2A3 SET amp and Klipsch - Sweet !

Wardsweb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/27/2004 9:36:18 PM Wardsweb wrote:

Not only do the speakers sound great with a 2A3 SET amp but they make a nice display pedestal too.
2.gif

2A3_Klipsch.jpg"
----------------

I know you're correct. I don't have my SET 2A3 Moondogs on top of my Khorns, but the combination does sound oh so wonderful!

I'll spare you folks from droolling by not posting photos.

Klipsch out.3.gif

I've read where the 2a's were PWK's favorite tube but I have yet to hear them but if anyone wants to bring a pair over i would let them : )

The 2a3's look great on top of the klipsch but doesn't all that vibration wreak havoc with your tubes?

Looks beautiful!

Seti

----------------

On 9/27/2004 10:39:08 PM DeanG wrote:

To each his own Rick -- as long as I don't have to hear how 3.5 watts puts cracks the drywall.
:)

----------------

Trust me, no one will ever crack plaster with this setup. We're not talking a Pioneer SX-1250 pushing a pair of JBL L300's. Just a nice warm tone for normal listening. Like savoring a good glass of wine or single malt scotch neat.

----------------

On 9/27/2004 9:36:18 PM Wardsweb wrote:

Not only do the speakers sound great with a 2A3 SET amp but they make a nice display pedestal too.
2.gif

"<a
http://wardsweb.org/misc/2A3_Klipsch.jpg">

----------------

Nice bottleheads, Have the CS upgrade in them? How about the TJ meshplates?

----------------

On 9/28/2004 12:57:36 PM radiob wrote:

----------------

On 9/27/2004 10:39:38 PM mike stehr wrote:

Anyone have some Sovtek 2A3's they may wanna part with?

----------------

I have a pairIll part with, however the TJ meshplates or NOS blackplates sound waaaay better.

*I need a 2.5 volt 2A3 that can take 360 volts on the anode, biased at 68 mils.

I'm using TJ 2.5 volt solid plate 300B's, never heard the mesh-plate 2A3.

The amp is set-up at that voltage and bias for the TJ psuedo 300B, and they sound great. Unfortunately, one of them is dying.

Yeah, the old mono blackplates do sound very nice, but they will get wanked at those plate voltages in a hurry.

To be honest, if I had a pair of NOS mono blackplate RCA's, I'd sell them. That's a easy 300 bucks.....

I dunno, I'm kinda in a sh*tty situation, I have a amp with 2.5 volt filament transformers, and too much plate voltage for a 2A3.

That's why I wanted to try the Sovtek 2A3. From they data, they should be able to handle the extra voltage and current.

Who knows......

----------------

On 9/28/2004 2:18:50 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Wardsweb,

Yes, the 2A3's do sound sweet. Is this a Bottlehead amp? Not Paramours, though, right?

----------------

Yes, these are indeed Bottlehead Paramour 2A3. While close to the kit build they are modified and a whole lot of attention to detail. You can see the entire build on my web site: Wardsweb's Paramour Construction Site

By the way, these are not my speakers, but a friend of mine who I was expecting to chime in here about his system.

Mike:

360VDC is not so bad, really. The 'true' voltage is taken between anode and cathode, which in this case is likely to put you more in the range of 320VDC + or - a bit. That's a little high for vintage tubes, but most current production examples can handle that easily. If you still want to lower your plate voltage to the spec of 250 for a single-ended amp, use Ohm's law and drop the voltage as needed. I don't know what kind of filter you've got -- choke or cap input to filter, but if it's a capacitor, lower it a couple of uf to start out. You'll be surprised at the reactance and the subsequent result on B+. Double check your bias, though....

You should be able to work this out!

Erik