Adcom and Klipsch

Osinoff

I own an Advent GTP506 preamp, Advent GFA 5400 amp, Velodyne CHT 8

sub and Klipsch Ref 3 speakers for two channel music only. The sound is very powerful, almost overwhelming bass. I set the controls low and leave the bass from the preamp at o but its harsh

and very bassy. Any suggestions on how to set this up to bring out

the highs and make the bass smoother. I also have a Denon 3803 seven channel amp sitting in my attick since I felt seperates were

better then one unit seven channel for music. Any advice!!!

Many on this forum feel adcom is bright. I'm not in that camp, but the problem could be your preamp. Adcom preamps are not good (except maybe the GFP 750). Their tuner preamps and surrround preamps are not good at all. I've had a couple, and didn't like either. I do like their amps though. Try hooking your cd player (if it has a volume control) to the amp directly, taking the pre out of the chain. If you like the sound, you know where the problem is, if you still don't like the sound, you just don't like adcom and it means a trip to the store. I doubt the denon will solve the problem. It may be warmer, but not better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add, the Adcom I have used with my Khorns and previous Hersey's(ex has them)in the past are the GFA585LE(sweet piece), GFA545II, GFA535, GCD750, GCD500, GTP500II, ACE-515 Enhancer, ACE3?(3 pair speaker selector box).

I had no issues with brightness, I thought it was bang for the buck at the time, early 90's(heard also),and plus North American made, can't honestly say much for the new stuff mind you, never really heard it or checked it out...10.gif

I don't think you can blanketly say its wrong for klipsh if others like the sound. The best thing Ominoff could do is listen to them side by side, and pick the one he likes best. Or, at least listen to the 2 amps separately. You can really only say its wrong for some ears. Everyone will have there own idea of what sounds right. Bright is good, too bright is not. Warm does not automaticly equate an amp to good status. I certainly agree that most of the opinions on this board feel its a little on the bright side. But I think a lot of it depends on what you prefer. Those that love live music may prefer a brighter sound.

If Adcom is the wrong stuff for Klipsch why did PWK use it with his Heritage..nes pa...10.gif

I saw pics posted here by members of the original trek to Hope(01)and what was powering a pair of Khorns...ADCOM... with Monster Cable...go figure, North American made all around...don't think PWK was mistaken...10.gif

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 11/20/2004 10:48:41 PM boomer9911 wrote:

cheers Hangman, thats why it's a forum, add your piece of mind and welcome to the Klipsch forum, a great collection of people here with a wealth of knowledge...
10.gif

----------------

Thanks nice forum will learn much here

Re-read his post. I don't think he's describing "bright" the way we think of it. He says his bass is overwhelming and harsh. He WANTS more highs which to me means it's not bright enough! I know nothing about his equipment but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents anyway.12.gif

Reminds me of a game we played in grade school where you'd whisper something to the person next to you then he or she would whisper it to the person next to them, etc, etc. By the time it got to the last person, what they said was entirely different then when it started.

brightness from my understanding is to much top end, and not enough bottom end usually...odd, but I re-read what was asked and am curious in all honesty, does it ring\hurt your ears, serious, I know a guy who had RF7's, hurt his ears to listen to. I showed him a pair of Monitor Audio GR60's(nice speakers), and happy as could be... 2.gif

KLIPSCH...not everyones cookie, even stated as love em or hate em, Klipsch takes no hostages....10.gif

As I stated earlier EQ...10.gif