Altec Lansings ACS48, altought a great set , they are no comparison to the Pros, anyway, I also wanted to get 5.1 sound out of what I got, and after doing some research I found the solution was right in SBLP5.1.

First, you will need another set of speakers like the Pros 2.1 or any other GOOD 2.1 set,if you want to match your Pros 4.1 I sugest you get the Pro's 2.1 but the ACS48 like the ones that I have do a wonderfull job as centers as well (under $100).

Second, Plug your 4.1 to the SBPL5.1 "main" and "rear" then plug you 2.1's(your choice) to the "center/sub" out (quick note here: the center/sub out is also a digital out, it has a double duty assignment, dont let that confuse you, you will later configure the card to output your choice of sound)

Third,once all the speakers are installed turn on your PC and open the SBLP "surround mixer" and choose "5.1", you can also run a "sound test" there, if you did everything righ you'll hear the "front left, center, front right, rear left, rear right, voice coming out fron their perspective speakers.

So up to here you are set.

This is 5.1 ANALOG sound and belive me , it sound great,and it is perfect for games, MP3's and CD music.

Now for the last part. If you want to see DVD's and hear them in TRUE 5.1 sound You will need to get WinDVD and apply the 5.1 patch to it ( available for download at windvd site )They offer a free version for download there too, make sure to apply the 5.1 patch tho.

With this you'll hear your DVD's in perfect 5.1 sound, altought analog but if you ask me, just as good as Digital. The voice of the character will come out from the center speakers and your surround sounds will cover you in a 360 degree atmosphere, just awesome.

One more note, it is actually nice to be able to adjust t he volume of the center speakers separately, sometimes the surround seems overwhelming but, you can always adjust the sound in all speakers to your preference... Well I hope this helps you, good luck!!

Thanks a lot viv and bajachepe. Although there is a good chance I'll buy an extra 2.1 speaker system (just give me time to save up money), what I'm really concerned with is Cambridge's DTT2500s 5.1 feature. Just because it has it and dolby digital, the DTT2500s still aren't better the Klipsch 4.1s, right?