when is a real company going to me a satellite radio receiver?

First off XM does not even make a home unit, and SIRIUS has 3 to choose from. One of which can not be purchased anywhere so I dont even know why it was invented, The other is a complete ugly piece of Kenwood **** and the third is 2 freaking GRAND! for not much more then you get with the other two - Give me a break! All 3 units are silver only so I guess they didnt factor in matching with 95% of the home theaters in the world. Oh well. I just want a receiver that has digital out and none of hte portible units have it.

Well, Im glad to see everyone here interested in cutting edge music technology....

WTF guys, you have like $10k systems and you dont care about sat radio? What is this, the house of 8-tracks and record albums you ****ing dinosaurs! Just remember your klipschies wont be allowed in your nursing homes.

sat receivers

xm radio, sirius radio. you knwo the trendy new things that people are putting in thier cars. they make portable units too, but they all suck. They also make a few componet HT units like these

these are the HT units

here are the portable units

and here are the ulgy as sin car units

XM radio has even less selection and more of the ulgy flashy car stuff. Why is car audio so ugly?

----------------

On 9/27/2004 3:50:32 AM 007 wrote:

Well, I’m glad to see everyone here interested in cutting edge music technology....

WTF guys, you have like $10k systems and you don’t care about sat radio? What is this, the house of 8-tracks and record albums you ****ing dinosaurs! Just remember your klipschies wont be allowed in your nursing homes.

----------------

You have never heard a high end turntable. cd,shcd,dvd,hdcd, sirus,virus,xm,WTF? The LP kills them all in sonic quality, and the media can be had from .99 cents.2.gif

----------------

On 9/27/2004 3:50:32 AM 007 wrote:

Well, Im glad to see everyone here interested in cutting edge music technology....

WTF guys, you have like $10k systems and you dont care about sat radio? What is this, the house of 8-tracks and record albums you ****ing dinosaurs! Just remember your klipschies wont be allowed in your nursing homes.

----------------

You want a response? Okay. Simply put: You are correct! I have all that money (and more) invested in my systems, yet satellite radio does not interest me. I do not see how that relates to anyone's age, as you suggest.

At home: I have access to virtually any medium from DVD-A & SACD to yes, even vinyl records (no 8-tracks here). I also have broadband (Web-based music resources such as MP3's) and digital Hi-Def Cable that also offers numerous music channels. Living in Detroit, we are blessed with a large assortment of local AM & FM commercial Radio Stations broadcast both from Detroit and Windsor, Canada. Why on earth then would I want to pay another fee to receive even more content??

On the road: I have a 6 CD changer in my dash which I play my own compilation CD's burned from my vast collection. And again, there is an endless array of commercial radio stations. Hence, no interest to afix a fee to my very short, 6-minute commute to the office.

The corporation I work for is one of the top 5 largest automotive industry suppliers in the world. One of the things we design and build is satellite radio-capable, in-dash units (we do not make home electronics). Yet, I know of no one in our office who subscribes to either XM or Sirius and for the same reasons I mentioned above. Most of the engineers and designers I work with are around YOUR AGE (24) or in their early-to-mid 30s. If that is a "DINOSAUR" to you, then you sir, have a very sad outlook on life. I suppose aging is not on your agenda? Enough age bigotry! If this "GRANDPA" isn't Hi-Tech enough for you "LADDY" that's your problem! 7.gif I don't have a problem with the concept of Sat-radio. It is probably quite useful to those who want it. The only problem I have is with your inferences.

BTW: This Delphi unit DOES have a headphone mini-jack that also serves as a line-out. There may be others.

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=247 (I do not work for Delphi)

More: http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=250 I hope this helps you.

Greetings:

I understand where 007 is coming from. On regular FM, I have driven from one side of my City to the other and only heard commercials. Or last year 1 FM station started playing Christmas music 24/7 beginning I believe at the end of October.

Dish offers the Sirius. You find the type of music you want and it's commercial free. Kind of like what we were led to believe about cable TV - now try to find much past 3 A.M. that isn't paid programming.

Satellite radio will end fumbling looking for a station. But the way it's set up now is not user friendly if you wish to move from your car to your office to your home system.

I agree most other mediums sound better. But for those that want to listen to a constant, without getting up and changing CDs or LPs - more background music - it's a nice alternative.

dodger

EDIT: As Picky and I posted at about the same time, I do agree with him. We have our home phone, cell phone, Dish or cable fees every month. Why a fee for continuous radio.

There is hardly a place that we can go for SILENCE. And as Picky notes that I didn't comment on - but it is worth a comment - when you are in a home, the number of things lost, damged or stolen is quite high. From experience with family members I know that we have to discuss what CAN be kept in a room.

It is not an age thing. Though you may wish or think it so. I have heard of people in their 20's deciding that they don't want to pay for what is not acceptable to them ALL the time. So I know that it may not be for everybody. It is newer and there are 2 main companies - how many down the road?

A free trial was offered over Labor Day weekend. I didn't even listen.

I have q-pads in my doors, the roof, the bak wall of my truck. There has to be times of silence. Yes, I need music, but there are times I want silence. I believe that I have one of the quietest Toyota pickups, I can hear sirens - I know the frequencies and allowed for those. END EDIT

Ahhh...

both XMRADIO and SIRIUS have home based systems....

They have power supply, Antenna, and a MINI headphone jack output....

Hook it all up then connect to receiver and power up....not a big deal....

I have the XM version...

The thing is...the XM receiver is portable so you can carry it to your vehicle so you are only paying for one subscription....

I am confused as to what you are complaining about......

007: Okay. Thanks. I guess I got my feathers ruffled a bit. No problem here. I hope you find what you are looking for. It's interesting that you said you feel like a dino at 25. I'm going to be 53 in a month and I feel like I'm just getting started! 2.gif With all of the technology around for us to embrace, it's certainly a great time to be alive!

why don't you just go with some internet radio stations instead...plug your pc into your HT and all that.

checkout launchcast.yahoo.com (i think that's the address)...it's a cool radio station where you get to rate the music. I don't have any ads, but i think that's cuz i have sbcglobal internet access so they give me some special launchcast account or something. anyways, the sound quality is decent and it's nonstop music and you get to choose music and it helps pick music based on how u rate songs (which helps to broaden your tastes a lot).

Because that will cost about he same amount of money. My PC is a bit on the loud side. I have consdiering many cooling methods. And at a minium, its gonna be 250 bucks to water cool my system. At a max, i can get a silent case with no fans no noise for 1500 bucks from zalman! Many i should just invest in water cooling since i dislike all the sat radio options. Teh other thing about sat radio is that the quality is much better then internet radio

picky, sorry for pissing you off, but it was designed to. I wanted some answers for crying out loud!!! I'm a baby when people dont answer me, what can I say, lol

ps: your HT set up is awesome!

007: Thanks for the good words our system. If you visited our web site, it is WAY outdated. I will be finishing up work on our theater in the next 30 days. Here is the most recent picture of the place. It's a composite of several photos crudely sewn together. This is not shown on our web site yet. Once the room is complete, my next job will be to take new photos and update our site. Sorry about hi-jacking your thread, but you sounded a bit interested in our system. Take care!

paroramic1.jpg

Reverse View:

view two.jpg

post-10177-1381925801887_thumb.jpg

007: The wife and I have estimated between $30K and $35K, which includes the equipment, furnishings, high-tech lighting and all of the building and sound-proofing materials for the theater, 3/4 bath and dual office, part of which is shown below. The price does not include our office computer equipment.

You may be able to pick out our Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra system in this photo:

office-composite.jpgpost-10177-1381925801931_thumb.jpg