Let's Build a Driver Test Box

BEC

OK, no really original thinking here. Just want something easy to to use for testing drivers after a rebuild and as a side point, want it to sound good. Criteria would be that drivers are easy to install and give a good listen. That means that a K-33E should install from the front and that the K-55 and K-77 are also easy to get to.

I am not much of a carpenter, so the cabinet comes from a cabinet shop. A CNC router did most of it.

Pictures to follow.

Bob Crites

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob - Great looking box and idea.

Also, if this is a test box and will be used over several times you may want to consider inserting female threads in the box so you can reassemble often without worrying about the wood becoming chewed up and gettin a loose motherboard.

----------------

On 10/1/2004 8:14:46 PM hwatkins wrote:

Bob - Great looking box and idea.

Also, if this is a test box and will be used over several times you may want to consider inserting female threads in the box so you can reassemble often without worrying about the wood becoming chewed up and gettin a loose motherboard.

----------------

I am going to do that. I have ordered some drive in inserts that have not arrived yet. I just used #8 screws to put it together the first time. I will drill all the holes out for the inserts when I get them. Also, I want to work out a front clamp arrangement for holding in the woofer. Still trying to work that one out mentally.

Bob

" Also, I want to work out a front clamp arrangement for holding in the woofer.  Still trying to work that one out mentally."

What I've seen done is using metal electrical conduit holders from Home Depot to hold woofers into Infinite Baffles and such. It is supposed to work very well but I've never tried it.

Shawn

For someone who says they aren't very good at cabinet making, you've excelled yourself in your 'outsourcing', BEC.

In fact you may receive a knock on the door from a Klipsch representative - they may want to go commercial on this!

Well done. Thanks for the great pictures.