Let's Build a Driver Test Box

BEC

Thanks for bumping. I wanted to bump it a few days ago but figured you were busy fielding tweeter questions and didn't need more on your pile.

I SO envision a split version. Horn section nicely veneered to use atop or below TV. Bass bin cube in a shallower cabinet sitting on the floor much like a sub.

Failing that - I'd sure love to hear one of these.

meagain,

You have got excellent taste. Those possibilities would make excellent use of a cornscala.

They do sound very good. It has the smooth midrange of a Lascala or Khorn with the K401 horn and the chest thumping bass of a cornwall. For the Cornscala II, Bob has got a midrange horn (shorter to fit inside the Cornwall dimensions cab) replacement for the K400/401.

One could turn the cornscala II on it's side, too, as a single under the TV screen unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob,

What kind of amplifier are you using to power these test boxes?

Bruce

Bruce, I am cracking up at your question!

Bob probably has the first amp he ever bought/built as a teen.(and let me say that was a VERY long time ago. Bob is older than dirt and WAY older than me and DaddyDee[;)])

He has a row of shelves covered with old amps. Some things that I had forgotten even existed. The guy has a pair of Quads collecting dust over there, and he runs an old Sony receiver? No way.

Bob puts on some music and I sit down in front of the Cornscala/test-boxes. WHAT? The old Sony sounds really good! Bob has a good ear.......for a man of his age.[:D]

Terry

Terry,

I was not trying to be funny, but I see how it came out that way. I have an old 50 watt amplifier, and wanted to make sure that it would power the test box, as I am considering purchasing a set-up from Bob vs. bulidng my own. I sort of figured that Bob had several amps to choose from!

Bruce

Terry,

I was not trying to be funny, but I see how it came out that way. I have an old 50 watt amplifier, and wanted to make sure that it would power the test box, as I am considering purchasing a set-up from Bob vs. bulidng my own. I sort of figured that Bob had several amps to choose from!

Bruce

Bruce,

.........I was not trying to be funny, but ........

No, No, I was the one trying to be funny. As a matter of fact, I can't believe that Bob has let me get away with my kind-hearted abuse without a comment. What Bob considers to be a mess in his lab/shop, is IMHO a darn good listening environment and the Cornscala sounded great.

IMO, this hobby is not necessarily about how much money you have to spend on it, It is about what you know and how you spend your money.

Let me assure you that if your old 50w amp is of good quality, it will have no prob pushing a Cornscala type - test box. Go for it!

Regards,

Terry

This morning I was thinking about some 1-1/2" MDF I've used for cabinets. it's called "Ultralite," and it weighs about 1/3 less than regular MDF. I'll bet it'd work well for enclosures, probably very stiff.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I bought a complete set of woofers, crossovers, mid drivers and tweeters from Bob. Also got the K-401 horns from John Albright. The plan was to build a pair of La Scalas.

Reading about this project, and the Cornscala 2 project, I have been wondering if this type of speaker would better suit my musical taste. Gaining the extra bass form the cornwall-type means that I dont really have to go for a sub, and therefore saving space in my living room.

The question is( to Bob and others): Can I use the Type AA crossover in this project? Do I have to rebuild it from scratch, or just change some values?

I would really appreciate the help. I do really like this idea:)

Best Regards

T Rokkones, Norway

Hi, I bought a complete set of woofers, crossovers, mid drivers and tweeters from Bob. Also got the K-401 horns from John Albright. The plan was to build a pair of La Scalas.

Reading about this project, and the Cornscala 2 project, I have been wondering if this type of speaker would better suit my musical taste. Gaining the extra bass form the cornwall-type means that I dont really have to go for a sub, and therefore saving space in my living room.

The question is( to Bob and others): Can I use the Type AA crossover in this project? Do I have to rebuild it from scratch, or just change some values?

I would really appreciate the help. I do really like this idea:)

Best Regards

T Rokkones, Norway

The crossover would need to be different to account for the difference in sensitivity.  A standard type B (Cornwall) crossover would work fine, but there are other options also.  Since you are using the CT125 tweeters and K-401 horns, you can modify the crossover points to 400 and 4500.  The schematic below is what I am using now. 

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819348970728_thumb.jpg

OK .. I have my new to me La Scala Spilt Industrial. I am real happy with them and am not planning on any changes soon, so this is kind of hypethetical for my own knowledge and future planning.

What if I just wanted to build the bottom of the Cornscala for use with the tops that already house my tweeter and squaker.

Crossover wise, if I just wanted to plug the Cornscala bass bin into my tops with AA crossovers ... how bad would the match be ???

Or on a larger lanscape ... what about using both bass bins ... just adding the Cornscala bin to the existing Lascala.

Would you leave the AA crossover and make one for the Cornscala bin that only worked below 100hz??

OK .. I have my new to me La Scala Spilt Industrial. I am real happy with them and am not planning on any changes soon, so this is kind of hypethetical for my own knowledge and future planning.

What if I just wanted to build the bottom of the Cornscala for use with the tops that already house my tweeter and squaker.

Crossover wise, if I just wanted to plug the Cornscala bass bin into my tops with AA crossovers ... how bad would the match be ???

Or on a larger lanscape ... what about using both bass bins ... just adding the Cornscala bin to the existing Lascala.

Would you leave the AA crossover and make one for the Cornscala bin that only worked below 100hz??

Using the Cornscala bass bin with a Lascala top is what this is all about and the AA crossover would not be right for that because of the difference in sensitivity of the ported bass bin compared to the horn loaded bass of the Lascala.  So, for that you would need the crossover to attenuate the mid and high drivers more like the schematic above shows.  

About adding the bass bin to the Lascala and using both at once, much more complicated.

Bob