Midrange attentuation

dhsettim

Hi Ya All, when I sit in my usual listening position my ears are about 31 inches above the floor and this seems to be below the axis for the squawker horn (about 14 feet away)as the midrange level seems to drop. Several have commented that the bass improves when you sit down tho' I think it's the midrange decreasing. The options seem to me to either tilt the squawker cabinet to point at the listening position, or to decrease the squawker attentuation. I am using an updated Type A filter with premium parts (not the ALK at the moment) with the Universal #3619 autoformer set on the 4 & 0 taps as per the schematic that has been published here. What would be the correct taps for the next step in reducing the attenuation?

As an aside I put the woofer inductor back in and it has cleaned up the upper bass--or so I think.

thanks all, tim

Tim,

You can move the tap to lower the squawker level if you don't go too far. Try connecting the squawker between tap 2 and 5. That will drop it by 1 dB which will not change the impedance reflected back very much. 0-3 and x-4 setting are possible too but you should connect a swamping resistor from 5 to 0 if you go that far. If you try one of these settings and like it, I can calculte the resistor value to use to make it "correct".

Al K.

Hey Al, looking at your site I think the next increase taps would be 5 & 1 then 5 & X, but I don't know about the swamping resister needed. Am I on the right track? And once again thanks for your generosity with all ya info here and on ya Alkeng site.

regards

tim

This suggestion may ruffle a few feathers, but consider the use of different wires for the drivers - from the crossover to the mid-ranges, for instance...

I have found that a suprizing amount of frequency control is available simply from a foot or so of different wire types (brands, diameters and winding styles).

You can really fine-tune things, inspite of what others may say, it's perfectly true and very noticable.

Cheap and effective.

DM2.gif

D-Man, yes you are correct. I have recently put in some home made wire from Vampire's CCC stuff from crossover to the squawker and the Beyma tweeter and its alot more lively. Thanks for the idea. I still want to try angling the top box with the squawker to point it at the sitting position. Might end up by being too much but hey, ya gotta try. regards

tim