Bad K33E, Lets Fix It

BEC

----------------

On 9/24/2004 3:45:41 PM BEC wrote:

As far as taking orders go, I will have to first convince myself that I can do them right. That will require the box to test them with to get done and then a bunch of testing.

Bob Crites
----------------

Bob, is that my old friend from'75 that you resurrected? If so, would it be useful(or interesting) to test its assumed identical '75 mate and compare.

Regards,

Terry

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Terry, you have in fact seen that very woofer before. I was not going to mention where that particular doner corpse came from or how it met its untimely demise. I can say that everyone should be aware that there is an amount of power which can be applied to a Cornwall sufficient to launch its woofer voice coil so far out of the magnet that it may forget its way back home and crash.

I believe its first test comparison should be with a new K-33E. I hope to see it perform favourably up against a new one.

Bob

Janne,

Klipsch does not make the K-33E. Eminence builds them for Klipsch. I did talk to Klipsch and to Eminence about the glue. What Eminence uses is likely not a practical kind of glue for someone doing just a few woofers. Eminence thought the Loctite 380 would be good. The Klipsch recommendation was to use superglue.

Bob

Bob,

What I've always wondered about this deal is how to keep the voice coil centered in the magnet gap while gluing down the parts. Seems like it would be all too easy to get it a little off and end up with it scraping when the thing is done. Is that your comment about the shim was about? Some kind of shim/spacer around the coil, pull it out after it's done?

Tom,

Sorry, I guess I sort of passed right by the shim without really explaining that one. Yes, the shim is a piece of paper (in the case of the ones I have) that fits inside the voice coil and really takes up all the space between the coil and the pole piece. For the K-33E, that space is .010 inch. The shim or voice coil gage is left in place all the way through the process of putting the parts together and removed after the glue has set. After it is removed, the dust cap can be glued on.

Bob

Bob,

Superglue and Loctite are different formulations fo the same technology -- they are both CA (cyanoacrylate). A lot of those adhesives are used by guitar builders now, especially to glue in inlays and to do repairwork on small cracks.

Marvel

ps I'll test the Mac web browser for you withing the next couple of days.

Marvel,

I know they are both CA. The Loctite 380 is a "toughened" compound that will flex more before breaking. I hope to find a close type to use that is less expensive and (I hope) without some of the bad things that the Loctite 380 does. One of those is to leave a white powder deposit on nearby surfaces when it cures. Makes a dust cap look ugly.

Bob

Bob,

Nice job.

I have a question.

Just looking at the picture how can you tell the proper polarity. You can tell that the plus is the tab with the red paint. When looking at it like your picture is it marked somehow.

I always wondered if you buy used speakers and you have a tweaker who didn't pay attention and just stuck the wires back and there is no mark how do you really know whats what.

Thanks,

Danny

Guess I didn't look close enough. Yeah, the white powder looks a bit funky on there. That's pretty wierd. Even though you aren't buying gallons of the stuff maybe they have a support line you could call and ask about it.

Cheaper would be nice too!

It's still very nice work.

Marvel

Danny,

That is the nice thing about a kit made by the same ones that originally built the woofer. The polarity just works out right. The red mark on the woofer terminals is on the left and the positive side of the voice coil is also on the left. That lets the tensil (sp) leads not have to cross when coming out the the terminals.

Marvel,

I did talk to Loctite. They liked the use of the 380 product. They don't seem to understand what the problem would be with a white deposit on nearby surfaces.They think it will brush off after it is completely dry. I don't think that is the case for the paper the dust cap is made of. I think the white deposit is all the way through the paper. I do think that in use it might go away from movement. I will crank it up when I get my test box built and see about that.

Bob Crites

Here I am back on the Windows PC. Glad to know the other worked. The browser was Safari, running on OSX, on a Powerbook.

The first time, the browser took the less than / greater than symbols and replaced them with square brackets < >. Don't know where that came from. I just changed them again and it worked.

Cheers,

Marvel