Dylanl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you might check at the Altec site.

The specs look really good on these, but IIRC correctly the the 35Hz response is 10dB down, not three or five.

Also want to keep in mind that these things, while built like a tank, are fugly. Don't think you'll see many in lacquered hardwood. Flat black seems to be heavily favored. Of course, that's just my personal opinion, I'll probably get flamed by the Altec lovers. :) There's a couple very knowledgeable Altec fans who post here regularly.

Personally I love them. Yes they are BIG, so you need some room, but what you get in return is some very clean crisp high and very fast tight bass. Because they were make for pro sound they typically are battleship grey. I veneered mine in walnut, added walnut risers and full grills. The home version of the A7 was the Magnificients with lattice grills. I run the 416-8c woofer and 802-8G HF driver through a 511B horn. These are around 102-104 dB efficient allowing me to push them with a 2A3 SET amp. Horns love tubes and SET even more so. Very rich and warm. These are the closest speakers I've found to my Martin Logan CLS for realism. The big horn makes all the difference in the world.

new_livingroomthm.jpg

Dylan---I've owned many Klipsch and Altec speakers. I'll give my opinion. The last VOTs I owned were A5s.

Where the VOT shines is in the midrange. Both the 515 and 416 woofers were wonderful midrange reproducers. Combined with either 1" or 1.4" Altec compression drivers the result is unmatched quality of vocal reproduction. The human voice can be reproduced with a realism that is downright spooky.

Bass is somewhat lacking when using the 825-828 combination horn-reflex cabinet. The 416 does deeper bass than the 515 in this cabinet and sounds more robust. Altec woofers and cabinets have some strange qualities though that kind'a defy the specs so to speak. The finest reproduction of electric bass I ever heard was from an OLD A7 I had. It didn't go deep but it just had something going for it. 825-828 bass is deeper and more robust than a LaScala but not as deep and robust as the Khorn.

When used in a simple vented cabinet the 416 has bass extension comparable to a Cornwall.

High frequncies are soft and recessed compared to Klipsch. The Altec is certainly not as extended. However the highs are undistorted and very listenable. But have no doubt about it, highs are soft and many Altec fans I know rig super-tweeters. When using the 1.4" 288 compression drivers I used supertweeters, when using 1" 800 and 900 series drivers I didn't.

Dynamics, efficiency, clarity and distortion are comparable to the Klipschorn.

Compared to Klipsch the drivers of the VOT have a much higher quality of workmanship and finish. However this has no audible effect. But the stuff sure looks cool.

The VOTs and the "real" Klipsches are great speakers and share many common virtues. But the "flavor" is different.

----------------

On 10/2/2004 11:49:53 AM tubelover wrote:

WTF is an Altec thread doing on the "KLIPSCH" 2-Channel?
----------------

It is more appropriate and on topic than some of the douchebag avatars around here.

----------------

On 10/2/2004 4:15:59 PM DeanG wrote:

I can never make heads or tails of all of the horn/driver combinations. That Brennan guy should make a chart of us horn dummies.

----------------

Yea, Tom has forgotten more about JBL/Altec than I know. 9.gif

----------------

On 10/2/2004 4:09:06 PM bclarke421 wrote:

----------------

On 10/2/2004 11:49:53 AM tubelover wrote:

WTF is an Altec thread doing on the "KLIPSCH" 2-Channel?----------------

It is more appropriate and on topic than some of the douchebag avatars around here.

-------

To take a quote out of TBrennan's book, feel free to ignore douchebag avatars such as this.
2.gif2.gif j/k