Let's Build a Driver Test Box

BEC

Nail them to the floor? Isn't that a little overkill?

I have a question. This was designed to test speakers while they are being rebuilt, so the 400 hz crossover was used to match the K Horn.

I'm sure that this has been done, but building a Tractrix horn and crossing over at maybe 600 hz to lighten the load on a 1" driver seems to make sense.

I also guess that somebody had already made a 2 way. How high can the bass bin go without falling apart?

I should rephrase my question. What is the advantage to using the K400 horn crossed at 400 Hz? Wouldn't the K55 driver do better crossed at maybe 500 Hz or above?

I realize that at a certain point you wind up with a Cornwall, but wouldn't this speaker potentially have better performance with the woofer going from maybe 550 to 600 HZ down, a custom built Tractrix Horn and a K55 or similar driver up to about 4500 Hz and a Crites or JBL tweeter taking over from there?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

meagain,

Yes, it will use my new tweeter, my new replacement for the K-33E woofer and a new midrange horn that will go down to 400 hz yet still fit in a Cornwall size cabinet.

Bob Crites

Bob,

Did this ever get this configuration built? I was wondering how it sounded.

Peter Bliss

EDIT

I saw them on your site. How to they measure up the the conscala 1 you are disiussing here? What mid range are you using now that the Pyles are no more?

I would say that around 15 pairs of the Cornscala IIs with the Pyle Pro PH2380P midrange horns got built before the stock of those horns ran out. It was an excellent horn and to me at least sounded almost exactly like the K-400 in the Cornscala 1s. Now, the best I can find for a horn that will fit inside a Cornwall size cabinet is the PH800 horn. It is good, but smaller than the PH2380P, so can't handle lower than about 500 hz. I think it sounds much better than the standard Cornwall K-600 horn anyway even when crossed at 600 hz. Big horns just sound better in my opinion.

Bob

i have the selemnium HL4750_slf in my cornscalas and they sound awsome i had to use a adapter to mount the k55v horn to it and i am in the prosses of building some cornwall with the selemnium hm3950 witch fit in the size of the cornwall box and they both are rated down to 400hz but you have to drill3 holes for the adapter

Bob, in trying to deal with the shape of the bass bin and keeping it sound friendly, more rectangle than cube. I have intended to use the K400 but I believe it's close to 24" long. What is the next best horn you can use and how long is it. In trying to get to a more rectangle shape, I want to get the depth less than the 24"

Tghanks

Bob

First of all, the 24 X 24 X 24 bass bin in these Cornscala 1s give me the best bass I have ever heard prehaps excepting the Jubilee bass bin. Now, I haven't heard all of them, but in my experience, I like it better than the mighty Khorn's bass. I will also add here (before I get slammed for that statement) that I have heard Khorns sound lots better than I am able to get mine to sound in my listening room.

Anyway, if you use the 24 inch depth of the bass bin, then the K-400 fits fine. The only other horn that I think works the same is the now gone Pyle Pro PH2380P. I did in fact use that one crossed at 400 hz in the Cornscala 1 for quite awhile and had some people over to listen while the Pyle Pro horn and the K-400 and I think it was pretty much the consensus that they sounded very close to the same.

A shorter depth horn that I have used in the Cornscala II is the Clear Power PH800 horn. It will fit in a Cornwall size cabinet and sounds pretty good. Needs to cross at 500 to 600 though.

Bob

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bob, you stated that the shelf extends back 9.5 inches. What effect would extending the shelf back farther produce?

I made a bass bin per your CS dimensions for use as a subwoofer (bass reinforcement) to my Khorns but extended the shelf back to 18". I really like the way it sounds so I have not tinkered with it although I can easily change the shelf extension if it would sound better otherwise.

Guest David H

Crossman, obviously this is not Bob, but by extending the shelf an additional 9 inches you have made a drastic change to a specifically tuned box. By making this change, you have undoubtably effected driver loading and raised the resonant frequency of the box. I dont think this was the effect you were going for. I reccomend you modify the shelf back to stock length, I believe this will reneder better bass output down to the 30Hz range.

Check out this side for more info on sealed and ported boxes. www.lalena.com

Guest David H

"raised the resonant frequency of the box. "

Keeping the area the same and making it longer LOWERS the tuning.

My mistake, make the port any length you want.

Bob, you stated that the shelf extends back 9.5 inches. What effect would extending the shelf back farther produce?

I made a bass bin per your CS dimensions for use as a subwoofer (bass reinforcement) to my Khorns but extended the shelf back to 18". I really like the way it sounds so I have not tinkered with it although I can easily change the shelf extension if it would sound better otherwise.

Crossman, I'm no pro...but here is my limited experience....

I made a cab slightly larger...with a longer port an put in a crites woofer. Yes...it went "lower"...but lost the "snap" compared to the "tuning" typically used for that woofer around 45Hz. The "Cornwall hump" has a characteristic sound sought out by many..... would stick with the common port length/size.

jc

• 4 years later...